Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #1

Torsion Axles...

My, new to me, 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS sits very low to the ground. So low that I knocked off a stabilizer backing into my sloped driveway when I brought it home.

When I looked at various things that would effect ground clearance, I noticed that my torsion axles swing arms are horizontal. No down angle at all. Is this normal? I would think that they should be at a 22.5 or 45 degree down angle..

Your thoughts?
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2021, 06:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
My, new to me, 2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS sits very low to the ground. So low that I knocked off a stabilizer backing into my sloped driveway when I brought it home.

When I looked at various things that would effect ground clearance, I noticed that my torsion axles swing arms are horizontal. No down angle at all. Is this normal? I would think that they should be at a 22.5 or 45 degree down angle..

Your thoughts?
I would say that is the way it was built. To raise it any you would need to change the entire axles. With those torsion axles make sure you are towing the trailer completely level. if not there is no equalizing between the axles like on spring ride ones.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:50 AM   #3

Thanks David,
I'm going to have a lift kit installed, but that will only raise the body 2 5/8 inches. Maybe that'll get me in the driveway without scraping. If not, I may have to get higher profile tires too... If all fails, I guess I'll have to sell this trailer having never even actually even used it yet...... Argh!
Old 05-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #4

I don't know what your trailer uses, but there [i]are[i] adjustable torsion spring suspensions where the arm can be clocked to something other than 90 degrees.

Worth a look under there at least, before adding a lift kit.

That's a splined hole in the pic, though it's kind of hard to see. It's from a 7000 lb Flexride axle.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...0-%20FlexiRide
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2021, 10:40 PM   #5

Thanks Tom and Jeri,

But those are not applicable to my situation....