Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #1

Making the bed

We have purchased a new Forest River Solera 24' and took our first trip last week. The biggest challenge we faced was "making the bed." Mattress is full (double)size and 70% of the perimeter is in contact with walls. We added an egg-crate topper which adds to the challenge.

Are bedding items available for RVs that would address this item? Has anyone created an owner's solutions?
Jackie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #2

You will like it here. Welcome!

Your "how to make the bed" problem is far too common. The next time you buy a rig, you will look for issues like this. Another common issue is that mattresses in RVs and trailers are often not standard sizes, so we get stuck looking for sheets that fit. One idea for you is the bedding sets we used to get when I was in the Navy. They had a fitted sheet on bottom with the top sheet sewed onto the bottom sheet. There was an opening on the top and part of one side. They were known as "F@rt Sacks". You might be able to make something similar.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #3

I never make the bed. When my wife makes it she raises the head up to make it easer. Of corse you need a bed that does that.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a corner bed and I also have a mattress topper. I bought an extra fitted sheet to match and place one fitted sheet on the mattress and then put the mattress pad and the fitted sheet that I wash weekly ONLY on the topper. This way I can fold the topper forward to place the fitted sheet on more easily and then "toss" it back into place. You're aim will get better over time.

Daily I don't make the bed like you would at home, instead I fold the top sheet and blanket and lay them at the foot of the bed, tucked back behind the wall. It's not the most decorative way, but hey, I'm retired and feel I no longer need to compete with Martha. I do buy sheets that coordinate with my coach.

Some folks use a comforter and toss it into place. My aim's not that good. You could use one of those long pick up tools to straighten the top corners if so inclined.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #5

Yea we bought a layout in this trailer that does not have any sides against a wall. Been there done that. I would leave it un mdae but my wife will have no part of that.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Making the Bed

On our current 5th wheel RV and our last Travel Trailer, we replaced the RV mattress with a standard Queen sized one. Not only does it alleviate the problem of making the bed, it is a heck of a lot more comfortable, too. I suspect many people take this approach wherever possible.
pthomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we have the ACE 29.2...walk around bed with very little walking space...RV Queen. We have a memory foam mattress top which I stitch to the mattress so it stays put..otherwise it seemed to shift . I secure our fitted queen sheets with two sets of spenders purchased at Walmart...Next the top sheet which I tuck under the mattress and over the bed skirt....top it with a comforter and pillow shams....
Old 07-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkerb View Post
we have the ACE 29.2...walk around bed with very little walking space...RV Queen. We have a memory foam mattress top which I stitch to the mattress so it stays put..otherwise it seemed to shift . I secure our fitted queen sheets with two sets of spenders purchased at Walmart...Next the top sheet which I tuck under the mattress and over the bed skirt....top it with a comforter and pillow shams....

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Reheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Many of my customers with this bed set up used sleeping bags. Camping world sold a bag that was queen size or full. They had a sheet that was held in with velcro. One side had a little bit of insulation for the summer and flip it over and you had more insulation for winter. These were made for campers, not for outside use. Several of our drivers used them and said they worked well.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have been using Camper RV sheets for several years and they are nice. The bottom sheet it fitted of course, and the top sheet is fitted at the bottom. This make it impossible to pull out. By keeping the sheet stabile it makes the top covers easier to adjust.

Sheets are available through Allyson Brooke on Amazon
Old 08-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #11

Just curious

I was wondering if your bed is on a slide out. Ours is. When we make the bed, we run the slide out, then slide the mattress as far towards the end of the bed that we can [it can't go any further than the wardrobe,] slip on the fitted bottom sheet, slide the mattress back up and finish making from there. It made our task very much more simple.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #12

Evergreen Owners Club
Our 2014 Bayhill 365 has lots of room on both sides and end of the bed. That was one of the major things we were looking for before our purchase. Our old 5th wheel required DW to scoot in sideways next to the closet door.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
When we had a FR Solera with the corner bed, I used a throw and the sheets under weren't perfect - but it looked made up. Also use a fitted sheet that is elastic. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1407891545.411463.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	566.3 KB
ID:	70633
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #14

Welcome to theforum...

My DW will only have an RV with a walk around bed....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote