Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Where is the water heater bypass valve?

Newbie here Where might I find the water heater bypass valve in my MH? How can I tell if there is water in the water heater? It is a Shasta Cynara --- stepchild to the Forest River Forester. The only valve that I can easily spot is on a blue pex line in a bay about 5' to the rear of the water heater access door. The water filter is in this bay, but everything is nicely concealed so I can't follow the lines without dismantling something. That valve has been in the "on" position -- pointing the same direction as the water line.

I tried heating water for the first time. I consulted the manual which only stated to "if there is a bypass". I looked inside the water heater access panel, not seeing a water valve, I turned on the WH switch and went outside, planning to come back later to take a shower.

When I returned there was a smell of melted plastic inside and the switch light was no longer lit. I assume I burnt out the electric element?? Can I get hot water using propane? It's a Suburban. I pushed the reset switch just now and heard gas igniting.

HHHHHELP, I NEED a shower BAD.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are two ways to pipe the "by-pass" if you have one. One has a valve at the inlet and outlet of the water heater and the other has a single 3 port valve. To see if you have water in the water heater, have the water connected to the coach OR the water pump on. At the water heater bay, lift the lever on the water heater, if you have water there, you will get some air and then water. DO NOT do this with the water heater on or hor as you may get burned.

You should be able to see how the water heater is plumbed from under a bunk or in the back of a cabinet. You may have to remove a panel to get at the back of the water heater.

For propane heating of the water heater, make sure the valve at the tank is on. You may have to light a stove burner to clear the lines of air and cycle the water heater through a few start cycles. I presume you have a DSI (direct spark ignition) which you should be able to heat sparking or clicking when it tries to light. At the heater you will heat ir roaring slightly when it is lite.

Hope you get to shower.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
It would appear that you do not have a bypass which would be attached to the water heater and would look something like this Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply
You should be able to see on the exterior the water heater access door, there you can observe the propane ignite and burn (check flame color and adjust by moving the air shutter) if you have a nice blue flame you should be good to go. You can also check to see if you are getting power to the electric heating element using a VOM. Suburban and Atwood both have manuals available on line with pictures that will show you what is what and how it works, or doesn't.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #4

w/h bypass

the bypass valve on most w/h is at the back of the unit where the tank is connected to the plumbing if i wanted to know if the heator was bipased i would go to the access door for the heator open it and pull the handle on t/p valve if you get pressurised water out you are not in bypass lee
hometool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Finally found the bypass valve -- under the bed but there is a round port with a plastic screw-in lid. Thank you Forest River! BUT, the water heater anode popped out as soon as the water started to fill the tank.

This makes 4 factory plumbing issues I've found -- missing fresh water tank drain cap, 2 faucets with incorrect valves and the anode. Is this typical in a new RV?

The good news is I got a shower and am surprised that it wasn't as cramped as I was expecting. One more small victory for a full time lifestyle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #6

The water bypass valves are under sink area. to the right of tank There are 3 to deal with
gorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Picture shows valves in summer position.

In the winter they will be turned in opposite direction.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water