Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

MCD Shades Featured on The Racing Guy on ESPN Radio

* MCD Innovations, manufacturer of day/night roller shades for the RV, commercial and residential markets, is again being featured in the media for the eighth time this year. Pat Patterson, AKA The Racing Guy, has been involved in the auto racing business for more than 25 years. Pat hosts ESPN RaceDay on ESPN Radio Saturday and Sunday from 6:00-7:00am (ET) and also commentates on his show, Front Stretch on NASCAR Radio Sirius/XM Channel 90. Recently he visited MCD to have American Duo™ Day/Night Shades installed in his motorcoach. While at the factory, Pat took a tour of the facility and interviewed MCD owner, Dave Townsley. They talked about the evolution of MCD Innovations, the new MCD factory campus and Dave’s involvement in different forms of racing over the years.

Check out this interesting and informative video on The Racing Guy home page. Go to The Racing Guy: Pat Patterson ESPN Radio/Sirius Nascar Radio to watch.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks Peggy!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #3

Not to knock MCD Shades, they look very nice, but they seem to be the same kind of old fashion shades that we had as kids in our parent's homes? Just plan old roll up shades.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Do you own MCD shades? IMO they are not "just plain old roll up shades". They are higher quality material, you can see out but no one can see in with day shades down & they roll up slowly, smoothly & silently.

Unlike my parent's rollershades which were plastic that got brittle & damaged by UV rays, you couldn't see out of them when they were down & if you let go of them when rolling them up, they retracted so hard either you had to take them down off the window to dig the finger-hold end of it where it embedded itself within the roll or it snapped up so fast with a loud smack that it propelled itself off the window & scared the crap out of me.

For me night & day difference compared to roller shades of my parent's/grandparent's era.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
Just plan old roll up shades.
The design is timeless; the application exceeds expectations.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Do you own MCD shades? IMO they are not "just plain old roll up shades". They are higher quality material, you can see out but no one can see in with day shades down & they roll up slowly, smoothly & silently.

Unlike my parent's rollershades which were plastic that got brittle & damaged by UV rays, you couldn't see out of them when they were down & if you let go of them when rolling them up, they retracted so hard either you had to take them down off the window to dig the finger-hold end of it where it embedded itself within the roll or it snapped up so fast with a loud smack that it propelled itself off the window & scared the crap out of me.

For me night & day difference compared to roller shades of my parent's/grandparent's era.

Lori-
Gee Lori I was just thinking out loud. You got to admit, MCD shades brought back some good old childhood memories, good and bad!

Happy Holiday, Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
We took advantage of the 30% rebate that MCD offered in October and put the day-night duo in our newly purchased 2012 Excel Limited. Getting the shades has been one of our best RVing decisions. They are not like the shades of days gone by. The day shades keep out the hot sun rays which helps for a cooler house. And the night shades let us sleep in a bit more as they really keep out the morning sunlight. Thanks again, Peggy, for all your help.

And last but not least, I've torn up my restringing instructions for the day-night accordion shades. Yay.

Sarge.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
The MCD shades are fabulous. I'll never go back to pleated shades or blinds. One of the best and most useful upgrades we ordered on our camper. Highly recommend.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We measured three times then ordered our shades shipped to us directly from MCD. They came in a box like I have never seen as far as being durable. We installed the shades ourselves which saved several dollars. That was almost two years ago. Best improvement we have made to the rig. The pleated shades were a constant maintenance headache with undersized strings breaking. DW even printed her own schematic for restringing that still floats around on the owners forum.

We have no real problems other than temperature changes seem to affect the rollup speed on the bigger and heavier shades. I imagine the material gets a little stiffer in cooler air. A small tension adjustment takes care of that. Only regret is not buying them sooner.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #10

We're seriously considering MCD shades throughout our Motor Home including the cockpit. We have a combination of pleated, curtains, and an electric shade at the windshield. Six total windows, excludes toilet room and kitchen window.

We might even travel to Texas to get them done.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Not to knock MCD Shades, they look very nice, but they seem to be the same kind of old fashion shades that we had as kids in our parent's homes? Just plan old roll up shades.

Stano
It's evident that you have not used these, compared to conventional pleated shades there is absolutely no comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post

We have no real problems other than temperature changes seem to affect the rollup speed on the bigger and heavier shades. I imagine the material gets a little stiffer in cooler air. A small tension adjustment takes care of that. Only regret is not buying them sooner.
They are in fact a tad bit slower when colder but they still roll up on their own and if you really want them to roll up faster one finger tip takes care of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
We're seriously considering MCD shades throughout our Motor Home including the cockpit. We have a combination of pleated, curtains, and an electric shade at the windshield. Six total windows, excludes toilet room and kitchen window.

We might even travel to Texas to get them done.
if your the slightest bit handy installing them would be a breeze, the windshield might take just a bit more of thought and effort.

I bought them for the whole bus at the Fleetwood rally in Goshen and had them installed in the area while I was out for the summer. I thought about having my windows tinted for sun control as well as that particular look from the outside but I also wanted clear windows to look out of when parked in most areas. I now have that tinted look from the outside yet I can still see through the right side windows in the daytime while driving with the solar shades down. When I bought the bus one of the things I needed to do was get rid of all the foggy windows that looked really bad when parked when looking at them from the outside with the solar shade down that is no longer a problem until the window get fixed.

With the shades down at night the outside view is total blackout even with all the inside lights on.

I had one 57" long shade develop a problem with rolling up to the parked position and would not adjust for me a quick call to the factory for assistance in getting it adjusted in case I was doing something wrong and the simple and surest solution was they shipped me a replacement shade.

The customer service lived up to what I've read about them in the past.

Do you get the idea I'm happy with mine
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #12

Quote:

Stano
We had to contact the company MCD shades last year and found them to be a fantastic company- they went above and beyond to help with our issues --we would recommend them anytime!
gosling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Missed the sale in October. Are they going to go on sale again? Looking to do entire MH.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #14

I haven't heard that we will have another sale like this one. I really don't expect it.

Tags
radio