Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2021, 12:11 PM   #1

Slide is in and 'stuck'

2001 Coachman Leprechaun 314SS-F
Ford E450 chassis with a 6.8L V10

The driver's side slide behind the driver has the forward end of the slide moving out until its binds and the motor stops by the controller. The backend of the slide does not move. I have access to the motor controller and the motor, both are accessed from under the dining table. I can retract the skewed forward portion of the slide to end up with the slide at the correct lined up stowed position. The motor works fine.

I can access the gears from under the slide if I can get the slide out. No access to under the slide from the storage bays.

Is there 'a way' to extend the slides that I am missing?
I have no detailed description or diagrams to know more than what I stated here.
Are there two motors?
Are there two tracks, one towards each end that pull the slide in and out or is it one with something stuck under the slide?
How can I extend the slide so I can pull off the glorified plastic corrugated stuff that covers the bottom of the slide?
From what I see with my ignorant view, I would have to pull up the floor after removing the attached couch and dining mod.

Any docs would be helpful.
RScottB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2021, 01:37 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Without knowing the manufacturer of your slide mechanism, it's really hard to say.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RScottB View Post
2001 Coachman Leprechaun 314SS-F
Ford E450 chassis with a 6.8L V10

The driver's side slide behind the driver has the forward end of the slide moving out until its binds and the motor stops by the controller. The backend of the slide does not move. I have access to the motor controller and the motor, both are accessed from under the dining table. I can retract the skewed forward portion of the slide to end up with the slide at the correct lined up stowed position. The motor works fine.

I can access the gears from under the slide if I can get the slide out. No access to under the slide from the storage bays.

Is there 'a way' to extend the slides that I am missing?
I have no detailed description or diagrams to know more than what I stated here.
Are there two motors?
Are there two tracks, one towards each end that pull the slide in and out or is it one with something stuck under the slide?
How can I extend the slide so I can pull off the glorified plastic corrugated stuff that covers the bottom of the slide?
From what I see with my ignorant view, I would have to pull up the floor after removing the attached couch and dining mod.

Any docs would be helpful.
You say it is “stuck”. Does it move at all? Does it have one motor or two? It sounds like it is electric and it sounds similar to the setup I had on my 2000 HR Endeavor. One motor in the middle that had 2 shafts attached to it. I fought it 2 years. The rear would go out before the front. Same coming in. If I pushed or pulled the slide would come in straight. Thought it was just getting worn or out of adjustment. One day while I had it in my sons shop, he was looking at it and aske “why is there a bolt in one shaft and not the other?” Close inspection showed the front shaft had a hole where a bolt was supposed to go. A little research and the internet revealed that a grade 5 bolt was used as a shear pin. Replaced with a 1/4 grade 5 bolt and all was good.

But as has been said. It would help to know what brand of slide mechanism it has, and a little more information. Pretty much any slide has a process to get open upon a failure. Check your owners manual for instructions.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 05:02 AM   #4

Electric slide with some sort of geared drive.

Its electric. I cannot find any other potential location inside the slide.

As above, I can open the slide, the front move end until the controller senses the current draw and stops. I can close the skewed slide and it returns to its trued close stowage position.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:05 AM   #5

So much for a sig with the make and model of my rig. This forum software is lacking.

The pix is from the top looking down. This is inside the slide. The white doohickey mounted on the wall is on the dining table hangers. The wood box frame you see on the left is the rear dining area seat frame. The wall at the top of the pix as we look down is the inside of the exterior slide wall.

2001 Coachmen Leprechaun 31SS-F
Form E450 chassis with a 6.8l V10 that sucks gas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211214_154034093.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	351579  
Old 12-16-2021, 05:14 AM   #6

In the pix, the vertically mounted black box with the colored wires is the slide controller.
It has labeled connectors with motor 1 and motor 2. My testing indicates motor 1 is one direction of the motor and motor 2 is the other direction.

The controlled stops by sensing current draw, as the slide reaches in or out, the motor starts to slow and one can hear it reaching its limit, draws more current and the controller stops it and flips the direction the other direction/motor connector.

I cannot hear any other motor, this motor is 2/3 of the length of the slide towards the rear, the end that will not move.

I can push on the top of the slide and its moves some, more of a tilt. Trying to push on the bottom rear with the motor pushing out or even off does not move the rear of the slide.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:32 AM   #7

reply to the reply, so probably more replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
You say it is “stuck”. Does it move at all? Does it have one motor or two? It sounds like it is electric and it sounds similar to the setup I had on my 2000 HR Endeavor. One motor in the middle that had 2 shafts attached to it. I fought it 2 years. The rear would go out before the front. Same coming in. If I pushed or pulled the slide would come in straight. Thought it was just getting worn or out of adjustment. One day while I had it in my sons shop, he was looking at it and aske “why is there a bolt in one shaft and not the other?” Close inspection showed the front shaft had a hole where a bolt was supposed to go. A little research and the internet revealed that a grade 5 bolt was used as a shear pin. Replaced with a 1/4 grade 5 bolt and all was good.

But as has been said. It would help to know what brand of slide mechanism it has, and a little more information. Pretty much any slide has a process to get open upon a failure. Check your owners manual for instructions.
Thaks for the reply, BTW. No clue as to the slide mechanism manufacturer. Several OEMs have been bought out a Libbert since 2001, checking out the Lippert site brings me no joy with confussedd choices. I have located the slide/motor controller manufacturer only.

The only manual I have been able to locate is the chassis manual. So, no help there.

Googling this forum and generally Googling hoping Google is my friend leads me to believe this setup is same as yours. How do I access this potential shaft to check while stuck in the closed position? IF I had been more fortunate getting 'stuck' while not stowed, I could access all the this from the bottom exterior of the slide by removing the corrugated plastic covering. I have lubed the mechanism like a good boy, but I do not remember if the is one or two tacks on the bottom. My iffy TBI mind believes there are two tracks, but then I see the power cables in the pix, so I r confussedd. Did I say Google enough in this paragraph?
Old 12-16-2021, 05:45 AM   #8

in the pix, so more replies

The horizontally mounted electric junction box is just an electric junction box, connecting wires from the left to the wire from the right. No handy dandy access to see what is below.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:05 AM   #9

manual override does the same

The manual override moves the front end only of the slide, just as the electric motor.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:51 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Can you nudge the front out an inch, or so and then manually push on the rear of the slideout to push it out a bit?

I know, mine's a different coach, but my big slideout has two gear mechanisms, one toward the front and one toward the rear. The one motor drives both gear mechanisms thru a square tube with shear pin connection to both the front and the rear of the drive shaft. If either shear pin shears, the slideout comes out cockeyed. Still, by running the good side out an inch, then manually pushiing on the stuck side (yuo may have topush hard) and alternating that process, you may be able to get the slideout out far enough to see what's going on.

Good luck.

Take care,
Stu
Old 12-16-2021, 07:16 AM   #11

Here is a list of Lippert manuals

https://support.lci1.com/power-gear-...ide-out-system
Old 12-16-2021, 07:36 AM   #12

Tracks

There will be two tracks for every slide. I would extend the working side enough to determine where it is located. Measure the distance from the track to the side edge of the slide. This will tell you where the other track is located. Then see if you can access it from underneath the rig or what have you.
Did you check to see if something may have gotten wedged underneath the slide?
You may want to try push on the part of the slide that won’t open while someone is activating the motor.
Jincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #13

Another thought

Some of the small to medium slides use a cable to extend and retract. If yours does, check to see the cable on the other side isn’t broken or bound.
Jincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You should have a black control box somewhere. Sounds like you found one. Anyway this box controls the slide motors. It can be reset. Find the reset hole and there should be a very small white button. Using a very small screw driver, push and hold this white button like six times till the lights flash. You then have like 15 seconds to get to the slide buttons and work the slide motors. Take the slide all the way in. Hold the button a few seconds. Slide should work again & be back in sync. Know this slide control box can fail. Hope yours is OK just out of sync and a reset is all it needs.
I had to do this myself. I have also helped 2 other RV'ers in the parks do the same thing. In one RV, after searching every compartment I found it in the last one we looked in.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide