Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Grey water cleanout hose

I've searched and searched, but does anyone make a cleanout hose for the grey water tanks, similar to those available for black tanks.

Just basically a hose with a spinner of sort on the end you can put up the drain side until it's in the tank and let it rip.

I realize "stuff" will come out where the hose is, but I don't really case as it's mostly soapy water in our case with maybe some food residue.

I was thinking there could even be an adapter that allows the hose the pass through that's sealed and you pull the hose back, shut the valve and remove replacing with regular drain... but really... I'd settle for a spinner I could on the end of a hose. I could put a big basin to catch what comes out.

There has to be something out there.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
I've searched and searched, but does anyone make a cleanout hose for the grey water tanks, similar to those available for black tanks.

Just basically a hose with a spinner of sort on the end you can put up the drain side until it's in the tank and let it rip.

I realize "stuff" will come out where the hose is, but I don't really case as it's mostly soapy water in our case with maybe some food residue.

I was thinking there could even be an adapter that allows the hose the pass through that's sealed and you pull the hose back, shut the valve and remove replacing with regular drain... but really... I'd settle for a spinner I could on the end of a hose. I could put a big basin to catch what comes out.

There has to be something out there.
I want to say it is the same thing regardless of whether or not it is a Black or Grey tank.
gjames50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #3

Install a aftermarket waste tank flush kit like the Camco 40123 Quickie Flush with Back Flow Preventer

Install a backflush adapter like Valterra Hydroflush

**No recommendation on Brand just posting examples of Kits/Adapters

GREY Waste water can be nastier then Black Waste
Food debris rotten, greases/oils going rancid, Sloughed Skin Cells etc
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:05 PM   #4

Ran across this the other day on Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Flexi...s%2C222&sr=8-6
Jincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:14 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjames50 View Post
I want to say it is the same thing regardless of whether or not it is a Black or Grey tank.
The difference is that you can access the black tank via the toilet. Those "wands" are perfect for a good cleaning every once in a while, but there is no easy access to the grey tanks that way.

I'm thinking of taking the spinner off the end of the wand and attaching it to a long hose I can put up the dump pipe. It's such an obvious solution I'm kinda wondering why no one has done it yet.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:06 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
The difference is that you can access the black tank via the toilet. Those "wands" are perfect for a good cleaning every once in a while, but there is no easy access to the grey tanks that way.

I'm thinking of taking the spinner off the end of the wand and attaching it to a long hose I can put up the dump pipe. It's such an obvious solution I'm kinda wondering why no one has done it yet.
Other than you'll get a lap full of gray water gunk since you have to leave the valve open, it should work. I just got through installing a permanent gray tank flush in ours similar to the one OB showed.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:

Tough to stick hose up dump line and still have something to catch the flow out W/O getting messy

They have thught of it....see the Valterra Flush Adapter I posted
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:41 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Tough to stick hose up dump line and still have something to catch the flow out W/O getting messy

Only planning on using it on grey and grey #1 is just shower water anyway. We really don't much down the grey drains. Even the kitchen is probably 90% just rinsing water as we use paper plates or no plates etc.. and Lisa is such a good cook, there's really nothing on the plates anyway..
Old 10-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

FWIW, the flush unit might be the way I go. It involved opening up the bottom of the rig for that.. The Valterra would be useless as it will just fill the tank. I can do that with a hose in the sink. There's at least two 90 degree bends in about 5 foot of drain pipe before it gets to the opening. :( Not sure why they did it that way, but they did.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:21 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Miles-

On my coach, it's difficult to expose the side of the grey water tank enough to install a permanent flush line.

"Old-Biscuit" mentioned a back-flush adapter. I have used a Valterra Flush King back-flush adapter (link here) to flush both black and grey tanks. Camco makes a less-expensive version; I tried it and it did not work as well as the Valterra Flush King.

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:44 AM   #11

I have one of those flushing adapters, but it seems like most of the water just comes down the hose rather than up into the tank. I think you need to use one of those caps with a fitting to attach a regular garden hose to force water up into the tank.
This spring our black tank got totally clogged with hard scaly material similar to rust flakes. I shortened a length of sewer hose so that I could hold the end up and run a snake through to break up the clog, but not have everything run out all over me. It worked and I was able to pull the snake out and connect another hose to it before lowering the hose to drain.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose, water