Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #1

Mirada - ample tail end clearance?

In our ongoing research for our next motorhome, the Mirada is on our short list. I'm noticing that while other manufacturers sometimes angle the tail end of their coaches upward to allow for more clearance, while the Mirada is pretty much a straight line from the back axle rearward. With a 240 inch wheel base on the 34 ft. model we are looking at, and a 10 ft overhang on the back, just curious if scraping the tailend will be more of a concern on this coach?

I realize this can be minimized with smart driving and approaching problem areas at an angle, etc. But curious if others have found this to be an issue?

If you are a Mirada owner, I'm also open to other impressions of your coach, especially if it's a 2010 or newer unit.

Many thanks,

Mike
1943D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Hi Mike -

I don't think it will be a problem. That's what the side cameras and mirrors help with. Here are a bunch of helpful videos that will help you with that (scroll down as there are a bunch in this series). RV Driver Confidence Course: Part 1 - Better RVing

There's also a new board on the Forest Rivers Owners forum where some Mirada owners have chimed in. Maybe you could reach out to them directly to help as well. You can see that thread here (I know it says "Encounter" but scroll down a bit....): Coachmen Encounter Forum? - Forest River Forums

Hope this helps!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #3

We have a 2012 Mirada 34BH and have not had any issues with the tail length. However, I am careful and observant of terrain, especially when backing up.

Most campgrounds geared for MH's have accounted for this. If you dry camp remotely, just be extra careful.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

Like Go6 I have an Encounter. It is straight as well, (all the Coachmen motorhomes are I believe). My Encounter is close to 38 feet long with the same wheel base. I have yet to scrape the tail and don't consider it a problem.

I have noted that the hitch has extended contact points near the center which I assume will hit and slide before anything sensitive lands on the pavement. They hang down maybe two inches but I’m guessing at that since it was some time ago I noticed them.

Frankly I find the tail wag and tail swing to be more problematic. Tail wag will be handled by the Ultratrac tracbar I purchased and will install this spring but tail swing is just something you have to manage.

You can get an idea of the risk if you find an empty parking lot, pull up alongside a straight painted line (wheels right up to the edge of the line) and then, cranking in a full turn away from the painted line, start to pull out. Continue the turn for 4 feet or so; stop and check the location of the tail and how far over the painted line you have gone.

I get roughly 40 inches of swing over the line in the Encounter. That can be dangerous trying to pull away from gas pumps in a busy gas station and be careful when parked up near a building or alongside a truck or another motorhome.

By the way I think this problem is somewhat unique to the gas rigs with our short wheel base configurations. Certainly many diesel pushers are longer but...they have longer wheel bases and so less swing to deal with (IMO).

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen