Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2023, 04:52 AM   #1

Need to confirm roof material, appropriate maintenance products

I have a new-to-me 2017 or 2018 Wildwood X-Lite 201BHXL. Bought it from a bank repo auction, where it was listed as a 2018 model, but the sticker on the side gives a manufacture date of March 2017.

I've seen a number of forum posts and dealer ads that suggest that X-Lites made during this time have the Alpha Systems SuperFlex roof membrane. However, I can find no information directly from Forest River to confirm this. I looked up manuals and brochures for the 2017 and 2018 models, and they contain pretty much no information about the roof.

I need to do a thorough cleaning of the roof and some repair work on the sealant. My understanding is that Alpha is very particular about the products that can be used on their roofs.

I'm hoping someone who owns a '17 or '18 X-Lite can confirm the roofing material and the appropriate maintenance products.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2023, 07:22 AM   #2

If you remove the trim ring on bathroom vent you can see the roof material. If roof material is same color both sides it's likely TPO. EPDM will have a fabric backing of a different color.

Here is a link:
https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2016/0...oof-do-i-have/

RoadrunnerII
Old 02-01-2023, 10:48 AM   #3

Thanks. Do you know if SuperFlex is a type of TPO or EPDM? I've seen promotional literature that claims it is different and somehow better, but of course they don't say anything about the actual chemistry of it.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:58 AM   #4

Alpha's SuperFlex roofing membrane is a TPO, which stands for thermoplastic polyolefin.

Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as dish soap, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly abrasive products during routine cleaning.

When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking.

EDPM.......rubber roof
Cleaning .........same as TPO
Warm soap/water, light scrub, rinse
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:09 AM   #5

I believe if you provide the manufacturer with the VIN of the unit they can give you its model year. My 2014 MH was built by Itasca in January of 2013. I bought it in March 2013.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:57 AM   #6

Thanks, folks. I just checked the membrane via the bathroom vent, and it is white on both sides. So presumably SuperFlex or some other TPO product.

Sounds like any mild soap is fine for cleaning. For lap sealant and sealing tape, I'll probably try to find Alpha branded products just to be safe. Unless they are exorbitantly expensive, in which case I might take a chance on another brand that is made for TPO roofs.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:25 PM   #7

Dicor Lap Sealant, Eternabond tape
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, roof