Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2023, 11:18 AM   #1

Silverback 29RE TV weight/ Rear Rack weight / First Trailer

Hello everybody. I have been on the search for a trailer I'm going to full time in for several months now and have gone back and forth a bunch which ones. I think I'm finally settled on 2014/2015 Silverback 29RE to purchase and already have a couple of candidates I'm trying to get a deal done on. However, there are a couple of questions I'm trying to figure out that I'm hoping to have some clarity on.

First, I have a variety of items I want to bring with me but I'm trying to figure out what is reasonable and unreasonable to be able to put on a hitch on the back without causing issues. What is the most amount of weight you'd feel comfortable putting on a rack on the rear hitch? Is there a rated amount? If I take it to a welder is there reasonable things I could do to increase it? I would like to, at the very least put my 200 lbs smoker there, and I also have a 130lbs generator that would be nice (can most likely stay in truck if needed). I think I've figured out that my 400 lbs quad or motorcycle is just not going to work, but maybe theres enough reinforcement possible? So I might just ditch those and buy an ebike or something at 120 lbs (or most likely under 60).

I understand that will cause balance changes, however, I'm also putting a big solar array with a lot of batteries and the batteries should be about the same distance in front of the axle as the load in the back is behind the axle to help redistribute.

Next question is TV mounting. I'm living in this trailer for an undetermined amount of time, might be several years. I'm a movie guy and enjoy having a space and rv tvs don't cut it for me. I'm trying to figure out what the weight ratings were for mounting tvs on those units? I cannot seem to get in touch with anybody at Forest River to get the information.

(I think) I'll be taking the cabinets off on the upper part of the wall and am willing to do whatever modifications I need to to help fortify the installation, but the idea would be something that I can attach to the wall but change the height to still use the stand so weight can be offloaded onto the platform below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	29RE Rear.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	392420

Picture attached to help visualize. Also just for people who might ask, payload is 3800 on this unit and its just me and my dog... Have been very careful about weight calculations and I cannot make the weight go above 3000 and like I said I have been doing leverage calculators with the positioning of things and am pretty confident that the balance will be minimally affected and its actually helpful because solar will all favor weight towards the pin.

Oh, third topic actually. Where is the best place to go to try to get a professional to do an inspection for me? I want to make sure I don't miss anything before buying something.

Thank you!
Enigma86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2023, 09:01 AM   #2

20 inch receiver racks seem to be rated at 500#. If your hitch is rated for this you are good. Your pin weight will be more than you expect, so this rear weight is negligible. If you need to replace the TV wall mount screw a piece of plywood to wall for the new mount.

Tags
rear, trailer, weight