Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2023, 11:08 PM   #1

"Winterizing Inlet" in water bay -'How to Use'?

I have a "winterizing Inlet" that I do not know how to use in my new class A Coachmen Encore 325 SS. Hopefully the photo is attached. I tried to use this when purifying the tank recently. I connected a short hose to this "Water Inlet" with the other end in a mix of bleach solution, turned on the pump and no bleach solution was sucked up. I'll need to figure out how to do this when I winterize. There are three valves behind the panel near the 'inlet". I think I must need to use them. I'll try to get another photo soon showing what is behind it. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230207_105306.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	387804  
Encore_325SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2023, 11:46 PM   #2

There should be a valve marked WINTERIZE that will have to be turned to enable the pump to draw from the winterize inlet.
Also, when winterizing, there should be a valve marked Water Heater Bypass that will have to be turned so you won't fill the Water Heater with Anti-freeze.

Tim
Old 03-10-2023, 09:32 AM   #3

the winterize valve was mentioned above. what it does it to direct the water pump suction input to either the fresh water tank (normal position) or the winterizing input (where you would suck up the antifreeze). it is not possible to use the winterizing input to route liquid into your fresh water tank.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:41 PM   #4

An easier way to introduce bleach into the tank is to remove the filter, put the desired amount of bleach for your tank size into the empty filter housing, reinstall and use the tank fill valve to fill your tank with the bleach/:water mixture.
Then use the onboard water pump to pump the solution to allnfaucets, shower outlets and let sit fir the desired time before draining. & flushing.
EZ- PZ
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:32 AM   #5

Valve Identification ; promised pictures

Here are the photos I promised.

This is my best guess: I think the valves on the two vertical pipes are hot water and cold water drain lines and the valve on the horizontal white pipe might drain the fresh water tank. Further, I think none of these valves would facilitate use of the 'winterize inlet'.

None of the valves are labeled. ( I bypassed the hot-water heater separately with valves attached to the hot water heater from inside the coach.)

I verified that all three pipes drain below the water bay floor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230320_121119.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	388522   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230320_121120.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	388523  

Name:	20230320_121134.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	388524  
Old 03-23-2023, 04:19 AM   #6

Looks to me that those valves are the Low Point drains.

Tim
Old 03-24-2023, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
Looks to me that those valves are the Low Point drains.

Tim
I concur. Thanks. I have not been able to locate a "winterize valve". Where else might I search for one?
Old 03-24-2023, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
the winterize valve was mentioned above. what it does it to direct the water pump suction input to either the fresh water tank (normal position) or the winterizing input (where you would suck up the antifreeze). it is not possible to use the winterizing input to route liquid into your fresh water tank.
Where is the "winterize valve" . I have only been able to locate low water drain valves and vales inside for the hot water heater.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:23 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encore_325SS View Post
Where is the "winterize valve" . I have only been able to locate low water drain valves and vales inside for the hot water heater.
If I'm telling you something you already know, then I apologize. But you need to understand that "Winterizing" and "Sanitizing" are entirely different processes employing different mechanisms. Winterizing utilizes the water pump to draw antifreeze into your fresh water system without putting the antifreeze in you fresh water tank. You don't want antifreeze in that tank. That you just want to completely drain for the winter.

On the other hand, when sanitizing your fresh water system, you do want the sanitizing solution (whatever you use) in your tank as part of that process. If you have a gravity fill for your fresh water tank anywhere on your RV (typically on an outer wall near the tank), use that to pour the mixture into your tank. If you don't have one, then another way is to pour bleach, in the amount you need for your size fresh water tank, into your empty fresh water hose. With that done, you can quickly attach your hose to your fresh water fill and fill your tank with fresh water. The fresh water will clean the bleach out your hose, and the proper amount of bleach in combination with the fresh water will fill your tank in the proper proportion of bleach to water for sanitizing your system. At that point, you can use your water pump to send the water/bleach mixture thru all you fixtures to sanitize your system. If you don't want to put bleach in your fresh water hose, there are various "appliances" on the market to pour the bleach into to do the same thing of mixing the proper amounts of bleach and water for your fresh water system to do the job. Hope this is helpful.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:32 AM   #10

2 things, first looking at the snapshots closer, the horizontal valve MAY be your Fresh Water Tank drain. I've seen small sized drains before.

Second,the Winterizing valve and the Water Heater Bypass valve may be located by the Hot water tank.

Tim
Old 04-09-2023, 05:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"Winterizing Inlet" in water bay -'How to Use'?

Sorry if I'm late to the party and you've already figured this out, but if not, try this YouTube and see if it helps:

RajTaj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, winter, winterizing