Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2022, 07:18 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New to us Leprechaun

Hello out there. We recently purchased a 2020 Leprechaun 270QB. It's on a Ford E350 chassis with the Triton V10 motor. Very clean rig and maintained.

Have been spending time on the ORV and toyhauler forums for the past 8 years. Sold those and now we are doing the class C thing.

Looking for suggestions upgrading items, and wondering what to look for as far as maintenance. Have any of you that own one or the Freelander had any things come up that were more than simple repairs?

Thanks and hope to hear from you.

Egwilly
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2022, 11:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Hello out there. We recently purchased a 2020 Leprechaun 270QB. It's on a Ford E350 chassis with the Triton V10 motor. Very clean rig and maintained.

Have been spending time on the ORV and toyhauler forums for the past 8 years. Sold those and now we are doing the class C thing.

Looking for suggestions upgrading items, and wondering what to look for as far as maintenance. Have any of you that own one or the Freelander had any things come up that were more than simple repairs?

Egwilly
Welcome to the Leprechaun Family. We have a 2017 311FS and love it. We went from a Class A to a Class C and actually enjoy it more. I upgraded the suspension with new sway bars and steering stabilizer, it came with air suspension in the rear but had to replace them due to leaks, installed a satellite dish on the roof, also replaced the idler pulley and the bels tensioner and belt due to an annoying squeal around 60 MPH and now all gone. Our maintenance is little more than most cause we have a washer/dryer combo and a residential fridge, but if you just keep up on the normal maintenance you should be good.

Next spring I plan to get underneath and and take care of the rust that came with it then paint it.

Again welcome to the family and to here...
Old 12-05-2022, 08:45 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks John58.....can you tell me a little more about the suspension mods you made to the front and rear? Which air bags did you go with?

Also wondering if you tow with your rig. I will be towing a Jeep Wrangler soon. Our Leprechaun does not have the bags.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks John58.....can you tell me a little more about the suspension mods you made to the front and rear? Which air bags did you go with?

Also wondering if you tow with your rig. I will be towing a Jeep Wrangler soon. Our Leprechaun does not have the bags.
I had installed new Hellwig front and rear sway bars got rid of the Ford stock ones and it handles much better and then installed a Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer and now goes straight as an arrow when the big rigs fly by.

I had them also install the Firestone Ride-Rite Air suspension from etrailer, they installed the air pump and put the gauges in up the driver seat so now I can the air pressure and if necessary I can adjust the air pressure easier without having to drag the air pump out when I stop.

I also have a Tire pressure system to monitor the tire pressure and temperature. I went with the TST 507 flow through so I wouldn't have to remove them to air up the tires if needed.

I did a 5 Star Tune also and the engine runs a lot smoother and a little more power when towing with my 17 Equinox attached. The shift points seem a little more pronounced. We are considering buying a Jeep Wrangler to tow, it seems everyone I talk with says they are easier to tow than our Equinox. I get tired of having to switch off or pull fuses.

We did have an electrical issue but went to the company rally this summer and they fixed it at no cost. The people there are great and friendly. You should check out their web site and email them about the rally next summer. They will also fix any issue you may have at the factory, of course for a price, but they do have a place on site where you can park and stay in your RV. Don't know the time frame or service prices but just ask.

Hope this all helps, have fun and enjoy your Leprechaun...
Old 12-06-2022, 07:30 PM   #5

We have a 2020 Leprechaun 319MB built on a Ford E450 chassis. It came with the Firestone Ride-Rite air bags installed. We added the Helwig anti-sway bars front and rear to help with body roll. The rig always tended to oversteer a bit but when we started towing a Jeep Gladiator it got more pronounced. It was especially bad on curvy roads and interstate highway construction zones with lane shifts and uneven surfaces. I was constantly having to make steering corrections. Just installed a Super-Steer trac bar on the rear axle to reduce the "tail wagging" and so far it's been the best suspension upgrade we've made.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:39 PM   #6

Coachman 270QB

Quote:

Egwilly
We have the same unit, 270QB Ford E350. I have installed a Lithium battery and charger/inverter with thoughts of boondocking more.
I am presently looking for something to upgrade the Livingroom jackknife sofa. Have not found anything at this date.

I am interested in this thread with the sway bars. I have been thinking along these lines, but didn't know if the cost was worth the gain. It seems that it is.

We love this model, we had a used Class C with the conner bed. It was used wanted to find out if we liked the Class C. We did but not the bed, so we bought a new 270QB just for the floor plan.
Weldergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 07:36 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the response. I have upgraded the television to a 32" Roku unit. Next project is installing a Hott Rod for the water heater since ours was built with only gas for heating the water. Problem with this is the access to the water heater is under the furnace behind some slatted panel in the kitchen. Tight quarters. Don't want to pull the water heater out to accomplish this task.

We actually like the folding sofa for the grand kids. Most other units are too big to fit the space in the 270QB. The large bedroom in the rear was a huge selling point for us after having trailers that you couldn't walk around.

Regarding the handling and suspension mods, I am still thinking thru this since I want to flat tow the Jeep on some trips. All the towing installation and suspension mods are very expensive. The rig handles OK, but could be a lot better. Ford used 1 inch bars for sway control and a weak steering assist.

I'm considering the air bag route, since ours is a tail dragger on some driveways and slopes. It will bottom on the brackets that were welded to the hitch assembly. They do the job, but concerning.