RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #1

Thoughts on 2005-2010 Forest River Sunseeker Class C?

Hey there, I'm looking for my first RV, a used Class C. For my budget and wishlist, the Forest River Sunseeker 2860 DS looks good. (The other model I'm specifically looking at is a Winnebago Outlook 29B). I'm looking at 2005-2015 model years.

I've seen a couple of these older 2860's for sale. Before I talk to the sellers, anything in particular I should ask about (other than the usual -- tire age, delam, etc). Anything "peculiar" to the Forest River Class Cs?

thanks
AM

amc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #2

Not a common model? Or should I post elsewhere?

thx
am

Old 04-30-2020, 10:02 PM   #3

Thoughts on 2005-2010 Forest River Sunseeker Class C?

We just bought a 2012 2450 and would suggest a through inspection for possible water damage. We unfortunately concentrated on the roof/ ceiling and didnít pay enough attention to the floors. The seller had throw rugs in the toilet and bathroom sink area and we didnít notice the sponginess. The subfloor was severely damaged and has taken me several weeks to repair. I canít speak to the construction of earlier years but our vintage leaves alot to be desired. The floor is made up of aluminum joists, spaced way to widely, foam blocks covered with 1/2 inch OSB. They are very difficult to repair properly. I would also caution to check out any broken or missing parts. Our shower door has a damaged roller and FR says ďnot available and no replacementĒ - youíre on your own. We are fixing everything and are still looking forward to taking it out for an inaugural trip. Good Luck.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:02 AM   #4

We have a 2007 Sunseeker 2900LTD, but have experience with many other rigs as well. You mention that this is your first RV - may I ask how much you intend to use it (occasional trips vs. full-timing?) and what your experience level is for DIY vs. having to hire someone for repairs? I can give better feedback that way. It’s a challenging time to be on the road due to covid, but a great time to shop.
GypsySoul888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:06 AM   #5

The Outlook is winnabago's new entry level model and I was not impressed with it compared to our previous 2005 Itasca Spirit. You need to watch out for leaks in any class C, especially in the cabover bunk area. By the time you see water inside there of often substantial rot.
The other thing to watch out for in the C's is weight distribution. Many, especially those on the E350 chassis will be over the rear axle rating even before you load it up.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:33 PM   #6

Forest

Run Forest run.... Winnebago is a much better choice.
kenautoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #7

Really. Hrm. Don't bother looking at Forest Rivers or Coachmen either?

I did look very closely at a 2006 Winnebago Outlook but the inspector pointed out all the water damage at the front cabover window and in the back; soft floor between split shower/bath, delam between entry door and passenger door. The price was great and in view of that I could've probably negotiated even lower; but I do not want to deal with a rotting RV out of the gate.

Regarding how I'll use it, I'm very eager to try full timing or even part-timing with me and my two doggos. At the very least, multiple 2 to 4 week trips per year.

I did rent a LazyDaze last summer just to check to see if I'd still love it after driving one around for 2 weeks and staying in state parks, answer yes. :-) Learned though that I really want a slide up front.

AM
Old 05-18-2020, 06:21 AM   #8

Having owned two Winnebago motorhomes before our Coachmen Mirada. I do not think that Winnebago makes a better product. They both have different levels of fit and finish between models in their product lines.
I would not buy the bottom level of either brand because they get built on the smaller, lighter chassis and do not have the capacity to carry what we need. But I would not hesitate to buy another Mirada again.

Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, forest river, sunseeker