Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #1

Question about putting hardware on doors

"hardware" on doors not hardward. lol

Going to put standard household towel hangers on the bathroom doors. This coach has the flat hollow doors.

Any suggestions regarding the best approach to secure them so the screws don't pull out from the weight of a couple of wet bath towels?

Putting them on a wall is not an option though I'm not entirely sure the wall is any stronger than the doors.

Some kind of expanding anchor inside the door was my first thought but maybe there is a better way.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #2

Towel rack suggestions

Would an over the door towel rack work? This is what i have in my home.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #3

Over the years I have used a variety of hollow wall anchors. But before I get into my favorites, let me ask, is the wood that makes up the door thick enough to keep the holder from punching in at the bottom of the hanger? All of the weight will pull the top of the hanger out, and try and push the bottom of the hanger in. Maybe you could consider a backing plate to spread out the load a little if you are worried about thin door wood.

First picture is of my favorite anchor system. Down side is it will leave a hole about the size of a pencil or maybe your little finger, if you use the large ones, if you remove the hangers in the future.

Second picture is probably my least favorite. I've seen them slowly pull out when the wall gets hot.

Third is OK, but again the hole needs to be large enough to pass the wings. And if you unscrew the screw too far the wings will fall down in the wall cavity.

Forth picture is a good one except for when it comes time to remove it. I usually drill the top off of it and knock the rest of it inside the cavity.

Interesting to note, anything that falls down inside the door cavity will rattle a but as you drive down the road.

Hope this helps in some small way.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I Will second the above concern about the strength of the wood.

Command adhesive mounts?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #5

In my Pathfinder, I found a fancy black wrough-iron looking towel hanger that holds two towels, hooks over the top of the door and fastens with one screw. It hasn't moved in over 5000 miles of travel.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #6

I was headed toward the white plastic type in the second of the pictures above. Each attachment plate needs two screws, a top and bottom. These plates are an inch and a half round and are used to mount the pedestals that hold the towel rods. The rod holder then slides down on top of the plate. Simple arrangement. I planned to use the expanding plastic anchors to hold the plate to the wall.

I have a chrome, over the door, towel rack now with three rods that are staggered so that the towels don't hang on each other. They are close and so they dry more slowly than if hung separately. It works but it really looks tacky I think. Your over the door outfit may (probably does) look more professional.

I see a number of the mid price range diesels have a nice wooden towel rack where two upright wood runners are attached to the door vertically and then three coated wire rods are inserted between the wood runners. They look okay and seem to be well made as far as i can tell. Haven't been able to find them for sale anywhere.

A backing plate is a good idea even if it also has to be attached to the door with the same fasteners/issues. I do see though, that once a backing plate is attached, when both the backing plate and door is drilled and fitted with an anchor, the total should be stronger than just using the door skin alone, (or so I would hope).

Thanks,
Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
KIX

Roll, You could Google RV salvage yards. I would bet that one of them has the "nice wooden towel rack where there are two upright wood runners attached to the door vertically and then three wire rods are inserted" they would sell you. Why screw with success.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote