RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TT Experienced Help Request

Hi Folks, I have a 2019 Tundra 4x4 with 5.7 liter. 4.30 rear end, tow package.
My tow limit is 8900 lbs. My cargo limit is 1174 lbs.

These are the specs for a Rockwood 2608BS TT
Dimensions Length 29.92 ft. Width 8 ft. (96 in.) Height 11.17 ft. (134 in.) Interior Height 6.67 ft. (80 in.)
Dry Weight 6,608 lbs. Payload Capacity 2188 lbs. Hitch Weight 796 lbs.

Based upon your experience, and the listed weights and capabilities, is this too much trailer for my truck? Or would you say "go for it"?

Thanks In Advance.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 11:17 PM   #2

Thanks for looking into the numbers so you can tow safely .

With only 1174 payload, this truck is not a good tow vehicle .

The hitch weight listed 796 is probably dry , and when loaded will probably be closer to 950 , add a good WDHitch approx 90 pounds and as soon as you sit in the truck it's over loaded.
Remember not all the payload is available at the rear axle , so the rear axle , and probably the tires will be way overloaded.

For the trailer you've listed , you'd need a truck with a trailer weight rating of 11,000 to be safe and 2,000 lbs payload MINIMUM; and even then your rear axle weight could be right on the edge.

Please take your truck full of fuel and family and drive over the scales, get front and rear axle weights and total. Check the scale weight against the GVWR, FAWR & RAWR of the truck , I think you'll be shocked at how little payload you have left.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the knowledgeable response. I pretty much expected to hear that, but I hate the thought of trading in my truck because I have done a lot of custom accessory work. But safety is the priority...

So again, thank you.... I'll reconsider my options, and pay greater attention to the various load limits...
Old 10-27-2020, 12:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
but I hate the thought of trading in my truck because I have done a lot of custom accessory work. But safety is the priority...
Thanks for taking the advice seriously , on a side note ; " your custom accessory work " may have already eaten into your payload capacity .

My first tow vehicle was a Dodge Dakota 4X4 with 1850 payload, and a 7,000 lb ; 5th wheel and hitch ; put it at the rear axle limit.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My son-in-law tried a similar set up with a Tundra. He made one trip from the dealer to his home and decided to trade it for a new 3/4 ton diesel. He said the trailer was controlling the truck.

The max loaded trailer weigh is about 8800#. Your loaded hitch weight should be about 1100#. Your cargo limit on the truck is 1174#. Your cargo or payload for the truck is tongue or hitch weight plus any cargo in the bed plus the hitch plus passengers beyond the driver.

Short answer is you need more truck or less trailer.

Ken
Old 10-28-2020, 12:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks....

I looked at a Dodge 2500 today. Lots more capacity even in the no frills Tradesman model. But my Tundra is a comfortable daily driver. The Dodge is powerful, but a bit big for a daily driver. And, after crunching all the numbers, would put me over 11 thousand dollars deeper in debt.

There doesn't seem to be a way to check all of the boxes, unless I win the lottery.... I'll keep looking at various option...

Thank you all for your opinions, and knowledge....