Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vendor Spotlight (Deals, Announcements & More)
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:13 AM   #1
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Rand McNally OverDryve 7 RV Tablet With GPS

The Rand McNally OverDryve combines an RV-specific navigation system with the features you would find on an Android tablet. You can get specific routing and updates based on the class, height, and weight of your vehicle.
  • Record your drive with the built-in dash cam
  • Easily snap the device on and off the powered, magnetic mount
  • 7" 1280 x 800 resolution screen
  • Manage and plan trips with the pre-installed TripMaker app and digital road atlas
  • Download your favorite apps, stream movies and more
  • Lifetime maps provides regular map updates
  • Use voice assistance to read and send text messages or place hands-free calls
  • Built in speakers
  • Battery Life: up to 6 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video or listening to music
  • Camera: 2-megapixel forward-facing and 8-megapixel rear camera
  • Dimensions: 5-2/5" (H) x 7-1/8" (W) x 5/8" (D)
  • Includes: (1) OverDryve™ 7 RV tablet, (1) Powered magnetic mount, (1) Dash mount disk, (1) FM transmitter antenna, (1) Auxiliary cable, (1) Charger, (1) Anti-glare screen and (1) Quick start guide

To find out more or to purchase, click here --> Rand McNally OverDryve 7 RV Android Tablet With GPS

RVupgrades.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #2

Have you actually used this thing????

It's been a total hassle for me. I haven't been able to get them on the phone for support more than once, and I had to install several updates, and had to reset it back to the factory version repeatedly to get it to work. I'd say that unless Rand can do something drastic, this thing is not a good GPS. On top of that the Apps you can download on it are extremely limited. Despite the fact that it's an Android based tablet, there is no Google Play apps store, and the web browser is limited to Mozilla's Firefox. The apps store is some-out-fit I've never heard of, and the apps they have are a bit of a joke. OH, it needs a 32 Gig card to run, but it doesn't come with one, and there is little mention that one is needed. You discover this when you try to update the software, as instructed, for the first time. I had to go out and buy a card before I could update the software Not cool.

Its out of stock at most places, has Rand pulled this thing from the market?

What is going on with Rand McNally?
Dadeoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
X2 do some online research before you buy a Rand McNally GPS. Personally I did not have a good experience with them after the purchase. They dropped providing the lifetime map updates less than 3 years after I purchased a new unit from Camping World.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:09 PM   #4

Does the Overdryve 7 RV tablet support voice navigation? I only see voice assistant for phone calls.

I can use more volume. Can my tablet play audio navigation instructions via the smart mount bracket? How to enable?

I downloaded my custom POIs and see them listed, but there's not a way to manage them as in my
older RM units where I could set up warning distances and alert sounds for each.
The manage My custom POIs tab is missing and needed from this unit. Was this an oversight?
JKConey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:08 PM   #5

I looked at RM website, that thing is pricey. I stick with my Garmin 770 RV.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:12 AM   #6

Here is my update after using it for another 4 months. Rand McNally got hacked (as did Garmin) last year. After they came back from the hack Rand sent out an update to the software. It's now a far, far, far better machine. The GPS is stable and is more sensitive than the Garmin it replaced. It now gets a GPS signal where the phone and my old Garmin won't. The apps are still limited and its not that powerful a tablet for other apps, but as a GPS with a trip planner, it can't be beat.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #7

I'm going to update mine and hope for the improvements. Wonder if they added the missing ability to manage My custom POIs? Now I can't adjust when I'm notified or how for each.
JKConey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:50 AM   #8

Voice Navigation

When hooked to a moblle hotspot, it does support voice navigation. And it does it quite well.

We used ours on a 10,000 mile trip around the country over the last few months. After the third or fourth update, it actually worked well.

But the fact that RM released this thing with such crappy untested software is a real issue for me. Its was crazy stupid on their part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKConey View Post
Does the Overdryve 7 RV tablet support voice navigation? I only see voice assistant for phone calls.

I can use more volume. Can my tablet play audio navigation instructions via the smart mount bracket? How to enable?

I downloaded my custom POIs and see them listed, but there's not a way to manage them as in my
older RM units where I could set up warning distances and alert sounds for each.
The manage My custom POIs tab is missing and needed from this unit. Was this an oversight?
Old 01-03-2022, 09:21 AM   #9

Further Update

Another update as I am still using mine. After a year I can say that this is a very good RV GPS unit. When in car mode and not towing it is not quite as good, but it's far better than Google, Waze and my old Garmin. For me it's important that it keeps me off dirt and unplowed winter roads, and it does a great job of that. But it does not always put me on the fastest route, as the software appears to be biased towards the shortest route.

I use RandMcnally's TripMaker website to plan long distance / months long trips with many, many stops. Then I can download those trips anywhere I can get wifi, including the hotspot from my phone. And because the same TripMaker software runs on the GPS I can still edit the trip after its downloaded whether or not I can access the internet or my PC. While TripMaker on the web does not allow for on-screen adding of destinations not already its its database, it does allow you to add waypoints by moving the already selected route around the map. TripMaker also allows for entering new GPS coordinates, entering information like a name for them, and selecting millions of interesting destinations already in its database thru its search function.

It's also nice that I can read my email and use the web to search for places that are not in its database.

Tags
gps