Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

New Coachmen Mirada Owner Needs Advice

Just completed my first trip in my 35LS and had a heck of a time loosening the black water/grey water flexible hose from the fitting after dumping. It is sandwiched right between the black water and grey water valves and is hard to get leverage to loosen it. The flexible hose/dump comes up from an opening in the bottom of the compartment and makes an abrupt 90 degree turn to be attached, which appears to put added pressure on the fitting and makes it more difficult to attach/detach. Any tips or is there a tool that will make this task easier. I am reluctant to lubricate for fear it would come loose to easily. Any ideas or tips from you experienced RVers?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogdt47 View Post
Just completed my first trip in my 35LS and had a heck of a time loosening the black water/grey water flexible hose from the fitting after dumping. It is sandwiched right between the black water and grey water valves and is hard to get leverage to loosen it. The flexible hose/dump comes up from an opening in the bottom of the compartment and makes an abrupt 90 degree turn to be attached, which appears to put added pressure on the fitting and makes it more difficult to attach/detach. Any tips or is there a tool that will make this task easier. I am reluctant to lubricate for fear it would come loose to easily. Any ideas or tips from you experienced RVers?
I'm going to guess that you have the black sewer hose storage pipes underneath. If you do, take them off. Almost everyone that has a Coachmen with them does. What I did after taking them off was reroute the sewer hose connection down and out that hole.

I used these 2 adapters. Amazon.com: Valterra T1027 Rotating Rigid Sewer Pipe Bayonet Adapter with 3" Male Thread x Bayonet Hooks: Automotive

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...r_1_29&sr=8-29

I added a few fittings from Lowes to get it from in the bay to outside the bay. I wasn't able to use the threaded portion of the adapter. I had to shorten it and glue it to the 90 degree adapter to get it centered in the hole in the bottom of the bay. From there I used a 60 degree fitting and finally the sewer hose connection.

This is the adapter before being installed

Adapter installed

Final Result

Hose hookups are much easier now and our unit looks much better without those huge useless pipes on the bottom.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:22 AM   #3

I guess I am not understanding your comment about the huge useless pipes below the unit. My mh has a sealed floor with no pipes showing underneath when not hooked up. Also, appears your floor cap is now permanently open with your new setup. Do you have any problems with mud, water, etc splashing into the compartment when going down the road? Or critters getting in through the opening while in storage? Thank you so much for your response
Old 11-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogdt47 View Post
I guess I am not understanding your comment about the huge useless pipes below the unit. My mh has a sealed floor with no pipes showing underneath when not hooked up. Also, appears your floor cap is now permanently open with your new setup. Do you have any problems with mud, water, etc splashing into the compartment when going down the road? Or critters getting in through the opening while in storage? Thank you so much for your response
Then you may be one of the lucky ones that didn't get the big hose storage pipes. The floor cap is gone. I took half inch foam pipe wrap, opened it and put it around the wood of the floor. That sealed up 95% of the opening. Then I took a can of Great Foam and sealed it all up, pipe wrap and all. Nothing is getting in. It's not the prettiest looking thing in the world but its closed up in the bay. I'll try to post a few pictures later today.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is the black pipe that I had hanging from the bottom of my bays

This is what the pipes looked like after sealing them up. Not pretty at all but it's sealed very well. I call it the scrambled eggs look.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #6

I have a 2013 Coachmen Mirada 35DL. Basically same coach as yours. I tried a bunch of different sewer hoses and found that the best way to deal with the storage tubes AND deal with the bend was to use these hoses:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...FVUlgQodTHkLxA

I bought them after talking to another customer at Camping World that said his lasted 8 years with no issues. The cool thing is you can push them in the tube and put the cap on them and they will stay compressed. There are also all kinds of Y adaptors, clear sections, etc. that work nice on this 3 tank coach. YMMV.
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Sewer hose

I have a Mirada 35ls
I used rhino flex hose and a 45 to attach to the drain
When I open the pipe I simply screw on a rhino bayonet connector and attach my normal hoses.
magixkewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by magixkewl View Post
I have a Mirada 35ls

I used rhino flex hose and a 45 to attach to the drain

When I open the pipe I simply screw on a rhino bayonet connector and attach my normal hoses.

I have those, but I didn't like having to reattach the end every time I needed to dump. Getting the parts to reattach isn't easy as they have reverse threads and those hoses get nasty. :-)
_nelsonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, advice, coachmen, mirada