Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #1

Powder post beetles infestations in RV⅚

I have a Forest River camper we bought in the fall of 2020. it is still under warranty. We saw a pile of what looked like sawdust when we picked up the camper. We thought it was sawdust from manufacturing. But it kept reappearing. This is when we started to investigate. We now believe it is powder post beetle.

I collected some dead beetles off the floor directly below the holes we found in the paneling. With the help of my jeweler's loop, I was able to identify the beetles. We also contacted pest control to varify the powder post beetles. We learned the only an entomologist can make the determinations. We have now contacted Clemson University entomology department.
At this point, we are speaking to the Forest Rivers Warranty department. Sent pictures of the holes in the luan and of the beetles.
I am very nervous. I have one lung and not sure if I can sleep in a camper that has been fumigated. My health is on the line here. I have a few more years left and I want all of them.
What do you think would be a fare settlement?
Sjgraves10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #2

There are several such threads,, use the google search feature at the top of this page to locate them. That google search is confined to irv2.com unless you manually select otherwise.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #3
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjgraves10 View Post
I am new to this web site and having a difficult time using it.. I need others to know that powder post beetles are infesting some of the new campers. Check for them immediately. You
Ight see a small pile of white powder and tiny pinholes.

My camper is 10 months old. We found the beetles and pray the dealership honors the warranty. Please let me know about powder post beetle posts
What year, make, and model camper do you have? This seemed to be an issue around 2018 plus or minus for several manufacturers. Apparently "Luan" is really "Philippine Mahogany" and the wood provider is supposed to treat the wood before selling it. Since it hit many manufacturers i' guessing they all used the same wood supplier.

Ray
Old 07-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
NXR

Powder post beetles infestations in RV⅚

Quote:
I am not sure if this the correct place to reply.
I have a 2020 Flagstaff microlite. 25ft. We saw they small pile of powder when we bought the camper last fall. We did not know what it was. But when it returned again I knew something was wrong. We bought the camper 10 months ago, so it is still under warranty. Old post suggests that claims were denied. Only once did I read that the dealer honored the claim.

I'd be going straight to Forest River as well as the dealer. Pictures help a lot.

I'd also put your post with a pic or two over here: https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f33/

You can use the same username and password there as here because both sites are owned by the same company.

Ray