Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #1

Frozen water heater?

When I backed our coach out of the hanger to check the batteries recently I happened to notice the water heater was protruding out of the coach side wall.

I grabbed it only to discover it felt loose like it was not properly anchored. Along the bottom I felt two C brackets that were dangling down from the water heater assembly. I could feel a support rail underneath that they squared up to but apparently the screws came out or broke off so the brackets were now only attached to the heater assembly.

It was one of those “huh?” moments. I decided I would reattach the brackets when I brought it home at the end of March.

Later that night it hit me. I think it froze and burst when the temps dipped down in January. The Dealer had winterized the coach as I trailed along behind taking notes and asking questions. So I know it was winterized.

Dealer will take a look at it next week when I pull it out of storage early and drop it off at the Dealers shop. They committed to any repairs necessary due to freezing as a part of my paying them to winterize.

What I don’t get is since the water heater was bypassed and then drained as was all the water system, how would the heater freeze? There may have been a bit of water left inside, though he left the drain plug out of the heater, but it had plenty of room to expand and should not have damaged the heater let alone pushed it out a half inch.

Anyone else have this experience?

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One step in the winterization procedure is to drain all water from the heater. IF you paid to have this done, and it was not done, then you should be contacting a lawyer as the dealer will likely say "not our fault" and try to make you pay.. Even if it's his technician who messed up. I'm not suggesting you sue the dealer..... yet... After all we don't know if that is what happened.

But you should be making that initial contact NOW.

Also, if possible observe and document when the technician inspects the heater.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

Take plenty of pictures with the stamp date on them
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gary, If your coach was properly winterized then the damage you are describing can't happen. My guess is that when they winterized it they did bypass the water heater, but forgot to drain it. Since it wasn't drained; when the water froze, it did what freezing water does. It expanded whatever was containing it. The only other way I can think of that would expand a water heater is if they really over pressurized you water system. If the WH walls are the weakest point in the water system then the pressure would expand them and cause the damage you describe.

Sounds like your dealer is going to work with you on the repairs, however I would agree with taking pictures of the damage with the date stamp. I would also think about getting an independent RV repair company to document the damage and their opinion of what caused it. I'd also have them document that the rest off the coach water lines have antifreeze in them.

Playing devil's advocate:

I'm sure your heater has ruptured and when the water thaws it will most likely drain out of the heater. If this happens before you get it to the dealer they could try and say it was drained properly and the damage is not their responsibility. This is where the independent documentation of damage may help. The bulging of the WH wont go away when the water drains so I don't think they can argue something other than water caused the damage. If they did argue that it isn't their fault then I would ask them how can you can fill the water heater without removing the antifreeze from the water lines?

Bottom line I think your dealer will take care of everything, however it's always a good idea to over document things.

Keep us in the loop and good luck.

Marc
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #5

Thanks all, good suggestions.

I should have added the comment that I have an excellent relationship with the dealer and I can't imagine there will be an issue. They have taken good care of me from the beginning.

I have had a number of issues of course, new coach and new model to boot so I've spent a lot of time with the service manager and the techs as they worked through a myriad of issues in the first six months of ownership. Know them all by first name and they know me.

I asked them to train me to winterize; they agreed. So I paid for winterization and then followed him around as he explained everything he did. All the while taking notes.

We talked a great deal about the water heater as he showed me where the bypass is and then pulled the plug and drained it. He left the drain plug out on the shelf as we buttoned it all up. Its still sitting there.

I called them immediately; they are surprised too. We'll figure it out and I'll report back. And, the coach is still under warranty.

As I write this, I also wonder if it was water behind the water heater that froze. I wouldn't know where water in that location would come from other than a leak in the coach perhaps that I was unaware of. If so, again, it should be covered under warranty, (the coach won't be a year old until late this month).

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
the water heater was bypassed and then drained as was all the water system, how would the heater freeze? There may have been a bit of water left inside, though he left the drain plug out of the heater,
A few here need to get thier reading glasses checked.

I somehow don't think "lawyering up" is required at this point.
A good technician I'm sure will figure it out.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #7

Update:

The water heater was not frozen, it was simply falling out of the coach. Coachman quality issue again. The dealer could have refastened the two straps holding the hinged door that encloses the water heater but chose a better route. To my amazement (and amazement of the head mech) the heater was simply sitting on a piece of wood but otherwise unattached other than the water lines and the door which was intended to “hold it in place”. Good Grief.

The tech said he just couldn't let me back out with that arrangement so he pulled the adjacent inside panel, fabricated a new perch, and then anchored the new perch to the coach. He used straps over the top of the heather to anchor it to the perch. With the water heater firmly in its proper position, he reattached the straps holding lthe “access door” closed and added two additional straps. It was a very nice job. The warranty person took pics and they will present a warranty claim, no charge to me.

I may have quality issues with the coach (not so much anymore after everything wrong has been fixed) but I certainly have one of the best dealer service departments I think possible. Arbogast in Tipp City, Ohio just north of Dayton Ohio. If you are passing by and need work, stop in, great group of guys.

Gary
Old 03-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #8

Roll, thats great news, good to see another dealer doing his best to do right by you. Positive post about a dealer is all ways good.

Tags
heater, water