RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #1

Suburban furnace kaput

I have a Salem fsx 181rt toy hauler. Everything has been working great since I brought it out here to SD. Itís been a little nippy at night so I use a little space heater & my furnace set to low. I have a suburban NT-20 SEQ. It doesnít have a real thermostat, just a slider bar. The other day I turned it on in the morning to take the chill off. I noticed I had to push the slider farther over to get it to start, & it wasnít heating as good as it normally does, but it was putting some heat out. This morning it wouldnít start at all. I checked the hot water heater & stove and they worked fine. The propane is full as it ran out the other night & I had to go out and replace the tank with a full one. Fuses all looked good and everything else works fine. Any suggestions. Thanks!

CorkyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2020, 09:21 PM   #2

The manufacturers web site will have manuals; for your furnace model as pdf's for a free download , complete with troubleshooting guide .

and this site .

Troubleshooting RV Furnace Problems

Old 04-26-2020, 09:46 PM   #3

Inspect it. Fire box could be burned out, could be a blockage. Heck almost anything could be causing your problem.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #4

As suggested, download the service manual and follow the troubleshooting guide, but I'm guessing that something is restricting air flow, so the sail switch is shutting down ignition. The most common reason is wasps building a nest in the air intake.
Camco makes round screens that can be added to the outside of the intake and exhaust openings to prevent that.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:46 PM   #5

Not sure having to slide the thermostat farther would have a correlation to the furnace not making the 'normal amount' of heat. Low air flow and a sail switch not operating make sense. If the sail switch dose not see air flow the furnace will not fire up. Do you hear the blower start.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
Not sure having to slide the thermostat farther would have a correlation to the furnace not making the 'normal amount' of heat. Low air flow and a sail switch not operating make sense. If the sail switch dose not see air flow the furnace will not fire up. Do you hear the blower start.

CLIFFORD

No, nothing.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:59 PM   #7

Now it's the time to dig using a volt meter and the furnace wiring diagram. Lot of things can cause a dead furnace. If you had a no fuel supply you'd at least hear it start and timeout.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyF View Post
I have a Salem fsx 181rt toy hauler. Everything has been working great since I brought it out here to SD. Itís been a little nippy at night so I use a little space heater & my furnace set to low. I have a suburban NT-20 SEQ. It doesnít have a real thermostat, just a slider bar. The other day I turned it on in the morning to take the chill off. I noticed I had to push the slider farther over to get it to start, & it wasnít heating as good as it normally does, but it was putting some heat out. This morning it wouldnít start at all. I checked the hot water heater & stove and they worked fine. The propane is full as it ran out the other night & I had to go out and replace the tank with a full one. Fuses all looked good and everything else works fine. Any suggestions. Thanks!
Now this is weird. Furnace hasn’t worked for a week. I’ve gone through the fuses, twice, nothing. Did everything I’m capable of doing.....nothing. Furnace makes no noise, just the click of the the thermostat when I slide the switch, nothing. Been using a small space to get by till I get it fixed. This morning , first thing I do is turn on the water heater. I hear it starting up, then I hear a loud click, or snap, from that area. That’s something new. Maybe it’s the furnace deciding to go back to work.. I slide the switch on and voila....the furnace is working, at least for now. I’m curious as to what’s that all about.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #9

Update: Furnace has been working fine all week. One night I arrived home, first thing turned on the furnace......nothing. In frustration I smacked the thermostat & guess what.....it started working. Apparently itís in the thermostat. Works fine now but I ordered a new one to be on the safe side Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	285664. Wish me luck
Old 05-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #10

If you ran the system out of propane it could have taken a number of cycles for the furnace to run again. Download the manuals. They give detailed instructions on troubleshooting as well as maintenance. There really isn't much to these furnaces. Pretty easy to repair as well as maintain.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #11

One thing to be aware of with replacing an RV thermostat with a newer household one is sometimes RV manufacturers use different wiring colors than is standard in a house. I replaced one of those old slider thermostats with a programmable one and it's like the installer used random colors in the wiring bundle. Mine was a little more complex because it also controlled the airconditioner.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:12 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
As all have said, download the manuals. I rebuilt my furnace on our old rig last year. It really was a piece of cake once I got into it. I mean literally getting it out to work on was harder than trouble-shooting and fixing it. Best investment ever was a new digital thermostat after I got the furnace working.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
As all have said, download the manuals. I rebuilt my furnace on our old rig last year. It really was a piece of cake once I got into it. I mean literally getting it out to work on was harder than trouble-shooting and fixing it. Best investment ever was a new digital thermostat after I got the furnace working.
Fortunately, since I ďsmackedĒ the thermostat, itís been working fine. I too also replaced the old thermostat with a new digital one. Now it works even better. The new one was under $35 & took less than 15 minutes to swap. Heat only, as my AC doesnít run off a thermostat, & a simple 2 wire hook up.

Tags
ace, furnace, suburban