Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #1

Suburban Hot water heater

Hello my name is Craig and I have a camping problem.
I just de-winterized my camper this past weekend and started up all appliances in the Trailer. Then it happened. I filled the fresh water tank to flush out the water system and change the bypass on the 6 gallon water heater. Everything started nice as it should for a 2 year old trailer. Then i started to hear and an audible sound from inside (a constant tone) coming from the back of the water heater location while the tank was warming up off of propane. The sound was emitting from the circuit board strapped to the tank (more specifically the cylinder part with the spade connection on top). this tone would be chattered when the ignition was trying to light the flame) and then go on continuously. Before I tie up my camping season at the dealer I wanted to ask Has anyone experienced this and if so what was your resolve?
Thanks in advance.
Craig
D_C_Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #2

That cylinder thang is a high voltage transformer
It takes the 12V DC Voltage and increases it to 2000V DC for the spark electrode to have a strong hot spark to ignite the propane flame

Transformers hum and buzz sometimes...but the noise you are describing is NOT normal not should you have been able to hear it from outside or even inside the RV

Sounds like transformer is failing
New circuit board

Suburban 520814

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-5208.../dp/B003G9J4RC
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
That cylinder thang is a high voltage transformer
It takes the 12V DC Voltage and increases it to 2000V DC for the spark electrode to have a strong hot spark to ignite the propane flame

Transformers hum and buzz sometimes...but the noise you are describing is NOT normal not should you have been able to hear it from outside or even inside the RV

Sounds like transformer is failing
New circuit board

Suburban 520814

https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-5208.../dp/B003G9J4RC
Thank you. I ran the hot water heater up to temp and it did stop the noise. Thanks I will look into a replacement board.
D_C_Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_C_Randolph View Post
Thank you. I ran the hot water heater up to temp and it did stop the noise. Thanks I will look into a replacement board.

Noise stopped because DC was no longer present on circuit board.

When t-stat opened due to water reaching temp DC to circuit board stopped at the t-stat

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, suburban, water, water heater