Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #1

Question Inverters & transfer switches for Leprechauns?

Would not have changed my decision to buy a Leprechaun (319MB) but it's annoying to not get at least an generator/shore power auto transfer switch and preferably an inverter as well. Maybe I'm the only one who cares?

For the moment, let's say I only want to watch TV and some low wattage activities, and that I'll live with the battery type and capacity that came with the rig.
  • Has anyone tackled these adds to a Leprechaun?
  • If so, what brand(s) of devices?
  • here in the coach did you put them?
  • Was this a DIY project? Or did you get professional help?
MWKingSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 06:21 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Doable, but I've got an electrical background. However, without knowing your coach I doubt it's a trivial piece of work for anyone.

For the transfer switch, it should be easy to identify where/how you currently switch between the generator and shorepower today (I assume you just plug the shorepower into generator output), so it would just be a question if there is enough physical room to mount the switch.

Two trains of thought for the inverter, you could rewire to have inverted power to a number of devices (and a larger inverter), or just focus on a small inverter specifically for a socket for the TV. The first requires some changes to your circuit breaker box. The latter would be easier of these two options, and just limit the work to adding a new box/socket (one that is powered by an inverter) to where the TV can plug into it....leaving everything else as is.

Understand that there are two different technologies of inverters. One is MSW (modified square waves) which are cheaper, less wattage, but can burn up plugged in devices, particularly any devices that have electronic controls. The other is PSW (pure sine wave), which are more efficient, more wattage, but more expensive. Read up on the pros and cons, to figure out exactly what types of devices are you intending to power.

There is also a difference in the functions of inverters. You can buy a small cheap 400 watt MSW inverter for less than 50 bucks. On the other hand, larger inverters that they put into motorhomes typically have 3 functions. An inverter (uses 12vDC to make 120vAC), a converter (uses 120vAC to make 12vDC, ie battery charger), and a transfer switch (switches the devices that are plugged into the inverter, between inverted power and shore/gen power. [Note, this is a different transfer switch than the one switching between generator and shorepower to the coach].

I assume you already have a stand alone converter.

The other thing to consider, is an inverter can get warm when running, so it also needs to be in a space that has air circulation. You have to know the amperage of the devices intending to power, to calculate the wattage of the inverter needed.

So what you want to do can be doable, but it's going to take some good planning and balance what you can reasonably do, with the budget you are willing to spend. It's clearly easier to add this capability while the coach is being built. If it was my coach, I'd probably just go the simple retrofit route just for the TV, and plan to upgrade coaches in a couple years. You'd have minimal years of payback. And I don't think I'd even bother with the shore/genny transfer switch. Plugging the shore power cord into the genny is no big deal.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #3

converter?

I've had to replace inverter and several things that were hooked up when it blew: both house batteries; main TV; microwave; coffee pot; after market alarm system. Just over two years later, had to replace house batteries again, told that the reason the batteries aren't holding charge is probably a converter problem. Any advice on how I can get a schematics to save yet another trip to repair shop?
Morerepairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morerepairs View Post
I've had to replace inverter and several things that were hooked up when it blew: both house batteries; main TV; microwave; coffee pot; after market alarm system. Just over two years later, had to replace house batteries again, told that the reason the batteries aren't holding charge is probably a converter problem. Any advice on how I can get a schematics to save yet another trip to repair shop?
No, but you'd be better off to start your own thread on this specific topic rather than hijacking mine. Better still if you can read the label on your power panel and find the right brand to ask about.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Doable, but I've got an electrical background. However, without knowing your coach I doubt it's a trivial piece of work for anyone.

For the transfer switch, it should be easy to identify where/how you currently switch between the generator and shorepower today (I assume you just plug the shorepower into generator output), so it would just be a question if there is enough physical room to mount the switch.

Two trains of thought for the inverter, you could rewire to have inverted power to a number of devices (and a larger inverter), or just focus on a small inverter specifically for a socket for the TV. The first requires some changes to your circuit breaker box. The latter would be easier of these two options, and just limit the work to adding a new box/socket (one that is powered by an inverter) to where the TV can plug into it....leaving everything else as is.

Understand that there are two different technologies of inverters. One is MSW (modified square waves) which are cheaper, less wattage, but can burn up plugged in devices, particularly any devices that have electronic controls. The other is PSW (pure sine wave), which are more efficient, more wattage, but more expensive. Read up on the pros and cons, to figure out exactly what types of devices are you intending to power.

There is also a difference in the functions of inverters. You can buy a small cheap 400 watt MSW inverter for less than 50 bucks. On the other hand, larger inverters that they put into motorhomes typically have 3 functions. An inverter (uses 12vDC to make 120vAC), a converter (uses 120vAC to make 12vDC, ie battery charger), and a transfer switch (switches the devices that are plugged into the inverter, between inverted power and shore/gen power. [Note, this is a different transfer switch than the one switching between generator and shorepower to the coach].

I assume you already have a stand alone converter.

The other thing to consider, is an inverter can get warm when running, so it also needs to be in a space that has air circulation. You have to know the amperage of the devices intending to power, to calculate the wattage of the inverter needed.

So what you want to do can be doable, but it's going to take some good planning and balance what you can reasonably do, with the budget you are willing to spend. It's clearly easier to add this capability while the coach is being built. If it was my coach, I'd probably just go the simple retrofit route just for the TV, and plan to upgrade coaches in a couple years. You'd have minimal years of payback. And I don't think I'd even bother with the shore/genny transfer switch. Plugging the shore power cord into the genny is no big deal.
Thanks, but I pretty well knew all that already. Hoping for someone with specific knowledge about Leprechauns.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:03 AM   #6

Sorry, brand new to site, not sure how to post, protocol, and such.
Morerepairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWKingSD View Post
Would not have changed my decision to buy a Leprechaun (319MB) but it's annoying to not get at least an generator/shore power auto transfer switch and preferably an inverter as well. Maybe I'm the only one who cares?

For the moment, let's say I only want to watch TV and some low wattage activities, and that I'll live with the battery type and capacity that came with the rig.
My brother bought a 2000 watt inverter and hooked it up to his batteries. When traveling down the road he just plugs in the coach power cord into the inverter and it runs TV microwave etc... when going down the road. When he turns off the the engine he unplugs the power cord and turns on the generator or plugs into AC power. Pretty easy setup for the laymen.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
My brother bought a 2000 watt inverter and hooked it up to his batteries. When traveling down the road he just plugs in the coach power cord into the inverter and it runs TV microwave etc... when going down the road. When he turns off the the engine he unplugs the power cord and turns on the generator or plugs into AC power. Pretty easy setup for the laymen.
I hope your brother turns off his converter or charger, while plugged into the inverter.

Charging batteries from the batteries is like a dog chasing his tail.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:42 PM   #9

Since the "coach's power cord" is on the outside, I'm curious where this inverter is installed to plug the cord into... Not to mention the 30 or 50 A plug on the end of that cord, and the problem with the battery charger also mentioned here.

Not that all those issues couldn't be overcome, but would not be quite as simple as it sounds.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I hope your brother turns off his converter or charger, while plugged into the inverter.

Charging batteries from the batteries is like a dog chasing his tail.
He connected the inverter to the vehicle batteries not the house batteries and he only uses it while they are going down the road instead of the generator. This has worked for him for the last 6 or 7 years.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWKingSD View Post

Your observation are the nature of the beast you bought.

The armstrong transfer switch is not that big a deal. Just plug the shore cord into the generator output when you stow the cord. At least you know the status of the transfer or can easily check.

Does your TV work without one? Mine does but it is not a Leprechaun. A lot of units come with a 12 VDC TV wired to the 12 V buss.

You do not have enough battery to support much of an inverter. If you need one for the TV consider a small portable type 300 or 500 W unit. That will have internal fuses and outlets so it will only need a 12 VDC feed. Check the wattage on the TV and go as small as you can reasonable go with the inverter. You probably need less than 100 watts.

Seriously consider adding a second house battery if you do not have one.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #12

I run my trailer's TV and Sattelite reciever off a 100w inverter plugged into a cigarette lighter socket. The DVD and original TV were DC but the new TV was AC. They use less than 50 watts.

Picked up my new Leprechaun yesterday. Just learned the TV on it is AC only. I'll be putting my $20 inverter in that loop soon.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, switch, transfer switch