Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #1

Why do backup cameras show grass as brown

Tried a search on this, nothing that was helpful.

My backup camera/monitor will see green. Our last wrangler was Rescue Green and showed reasonably true on the monitor.

So why does green grass look brown? I thought it was just my camera or monitor but in reading posts from others (in other forums) I saw that others have the same problem.

There were myriad of theories including something about grass not being visible at night and so the camera/monitor is programmed to show it in brown. However no credible solutions or statements concerning this appeared in any of the posts I read.

Does anyone else see this in their monitor (some do show grass as green)?

Does anyone know why this is?

Roll......I should add I have fiddled with color, contrast, day and night controls without any success in turning the grass to green.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2019, 09:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Did you try doing a white balance. I installed two camera/monitor systems on our old coach and had to set the white balance because the colours were a bit off.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:54 AM   #3

If the camera doesn't have an IR cut filter (or its stuck off) the reddish color your seeing is infrared light. A camera with a IR cut filter will have it on during the day to block IR light for normal color and flip it off at night so IR emitters work to see in the dark:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ir-cut-filter-review-for-the-urs.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	247830
Old 05-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
If the camera doesn't have an IR cut filter (or its stuck off) the reddish color your seeing is infrared light. A camera with a IR cut filter will have it on during the day to block IR light for normal color and flip it off at night so IR emitters work to see in the dark:

Attachment 247830
That's exactly what I see, the one on the right. So has the IR filter failed? I have not found any adjustments on the camera and limited on the monitor, (and I see no way to adjust the white balance).

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
That's exactly what I see, the one on the right. So has the IR filter failed? I have not found any adjustments on the camera and limited on the monitor, (and I see no way to adjust the white balance).
If it was correct color at some point and not now, it probably means the IR cut filter is stuck off. Its just a mechanical lens that moves over the sensor and can get stuck one way or the other. No amount of color adjustment will fix it, the camera is seeing colors your eyes can't with the filter off.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
If it was correct color at some point and not now, it probably means the IR cut filter is stuck off. Its just a mechanical lens that moves over the sensor and can get stuck one way or the other. No amount of color adjustment will fix it, the camera is seeing colors your eyes can't with the filter off.
Well, I bought a new camera. Mine was original (2011) and it was hard wired. I had to go with a Voyager camera because of the unique wire connection to the front of the coach and I didn't want to go wireless. I went with a wider view and plan to disconnect the side cameras which I never use. I would prefer to have the back view when passing trucks so I am confident I have cleared the vehicle I am passing. In case anyone wonders I bought a VCMS155B replacement camera (Amazon). I have no real idea if this is a solid brand or I will be shopping again in a year.

Roll
Old 05-31-2019, 05:09 AM   #7

Real hard to tell from specs if VCMS155B has a IR cut filter, its IR sensitive since it uses IR emitters, but doesn't mention a cut filter, it does talk about accurate color reproduction which normally implies IR cut for daytime use.

So either yours has an IR cut filter that's not working or that model just doesn't have one. Seems like my stock back-up may not have one, I don't pay close attention to the color but it does have that reddish tint, wonder if they leave them off to keep them simpler.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #8

Installing the new back up camera today. I'll advise if it has a cut filter and/or if the grass is green or brown.

Roll
Old 06-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #9

Grass is green meaning I suppose that it has an IR cut filter. Not finished with the install, had to modify the bracket, therefore had to prime and paint the thing when I was done. Letting it dry overnight, will complete the install tomorrow.

Tags
camera