Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:51 PM   #1

Water damage repair

I recently purchased 2007 forced River Rockwood 8318 SS. I'm a full-time solo RV'er and just noticed that the wall around my rear bunkhouse slide out is severely water damage and I'm afraid to put the slide out for fear that it might fall. My traveling companions are two nine-month-old dogs and that is there bedroom there large dogs and nine-month-old weighing 60 pounds apiece I need to repair the damage to this wall immediately and was wondering if there is any advice before undertake this adventure on my own. I've never done any repairs to an RV before I'm new to this and would appreciate any input that you would be willing to offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211017_213714.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	346389   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211017_213731.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	346390  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211017_213630.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	346391   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211017_213754.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	346392  

MomaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 10:04 PM   #2

Welcome to IRV2.. sorry can't help.. but it's coming just hold on.. one thing.. you got to find out why.. and where water is coming from.. and what ever you see.. is just 1% of damage... there is 99% you cannot see.. just take your time.. and you will get it.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you oh thanks for pictures.. that will get you better opinions..
Old 10-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #3

Thanks

Thank you for reading and replying to my post. I have determined where the leak was coming from and repaired all outside damage now it's just a matter of whether or not I can repair the interior damage and how I should go about it. Thanks again for responding.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You really do not know the extent of the damage until you get the interior wall panels pulled apart. Looking at the photos, I would think that you will find severe structural damage. I think that the Rockwood trailers are wood-framed, so at least this can be rebuilt without metal working skills.

More than likely, the slide will have to come out of the trailer, and this is generally a shop procedure. I would throw out a guess that to get this repaired, you are looking at something in the range of $5,000.

You have to decide if it is worth the money to repair this.

Ken
Old 10-19-2021, 08:03 AM   #5

thank you Ken I appreciate your response unfortunately that amount of money is out of the question for me. I just purchased this RV and this damage was concealed by the people that sold it I asked them specifically several times if there'd been any leaks and they told me no repeatedly now im in a bad spot because I live in my RV full-time just me and my dogs so I have to decide if I can undertake this project myself or consider the fact that I might have to take a huge loss and sell it.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
MomaD, I am so sorry that you ran across some crooks getting rid of an RV. This presents a really good reason to have a professional RV inspector check over an RV before you buy the RV. Spending a few hundred can save you a lot more in the long run.

Your primary project for not is to get the leak stopped. Hopefully, you can get this done and still live in the RV.

The biggest concern is how much structural damage is done and how secure the wall will be. If you are not moving the trailer, put the slide out and keep an eye on the wall as it contacts the slide trim.

Ken
Old 10-20-2021, 01:39 PM   #7

I got the leak stopped I think. I went over everything and sealed it. I was trying to work with several of the RV dealers in my area and unfortunately they just didn't have anything in my price range that compared to this well now I know why but I'll be where lesson learned lesson learned.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:47 AM   #8

Hey Ken what should i be looking for when i put the slide out? other than the obvious of course the whole thing falling right out of the trailer...lol I can tell that there's quite a bit of damage as far as the wall and insulation but I'm fairly certain that the actual frame is still solid. Like you said I really won't know until I get the wall opened up but unfortunately I have to postpone that project because I'm having shoulder surgery in the morning and then of course I live in Wisconsin so we have a wonderful winter coming which I was totally not prepared for because I was halfway to Arizona before I found out I had have surgery and had to return to my home state to get that taken care of. So keep your fingers crossed for me and send up a prayer if you're so inclined that it hold up till spring. thanks again for your advice I really do appreciate all the words of wisdom I can get.

Tags
air, repair, water, water damage