Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #1

'04 Itasca Horizon, NEW CARPET, YAHOOOOO!

Gang,
Well, 14 years old and 82,000 miles, the big girl was showing some wear, in the carpet that is. After discussing various replacement flooring, types, colors, designs and whatnot, we both kept going back to the fact that we both like CARPET! I know, I know, I know, the MAJORITY of the RV owners out there that even think about changing flooring, migrate over to the "mod" stuff. I don't blame any of you, most of that flooring looks pretty good.

But, we're both kinda "Old school" in the fact that, to us, it still looks good, feels good, is a great SOUND DEADENER, and is warmer on the little feetzies. Besides, as you can see in one of the pics, the super Schnauzer has given the approval. The old carpet was an off-white, sort of cream. While we are not the original owners, the previous ones actually took pretty good care of it and, when we took possession of the coach, almost 7 years ago, it was pretty nice.

But, in 7 years, and the 42,000 miles we've added to the clock, it was going downhill fast. And we're pretty good about wiping feet and all that before we enter. But, off white is NOT a good color for RV carpet. Especially if you ACTUALLY USE your RV like we do. So, after much debate, we chose new carpet. And, we (actually the CEO made the final decision, I just pay for things) chose a speckled grey/black/white blend. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better looking than what came out.

Upon giving the thumbs up to the flooring outfit that's doing the job, I proceeded to gut the motorhome as much as possible. That meant both drivers and passengers full electric captains chairs OUT, the shorter love seat, OUT, the table and chairs, (bolted to the floor) OUT, but, the long, electric couch that changes to a bed, well, even when I split it into two sections, each was just too big to move out of the coach. So, we propped them up and as much out of the way as possible, to get the main section done.

Tomorrow when the installer returns for finish work, we'll move them to the other side and he'll finish installing the slide carpet. Man, is that guy one seriously good installer. He takes time in all applications, every corner, every nitch is tucked in, wrapped around, precisely cut etc. While pictures don't ever show the real perspective, this is equally as nice as the original Winnebago/Itasca install during the building of this coach, in November of '03.

This project started on Tuesday when the company owner and a helper came over and did the complete tearout of all the old carpet. Man that stuff was ugly. I paid for a complete tearout and install but, when they left, me being me, I just goofed around and removed some protruding staples, excess old carpet in and under corners of cabinets and plastic panels etc. I wanted the install to look and feel as good as the original install did and I didn't want any hindrance of the install.

The gent that's installing is a young, SEVENTY SEVEN years old!!!!!!! While not the fastest installer, he's definitely accurate and thorough. I'll take that over super speedy installs with mistakes, anytime.

And, as a side note, the one primary reason I'm having this "Young man" install ours is, we just inspected some friends coach that he just did. It was a professional install for sure. And the price, well, to us, we can't beat that with a stick. So, we contracted the company and the installer and, set it up for immediate install.

One more thing, apparently we're not the only ones who still like carpet. The gent just completed 3 motorhomes pryor to ours and, he not only has one lined up, just as soon as he walks away from ours but, we've got other friends who are really to pull the trigger too on their Country Coach. So, folks, CARPET is still alive and well.
Scott

Next assignment, we'll be attacking the old, outdated upholstery you see on the couches and the window valance coverings. Full speed ahead!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	193422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1278.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	193423  

Name:	IMG_1293.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	193424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	193425  

Name:	IMG_1289.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	193426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1295.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	608.2 KB
ID:	193427  

Name:	IMG_1296.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	193428   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1297.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	193429  

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 10:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Looks Awesome!!!

Hey -
We have nearly the identical rig, and our carpet is in about the same shape. What you have done looks fantastic.

We definitely want carpet (especially after some travel in the cold this winter, plus had laminate in previous rig) - even though as you say this is an increasingly less-popular option.

If you don't mind sharing the installer information, I'd appreciate a PM; I may do it myself but am definitely not opposed to having a pro do it.
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW!

That really looks nice!
Old 02-24-2018, 05:04 AM   #4

Hey, Scott-

In our coach's bedroom it appears as if the carpet was put down and then the cabinetry laid over it. Is yours the same? If so, how did the removal guy handle that?

If I went to vinyl or wood flooring I'm concerned I'd see the fuzzy edges of cut-back carpet peeking out from under the cabinet fronts. Of course, If we went with carpet, as you are, the rolled-under edge of the new carpet would probably cover the fuzzy edges.

I would like to avoid having to use quarter-rounds to hide these things.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaptrn View Post
Hey -
We have nearly the identical rig, and our carpet is in about the same shape. What you have done looks fantastic.

We definitely want carpet (especially after some travel in the cold this winter, plus had laminate in previous rig) - even though as you say this is an increasingly less-popular option.

If you don't mind sharing the installer information, I'd appreciate a PM; I may do it myself but am definitely not opposed to having a pro do it.
ziaptrn,
I certainly thank you for the nice comments. You ought to see the finished product! I'll get more pics as I finish up installing all the couches, table and chairs and, the both front seats. As for the installer, he works for or, is contracted with a Flooring company here in Lake Havasu City AZ.

The company is called:

Discount Direct Floors
Lake Havasu City AZ
Tim Rhymer
928-733-0897

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGlide View Post
That really looks nice!
SoCalGlide,
I thank you Sir for the nice comment. It's all done now, time to reinstall all the guts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Hey, Scott-

In our coach's bedroom it appears as if the carpet was put down and then the cabinetry laid over it. Is yours the same? If so, how did the removal guy handle that?

If I went to vinyl or wood flooring I'm concerned I'd see the fuzzy edges of cut-back carpet peeking out from under the cabinet fronts. Of course, If we went with carpet, as you are, the rolled-under edge of the new carpet would probably cover the fuzzy edges.

I would like to avoid having to use quarter-rounds to hide these things.
Hey Mark,
The team that yanked all the old stuff out was pretty good. They pulled it from under edges where they could. Yes, about 99.999% of the original carpet in most coaches IS installed prior to the addition of cabinetry, couches, dinettes and more. Where cabinetry is involved, they cut as much under the front face, as they could. Obviously, near tile, they ripped it all out so the new carpet would butt right up against the the tile. As for anything else that was removable, well, as stated, I gutted that coach.

That does two things. One, the installer has a waaaaaaaaaaaaay easier time installing when it's a clean slate and not have to cut, trim, bend, contort and all that, trying to make the new carpet fit as nicely as the old looked in place. One of the couples we hang around with here that just had theirs done, (the one that inspired us), he didn't remove one single item. That poor carpet layer had all the furniture, drivers and passengers front seats and more, to dodge and work around. What a serious pain in the A$$!

I'll get more pics after all the furniture is reinstalled. It will look more realistic that way. Right now, it looks like a carpeted gymnasium with a kitchen sink.
Scott
Old 02-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #6

Very nice job. We went with luxury vinyl plank because of two 16lb cats and ease of cleaning but will be using throw rugs for comfortClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2773.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	480.3 KB
ID:	193529Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2759.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	193530
Old 02-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #7

Both look great
boyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That looks great, Scott! I'm with you on carpet...

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #9

'04 Itasca Horizon, NEW CARPET, YAHOOOOO!

I’m with you on the carpet thing, too. I’ve even added carpet tiles over the vinyl strip in the kitchen and the bathroom, so we are 100% carpet now. Since they are tiles, we can just replace one if we have a bad spill. Hasn’t happened yet, though.
Bloodyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #10

The finished product, a ton of work but, well worth it.

Well gang,
It's all finished. It was quite a bit of work, the way we did it but, in the end, way, way worth it. If any of you are even considering re-carpeting or, maybe even other types of flooring, some advice I can share with any and all would be take plenty of pictures of specific points of interest. Things like how certain items are fastened to the floor, sequence of how things come apart, specific bolts and or screws that fasten whatever to whatever.

If there are different kinds and lengths of screws etc., then get baggies or, any other means of keeping things separate and label EVERYTHING! Also, one thing I did that was absolutely priceless was to take measurements from the wall(s) to where ever there were things fastened to the floor. Things like couches, the table for table and chairs, bump-stops for the slide out cover over the entry steps etc.

All of those fastening holes, WILL BE COVERED UP BY THE NEW CARPET!!! So, trying to find those holes under brand new carpet is all but impossible. So, by taking TWO DIMENSION measurements to any and all fasteners/screws etc. you have a really, really good idea where all the holes are UNDER THE NEW CARPET. That little precaution sure saved me hours of trying to probe the new carpet, looking for original holes so all my furniture could go back in the same spot.

Anyway, here's a few more pics of the finished product. We couldn't be happier. The attention to detail by this installer is without a doubt, outstanding. The last picture, low and to the right, shows the sliding step cover, in the OUT position.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1698.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	193784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1700.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	193785  

Name:	IMG_1701.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	193786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1702.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	193787  

Name:	IMG_1703.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	193788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1705.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	513.0 KB
ID:	193789  

Name:	IMG_1707.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	193790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1710.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	193791  

Old 02-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #11

Excellent job and very good point about locating all mounting points and marking all parts
Old 02-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #12

Just replaced the bedroom carpet with new carpet. We considering wood, tile, marble etc. After now having done the carpet...glad I went with it...it would have been a major PITA to do anything different with all of the cuts and jogs around the slide etc.

fireUp, Curious - roughly what did it cost for a pro to do the install? You choice of carpet looks similar to mine.

After our Spring Break trip, I will look at the front carpet and possibly the kitchen / driver area tile...
Old 02-26-2018, 11:49 AM   #13

"All of those fastening holes, WILL BE COVERED UP BY THE NEW CARPET!!! So, trying to find those holes under brand new carpet is all but impossible. So, by taking TWO DIMENSION measurements to any and all fasteners/screws etc. you have a really, really good idea where all the holes are UNDER THE NEW CARPET. That little precaution sure saved me hours of trying to probe the new carpet, looking for original holes so all my furniture could go back in the same spot. "

I predrill / cut the holes when the carpet is almost perfectly in place. Most holes can be a bit oversized because things like seat plates cover large areas. It's always easier to cut carpet from the backside. I then put some masking tape over the hole so as not to forget.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #14

The whole job, tear-out, new and or added tack strip, carpet and edge binding where needed, including install, $2,200.
Scott

Tags
carpet, itasca