Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 07:36 AM   #1

I'm in Ultra Lite Agony

I've made posts here about our search for a new TT and we are wanting to downsize a little looking at an Ultra Lite model. There are a lot of Ultra Lites out there, but few have a walk on roof. The problem is getting the sales people to be up front with you one way or the other as to the fact of if a unit has a walkable roof or not. Case in point we walked through a TT last weekend that we really liked. I was not satisfied at all with the salespersons response to my questions or rather the lack of. I wound up having to call the manufacturer to get the NO answer. I figured as much due to the salesman dancing around the question. Would have been a lot easier if he would have been truthful and forthcoming in the first place. I'm the one who had our 2007 Coachmen S.O.A. totaled recently due to a leak. The only models that I have come across in the Ultra Lite that has a walk on roof is the Coachmen Freedom Express or the Coachmen Apex. The Cruiser line also has a walk on roof but we have not yet seen one of these. This has really weighed heavily on me having gone through what we did with our last TT. A walk on roof is very important to me so you can check your roof for any maintenance needed periodically. Not for lounge chairs or for lounging. If I were to go out on a limb and try another Coachmen TT, which one would you suggest, the Freedom Express Line or the Apex? I'm sort of leaning right now towards the Freedom Express 257BHS. In the Apex line we are going to look at a 259BHSS model when it comes into the dealership. Any input from you Coachmen owners would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time. RR
RoadyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #2

I have the 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS and I'm very pleased with it. The only issues I have had were a faulty converter from day 1 that was not charging the battery when plugged into shore power. They warrantied it for me. Also I saw a small 1" gap in the seam of the slide out last weekend. I will probably fix that myself rather than hassle with taking it to the dealership.

When we first got the TT we went around with a screw driver and tightened all the turn-latches. We also replaced the keyed shower latch with a keyless turn-latch. I seriously doubt anyone is going to take a ninja shower on the side of my RV! Now we don't need to find the keys to wash up after hiking or dumping the tanks.

We've taken it on 6+ weekend trips and had nothing but pleasure out of it. About half of those trips were just my husband, me, and our dog. The other half we had 3-5 guests with us. Everyone enjoyed the amenities and comfort that the trailer provided. I love the outdoor kitchen. I love love love the power jack, stabilizers, and awning. Press a couple of buttons and I'm all set up.

Initially we used the only WDH that the dealership sold, which was a cheap friction-sway type. We're towing with a RAM 1500. Trucks passing and high wind were uneasy. I bought a Blue Ox WDH and the tow has been vastly improved. You're looking at a shorter/lighter FE, so you may not need the hitch upgrade.

I did add a 2 inch memory foam mattress topper to the residential size queen bed.

One thing I want to get is some X-chocks for added stability. The axles are spread very wide so I just need to make sure the XL X-chocks will work.

We initially went to the dealership to look at an Apex. It was fine, but felt more cramped inside than we imagined by looking at the floor plan. When we saw the bigger FE, we were sold.

I'm super happy with my FE.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #3

The Hemisphere Lites have walk on roofs.....