Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Need help with console Ideas.

The console in our Coachmen Mirada leaves a lot to be desired. So I would like to build something more functional but not to big and heavy as it sits on the engine cover/doghouse. Has anyone made anything? If so, could you post pictures as to give me ideas to reflect on?

Name:   showimagerv.jpg
Views: 2519
Size:  10.5 KB
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
ICH

Forest River Owners Club
I did something other than a built-in console in my Mirada. I purchased an ottoman at target that has a reversible lid that sits in between the seats and functions as a tray without interfering with the stock console. Flip the lid over and it functions as a padded foot rest when sitting in the euro recliner.
ICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the reply but, DW said all vehicles should have a glove box to keep glove box stuff (?????)in. So I want to build her a console with a glove box as well as cup holders. Keep Mama happy and your happy. She also saw the ottoman you mentioned and is interested in getting one, it will also give her more storage space.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICH View Post
I did something other than a built-in console in my Mirada. I purchased an ottoman at target that has a reversible lid that sits in between the seats and functions as a tray without interfering with the stock console. Flip the lid over and it functions as a padded foot rest when sitting in the euro recliner.

LOL Did the same thing. Bought two of them, one for me and one for DW. Put them in front of the couch for dinner in front of the TV, and for legs-up when snoozing after dinner.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotago2 View Post
Thanks for the reply but, DW said all vehicles should have a glove box to keep glove box stuff (?????)in. So I want to build her a console with a glove box as well as cup holders. Keep Mama happy and your happy. She also saw the ottoman you mentioned and is interested in getting one, it will also give her more storage space.
Cup holders and some kind of storage in the dash area are both lacking in my Encounter, which is probably very similar to your Mirada.

You'll laugh I'm sure but I purchased an automotive center console about 30 inches long and 6-7 inches wide which has 4 functional cup holders, a storage area with a cover and some open trays. I found it at a Walmart or discount store I don't recall exactly where. I put it between the drivers seat and drivers window. It fits perfectly and is handy for whoever is driving. I used very short self tapping screws, just 3 or 4 to anchor it to the carpet. Did the same with an open tray made for automobile drive train humps but with a flat bottom. It also has 4 adjustable cup holders and a large open tray. Anchored it the same way but on the engine cover on the DW side. My plastic dash (some sarcasm intended) sticks out and faces the driver leaving the passenger side more open.

This was a quick fix; I may change out the tray on her side at some point, the screws are barely into the carpet and so the install is easily reversible. The console on my side is invisible to riders or guests and it’s handy so I’ll likely leave it.

I would be cautious about installing a large structure between the seats as you may hamper egress/ingress. In an emergency that could be a problem.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks all for your ideas and input, I started working on something this afternoon it will only be about 12x12x12 with a small glove box and cup holder. As was said, don't want it to big to get in the way for egress.

If interested I'll post pictures if I can figure out how.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Cup holders and some kind of storage in the dash area are both lacking in my Encounter, which is probably very similar to your Mirada.

You'll laugh I'm sure but I purchased an automotive center console about 30 inches long and 6-7 inches wide which has 4 functional cup holders, a storage area with a cover and some open trays. I found it at a Walmart or discount store I don't recall exactly where. I put it between the drivers seat and drivers window. It fits perfectly and is handy for whoever is driving. I used very short self tapping screws, just 3 or 4 to anchor it to the carpet. Did the same with an open tray made for automobile drive train humps but with a flat bottom. It also has 4 adjustable cup holders and a large open tray. Anchored it the same way but on the engine cover on the DW side. My plastic dash (some sarcasm intended) sticks out and faces the driver leaving the passenger side more open.

This was a quick fix; I may change out the tray on her side at some point, the screws are barely into the carpet and so the install is easily reversible. The console on my side is invisible to riders or guests and it’s handy so I’ll likely leave it.

I would be cautious about installing a large structure between the seats as you may hamper egress/ingress. In an emergency that could be a problem.
LOL I did the same thing Roll but, only on the drivers side
Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A new console and drivers side cup holder is on my to do list. I'm just finishing up a computer desk to replace the euro chair behind the passenger seat. Hopefully I'll have them done before I head north at the end of April for the summer.

Here's a picture of the computer desk. The drawer fronts are not the best but they are only temporary. I should have the new ones done this week.

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Marc. I am also looking at replacing the seat with a cabinet/desk. But DW wants something that will fold open on her lap to put the laptop on. And maybe a little smaller. But I like what you did. Looks good.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #10

I really like that Marc, nice work.

Gary
Old 08-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotago2 View Post
The console in our Coachmen Mirada leaves a lot to be desired. So I would like to build something more functional but not to big and heavy as it sits on the engine cover/doghouse. Has anyone made anything? If so, could you post pictures as to give me ideas to reflect on?
Attachment 18107

This is the exact reason I was surfing on the 'net...to find a solution to our lack of console space. After not finding anything, I used the little woodworking knowledge I possess and put this together.
Attached Images

JGo1-n-Co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #12

More photos
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #13

And the last one

And just so you know, this console fits over the original and I attached it with screws. Solid as a rock!!

We have 4 cup holders and three "hidden compartments". Guess they ain't hidden now.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGo1-n-Co View Post
And the last one

And just so you know, this console fits over the original and I attached it with screws. Solid as a rock!!

We have 4 cup holders and three "hidden compartments". Guess they ain't hidden now.
I like it, interested in doing them for money?

Roll