Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2022, 02:36 PM   #1

Newbie - how to open windows next to corner bed

I have a new-to-me 2018 Sunseeker 2290S with a corner bed.

The window facing the rear, at the head of the bed, cannot be opened.

The window facing the passenger side (next to the bed) has two halves: On the left is a window with two red handles at the bottom right and left. I assume this is the emergency escape? I can open them and push the bottom out, but I'm afraid to push out too much in case the window falls out completely. Is that what will happen?

On the right half is a window with a screen. For the life of me I cannot pull the window to the left (in the track) to open it and enjoy the breeze with the screen in place. Is there a secret lock somewhere? I tried pulling on everything, it won't budge.

Thanks!
AM
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2022, 02:45 PM   #2

If there is a screen, the window should open. Maybe post a picture of the window and someone may be able to help? As far as the emergency exit window, mine is hinged at the top, so I expect yours is as well.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:27 PM   #3

The sliding window may just be stuck. Takes surprisingly little dirt/grime in the slide channel to glue them in place.

I 2nd the request for pictures, it really helps.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:39 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep dust and what not in the window tracks easily keeps them from sliding. Also sometimes I use a liberal amount of silicone spray in the tracks. Then try opening it after soaking in a few minutes. Use a window cleaner to clean any mess on the glass.

As for emergency escape windows some do drop out when opened, makes egress easier. Other are hinged at the top and will swing open. I have no idea what you have there. If in doubt have someone on the outside that can catch the window if needed. It is important to keep those emergency egress windows operating properly. You may have only seconds to escape a burning RV. Never mind the fall, better than becoming a crispy critter.

Next to our escape windows I have a 3/4" dowel rod stored in spring clips that can be used to hold the window up after opening it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc123 View Post
I have a new-to-me 2018 Sunseeker 2290S with a corner bed.
On the left is a window with two red handles at the bottom right and left. I assume this is the emergency escape? I can open them and push the bottom out, but I'm afraid to push out too much in case the window falls out completely. Is that what will happen?
Thanks!
AM
That's exactly what happen with my escape window , although I was trying to get it fully up right to the coach wall in order to get a washing machine through the opening . Thankfully a friend was in place to help with the washer and caught it before it got to the ground .
Other brands of windows may be different but on mine , it would either be banging you on the head as you exited or laying shattered on the ground.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:28 PM   #6

Okay, thanks for all the tips!

The RV is in an outdoor storage place about 20 minutes from my home, so the next time I get out there I'll take pix. Also I'll get a ladder and look closely at the emergency window to see if there are hinges.

I find it exasperating not to have these kinds of things noted in the Sunseeker manual anywhere, nor in any of their vids. I guess they think it's too obvious.

AM

Tags
newbie, wind, window