Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Cool Satellite cable line not working

I have dish network and have to run coax through window to satellite receiver to get reception. Have I done something wrong? The installer of dish couldn't get it to work either. Where should I start looking?
Thanks
2007 Coachman Concord 23'
ladyrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrvr66 View Post
I have dish network and have to run coax through window to satellite receiver to get reception. Have I done something wrong? The installer of dish couldn't get it to work either. Where should I start looking?
Thanks
2007 Coachman Concord 23'
What were you trying to connect to first? Does your rig have a satellite dish or dome on top? Is there and entertainment center switch? Sorry to blast all the questions but it will help us all find a solution
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recently got Dish, and from the outside actual dish I connected to the "cable in" hookup in the rear of MH> Just be sure to use the "cable" coax as "in" at the receiver. Also switch your TV set to "cable" not antenna. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I can get cable by plugging coax in outside connection on coach. Inside coach you can plug your coax into either sat or cable. I tried the sat and didn't work. I also have an outside compartment with speakers and a place to put a tv with a coax cable to plug into tv. I couldn't get it work either. I do not have a sat dome, I carry my on dish.
Thanks
2007 Coachmen Concord
Co-Pilot - Bubbles (toy poodle)
ladyrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now some rigs have TWO outside cable connections, one labled CABLE and the other SAT.. Most do not.. If yours does not then the cable is a park cable inlet, NOT a satellite TV inlet

It is very likely RG-59, which is the wong cable (too much loss, 25 feet of 59 is at best worse than 100 feet of RG-6 loss wise, at worst, the difference is way greater)

Winegard does have instructions for re-tasking it but I recommend you not do that.

I recommend you run a new RG-6 line,, more or less as you have done.. You can put in a bulkhead (Through wall) or run it to a basement and put in a grounding block.. IN fact run two, You never know when you will need the 2nd. Just cap the 2nd.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Hi,

We purchased a 2011 Coachmen, Northridge Fifth Wheel. This spring, while in South Carolina, we had the Dish technician come out to our rig for the same problem you are having. We could hook up to cable, or use our over the air antenna, but could not hook up our Dish. I don't remember his exact explanation, but for some reason the way the trailer is wired, a phasing slplitter had to be installed on both ends of the line.
The way it is now, it bypasses our over the air antenna. To use it, I am going to have to install an A - B switch to the input coax going into the back of the TV.

To me, all this seems strange. Our last trailer, which was six years old, was wired for both Cable and Sattelite. Why the new trailer is wired for only cable and over the air antenna, only Coachmen knows.

When the tech was done installing the sattelite system and told me we no longer had use of our over the air antenna, I said to him, "would it not have been easier to drill a hole through the side of the trailer. Put in a new coax wall connector and hook the SAT cable to it and the A-B switch." Short answer, "yes it would have been. Why didn't you think of that earlier." Sorry guy, that's your job and why we pay for the service call!

Ratracer
Ratracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #7

I had a 2009 concord what I did was run a rg6 cable behind the bose radio
and down the corner and came out on top of the propane tank and left about
20' of cable so I could use the tripod dish and put the reciever above the bose
radio
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #8

My TT(2006 Coachmen) only came with cable connection (RG59) and over the air antenna. I installed two coax wall connectiors (living and bedroom) using RG6 for the Sat feeds (my Dir TV dish has to leads). I used an A/B switch in the living room so I can either use cable, sat, or over the air. on my digitial tV. The bedromm is strictly sat. I use two seperate sat recievers so I can watch different sat channels at the same time.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
What bugs me is why are the 2011 trailers not wired with Satelite ready acces. I previously had a 2004 Open Road and it was prewired for all three, over the air, cable, and sat.

As with StSgt1, I now have t my trailer wired for Sat and Cable and as soon as I get it back from having multiple warranty repairs, I will add the A-B switch and get my over the air antenna back on line.

Ratracer
Ratracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Put an ohm meter on the end inside the coach by placing positive lead to center conductor and neg to the side of the connector. It should read open, no reaction, if so go to the input end of the cable and short the center conductor to the connector and then check the ohm reading inside again. If it is still open then you are using the wrong cable inside or the cable is severed somewhere. If it checks short then you have the proper cable and something else is blocking your signal or more likely blocking the voltage sent from the receiver to the LNB on the dish.

Good luck.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote