Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2023, 04:23 AM   #1

03 Monaco Baroness vs 07 HR Sceptor, which one?

This is my first post and I'm looking at the two coaches above. Both are tags, both have around 95k miles. The Baroness has been extremely well taken care of and not sure of history of Sceptor but seems to be. This will be our first coach also.

Curious as to difference in the two, chassis, suspension, electronics, etc. I didn't know if much changed on the electrical side between the two. Any common issues?

We want to pull our Jeep out west for a few weeks this summer.

Thanks guys! I have been stalking on here for months reading all the good advice!
Lt1wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2023, 04:40 AM   #2

If you have links to share to the listing, that might help some see the exact models you are talking about and perhaps give some insights.

For me, personally, it is as much if not more so the layout. If you have had other motorhomes or large trailers in the past, then you have probably thought this through. If you haven't really think about how you will use the space throughout the day and what is a priority for you.

For me personally, I found the Monaco DST to be the only layout that I wanted and would work. I get up much earlier than my wife and have access to a half-bath in front with the bedroom door closed. Having a second full bath (with tub/shower), laundry, closet behind a door in the back, makes it possible for me to get ready very early in the morning. It would not work for us to have a shower that blocks off access from the bedroom to front, if other family members are in. We discovered long ago that if the shower denies others access to a toilet, problems ensue.

Before plunking down a lot of money on a quality rig that has good guts, make sure you won't hate those guts in a year because of layout use.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Is the Monaco a Dynasty or Signature?

Either way both of these are great coaches and 2003 should be a nice rig. I own a 2002 Windsor (one step below the Dynasty) and it is rock solid. One advantage is that the electronics are much simpler. At one point Monaco started installing muliplex type system which can be complicated to diagnose and fix.

Also, they will be mounted on a "Semi-Monocoque Roadmaster Chassis" and be side radiator, a great advantage.

What engines are each of the two rigs? Pulling a toad is all about HP. I pull a Jeep GC with my 350 HP 8.3 ISC but wish I had more.

The Scepter is also a nice rig.

In either case I'd recommend oil analysis on the engine, generator and transmission oil. Also a coolant analysis. Cost ~$120 but well worth it. I buy 3 kits at a time from JG Lubrication. Takes about a week to get the results back once you send them in.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 12:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Both the Monaco Signature and Monaco Dynasty had a Baroness sub-model, and I'd probably choose either one over the Sceptre. All other things being equal, of course. But that's mostly just my personal preference in interior styling. I don't think there is much difference technically. Nor do I think the 4 model-year difference is important as long as the condition is equal.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 02:54 PM   #5

Thanks guys! I went and looked at the scepter this morning and it was really run down and not what I was looking for. The Monaco is a dynasty and has the 400 horsepower Cummins. It actually says it's a baron SS, which if I understand correctly is just a different floor plan than the baroness. I have been reading about the inverter and didn't know if this year had MSW or PSW inverter, I wanted to update the appliances and didn't know if that mattered.

If the drivetrain has been service regularly and they do have all the service records, is it very reliable?
Old 03-26-2023, 03:53 PM   #6

The tale of 2 RV'S. one well taken care and the other, not so much. When someone takes care or their equipment, you can trust, it's thoroughly taken care of.
Took me 2 years to find my well taken care of 2002 Monaco Windsor. They just don't come along very often.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 04:42 PM   #7

You are so right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzerbiz View Post
The tale of 2 RV'S. one well taken care and the other, not so much. When someone takes care or their equipment, you can trust, it's thoroughly taken care of.
Took me 2 years to find my well taken care of 2002 Monaco Windsor. They just don't come along very often.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:42 PM   #8

Does the 03 Monaco Dynasty have a fiberglass roof?
Old 03-26-2023, 07:38 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, it has a fiberglass roof.

Here is a link to the manual and brochure, you might find some of your answers here.

https://www.monacocoach.com/service-and-repairs/
There is not a 2003 listed so you need to look at both 2002 and 2004. They made upgrades every year but they should provide info.
There is a brochure for 2003. It does not list a PSW inverter so my guess is it is a MSW.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Yes, it has a fiberglass roof.

Here is a link to the manual and brochure, you might find some of your answers here.

https://www.monacocoach.com/service-and-repairs/
There is not a 2003 listed so you need to look at both 2002 and 2004. They made upgrades every year but they should provide info.
There is a brochure for 2003. It does not list a PSW inverter so my guess is it is a MSW.

Thank you!

Tags
monaco