Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 07:15 PM   #1

Roof Problem Anyone???

I just got back from Texas with a less than year old trailer. I even had a roof repair (roofing sliding back from under front cap) in February. I get home and walked away and looked back at the trailer and saw this. No, there were no branches, low bridges,etc. This happened within the last 45 minutes of my trip on the freeway. The trailer is now at a dealer and they say the trailer is going back to the factory for repairs to the roof AND floor! They "found" FIVE really spongy places in the floor....... Sorry for the sideways picture. That's the way the forum software put it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof of Trailer.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	204110  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
I just got back from Texas with a less than year old trailer. I even had a roof repair (roofing sliding back from under front cap) in February. I get home and walked away and looked back at the trailer and saw this. No, there were no branches, low bridges,etc. This happened within the last 45 minutes of my trip on the freeway. The trailer is now at a dealer and they say the trailer is going back to the factory for repairs to the roof AND floor! They "found" FIVE really spongy places in the floor....... Sorry for the sideways picture. That's the way the forum software put it.
I would have cried[emoji24]
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:38 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
at least they are taking care of it instead of trying to get out of it.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
at least they are taking care of it instead of trying to get out of it.
Maybe. Nothing has been to fix anything at this time since the dealership is waiting for Forest River to make a decision. Since this is a holiday weekend the earliest decision will be next Tuesday.........
Old 06-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #5

Well, its been a week. Nothing communicated to me, so I called the dealer where my trailer is. They said it was in the hands of the Warranty Manager for the dealership. I called him THREE times leaving messages and requesting a call back. Guess what? No call back. All I wanted to know is if there was any progress. I'm quite frustrated..... I wonder if I am going to get to use it at alll this summer.......
Old 06-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #6

I found out today that the Warranty Manager "bitched at" the Service Manager (his words, not mine) for telling me to contact the Warranty Manager BECAUSE the Warranty Manager doesn't want to deal with customers! Isn't that his job??? Anyhow, as of this morning we are waiting for FR to authorize repairs and arrange transport of my trailer to the factory.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #7

Today the dealer informed me that the repairs are authorized. Now they are securing the roof somehow so the trailer can go down the road. It is supposed to leave this week and the dealer thinks the repairs will take 'the better part of a month' to complete and get me my trailer back.........
Old 06-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #8

That needs a new roof. The work could easily been done in a few days. I recovered my 34ft in about three days on my own using liquid EDPM
Bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #9

Oh boy...

FR literally throws those trailers together, the employees physically RUN around the units they put them together so fast.

I worked in automation for automotive factory support, in the actual factories where the cars were being built.

The first time I watched an RV assembly line video I was terrified. People take factory tours, walking right past the slap-it-together work crews, and think it's how things are supposed to be done.

By the time the units hit the dealer, they are alteady shaken to bits from transport, then the leaks and issues start.... Right on the dealer lot.

The lighter weight, and less expensive they are, the more problems the end user (you) will have.

IMHO, the RV industry needs a serious wakeup call.
Houdoxi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW. Haven't seen something like this before and I have been in RVing a long time.
Have you posted this on the other RV Forest River site?
http://www.forestriverforums.com
If not I will for you.

I'm glad to hear that Forest River it taking it back to fix it properly.
I always thought that TPO was glued down but it looks like it wasn't.
Got some air under it from the failed front cap seal and that's all it took.

Sorry to hear about it. Now you are without for a few months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	205966  
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:10 AM   #11

I forgot to update this thread........ I was told it would be about four weeks to get it back, but July 4th caused another week to be added. Anyhow, it is back and still doing good. I don't know how the floor was fixed, but we got new flooring (vynal or whatever they use) and new carpeting in it plus they went through and fixed some cosmetic issues and put a shelf back in that collapsed.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #12

Good deal!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #13

So sorry

I am sorry that you had to go through this ordeal. It would have really upset me. So glad all is well now. Enjoy your travels.
Patty1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
DW and I have been reviewing all the manufacturers out there for a FT unit and Riverstone Legacy 34SLE is one of a few on the list. This however makes one wonder if the quality of their supposed "top of the line" coach has the same Forest River QA nightmares as I've read about others experiencing. Did FR ever tell you exactly what was wrong with the floor, root cause of what caused floor needing to be replaced and how you could prevent that from occurring in the future?

RV manufacturers do need a serious wake up call and better regulation, just like auto manufacturers. Too bad that the Six Sigma program inst used in this manufacturing process. I'd pay a little more knowing that I'm not getting a POS right out the door, even though they all have some POS going on.
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof