Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #1

Toilet Problems

I was hoping someone here could help.

I've got a 2014 XLR 415AMP. One, 100gal, black tank, 2 toilets. The rear toilet is working fine. The front toilet "burps" when you flush it. It also seems to build up pressure when the flush ball is closed. My toilet is a Thetford 42072.

I've checked all the roof vents and they're all open. Dropped a snake into the holding tanks from the top and no obstructions found.

Checked the plumbing visually and found nothing "weird". Only 2 elbows used in the install and both were, IIRC, 22 1/2. Waste pipe is clear.

I called my dealer. He says it's most likely a bad vent breaker on the toilet. I've got one on the way from Amazon. $25 won't bankrupt me if it's not the culprit.

Since my dealer has screwed up everything they have touched, I called Thetford. They say the vacuum breaker can't be the problem and that I should install a cheater vent in the lines to aid in venting. They tell me I probably have gas bubbles built up in my tank and they are escaping through the toilet. They stuck to this even when I told them the vent pipe is right beside the waste pipe and it's clear. They say the vacuum breaker actually has nothing to do with pressure/gas relief.

I've never heard of adding a cheater vent to a "waste" pipe. Sinks, yes, toilets, no...

Opinions? Suggestions? I'm running out of things to check.
10-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #2

Same problem

Hey guys new to this forum. I seem to be haveing the same problem as above. Toilet burps every time you go to flush in the gravity fed one. Hope I can get some info on this. Thanks joe
GAS 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The only way pressure could build in the drain line would be a blockage at the tank end. Since you know the roof vent isn't causing it, the only thing would be the end of the drain pipe must extend down into the tank until the end is submerged in the liquid in the tank. To prove this hypothesis I'd empty the tank and see if burping occurs. You could also try to blow air into the toilet bowl and see if you hear 'bubbling' in the tank. If this is the issue, I'd demand the problem be solved by Forest River. Solution might include cutting the drain line shorter to where it extends down into the tank, drilling a hole in the pipe just after it enters the tank, etc.
If you've got a plumber friend, you could have them video scope the pipes to try to see what's going on.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #4

Well, I exhausted every option I had except cutting the waste pipe from the toilet into the black tank. Forest River did supply the info that the pipe should extend 1 & 1/2 inches into the black tank.

I was gearing up to do this when the wife says that she knows I don't want to do this and it is worth every penny to get someone else to do it. So that's what I did...

I called Matthews RV Repair in Hondo, TX (Shout out to a great company!) who came out and fixed the toilet. Seems the factory installed the pipe until it almost touched the bottom of the tank. Tech said he doesn't know how ANYTHING made it thru to the holding tank. They ended up cutting about 10" off the pipe and re installed the pipe correctly. Ended up costing me $204 which I hope to recoup from Forest River.

I'm going to attach pics of what was cut off and the completed work. It was easy enough that it could be a self repair. But I'm glad the wife wanted some to come out!

Pic of the gasket seal for the waste pipe. The pipe just slides into the gasket, no hard joint.

Pic of excess pipe. This amount was taken off the waste pipe and a little over 8" was INSIDE the black tank.

Pic of completed repair.
10-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #5

Funny thing. I have a brand new 2015 wildwood also with two toilets. While mine doesn't burp when flushed, it will not hold water when closed. Dealer replaced seal and ball (so they say) but never bothered to check and see if it worked. My unit is kept 1300 miles away whit a different branch 250 miles away. Luckily the toilet manufacture will cover a new unit. If your unit is still under warrenty, I suggest you get hold of customer relations and detail the problems you are having.
Stever1 is offline   Reply With Quote