Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2020, 09:09 PM   #1

05 Monaco Diplomat vs 06 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH

We have found 2 RVs we like but they are in opposition directions of each other. The 05 Diplomat is only 3 hours away and the Phaeton is 10 hours away one way.
Price difference is about $10000 difference.
05 has 71000 miles
06 has 43000
From the research I have done the Tiffin is a better unit? But need thoughts on it!
So any info on either unit would be great!
Wright1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I owned an 05 Monaco Diplomat and it was the best motor home I ever owned. I also looked at Tiffin Phaetons at that same time and found the Monaco to be much better built. What motor is in both coaches? The Monaco should have a 400 ISL, but some early production 2005's had an ISC.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When we bought our Monaco we debated between it and a Tiffin on the same lot. Both were 40' the Tiffin had a 350 isc and the Monaco a 400 isl. but the main difference for us was the Monaco had more overhead storage than the Tiffin and we liked the interior colors better.. So mainly it is a personal choice both are great coaches. Ask the dealers to email you photos of things you would like to see and if that coach looks appealing set up a plan to travel to see the coach in person..
If you wind up traveling the 10 hour direction make sure they will hold the coach for you to look at it maybe with a refundable credit card deposit or some other means.. I had dealer in Oregon City, Ore. sell a rv 30 minutes before I got there after traveling 9 hrs to inspect the rig, all I had was a verbal agreement from the manager, needless to say I was ticked.....
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:03 AM   #4

On the Tiffin, there are 3 things you need to look at to see if they have been fixed by Tiffin.
They had bad roof rails that would crack. Check the front driver side slide for a rotten floor. See if the wet bay has had the liner installed because they came with wood and would rot out.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you have not inspected either coach personally you are putting the cart before the horse.

Prior to buying our coach we literally looked at dozens of coaches. From the outside some looked great but the inside was a disappointment.

Do either of the coaches have maintenance records, a lot of times dealers will throw all of this away leaving potential buyers in limbo.

We bought our coach +10 hours a way but went and looked at it, stepped back and thought about the purchase and then made a deal via a phone call a week later. I then flew there to bring it home. FWIW it did not have any maintenance records but when I inspected I crawled over, under, through the entire rig and checked all systems.

I'd take the time to go see both coaches and then make a decision.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I owned an 05 Monaco Diplomat and it was the best motor home I ever owned. I also looked at Tiffin Phaetons at that same time and found the Monaco to be much better built. What motor is in both coaches? The Monaco should have a 400 ISL, but some early production 2005's had an ISC.
The 06 has a 350 Cat
and the 05 has a 400 HP in it not sure if its a ISL or ISC? What is the difference?
Old 03-11-2020, 07:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamebuster View Post
When we bought our Monaco we debated between it and a Tiffin on the same lot. Both were 40' the Tiffin had a 350 isc and the Monaco a 400 isl. but the main difference for us was the Monaco had more overhead storage than the Tiffin and we liked the interior colors better.. So mainly it is a personal choice both are great coaches. Ask the dealers to email you photos of things you would like to see and if that coach looks appealing set up a plan to travel to see the coach in person..
If you wind up traveling the 10 hour direction make sure they will hold the coach for you to look at it maybe with a refundable credit card deposit or some other means.. I had dealer in Oregon City, Ore. sell a rv 30 minutes before I got there after traveling 9 hrs to inspect the rig, all I had was a verbal agreement from the manager, needless to say I was ticked.....
What is the difference between an ISL and a ISC motor?

The Tiffin has 41000 miles on it and is on its 3rd owner (which is no biggie) and has all the Manuals, and he says all the service records. but the tires are 2012 Michelin's and the batteries haven't been replaced in years??? I know the tires are going to have to be replaced.

And the Monaco has all the manuals and service records. And it has new tires and batteries on it.
I have just read and heard that Tiffins are still in business and one of the best built one on the road.
My wife is interested in both of them. I was leaning more towards the Tiffin but not sure. I plan on having an RV inspector look at both of them before buying but I have been around RVs for almost all my life. And know how to do most of the mechanical stuff but now as familiar with Diesel like this!
Old 03-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wright1 View Post
What is the difference between an ISL and a ISC motor?

Both are Cummins engines. The ISC is 8.3 liter with up to 360 hp and 1050 ft lbs of torque. The ISL is 9 liter with up to 450 hp and 1250 ft lbs of torque. These are the maximum settings for these engines. Some come with lower hp and torque ratings. FWIW, 1250 ft lbs of torque is the maximum rating for the Allison six speed transmission that is in many motorhomes.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Some will argue, but the size/model of a the motor determines the quality level of a coach. The ISC was a popular motor until the ISL appeared on the market. The ISL is the best RV motor EVER made. It has been built in various HP configurations from 360 HP to 450 HP. It is currently the most popular motor used in large RV's.

If you test drive the two coaches, you'll see a huge advantage in the ISL 400 in the Monaco versus the smaller motor in the Phaeton.

As usual, floorplan and condition should be your biggest decision makers, but engine type and size should be right behind the floorplan and condition considerations. NOBODY ever complains they have too much horsepower.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Some will argue, but the size/model of a the motor determines the quality level of a coach. The ISC was a popular motor until the ISL appeared on the market. The ISL is the best RV motor EVER made. It has been built in various HP configurations from 360 HP to 450 HP. It is currently the most popular motor used in large RV's.

If you test drive the two coaches, you'll see a huge advantage in the ISL 400 in the Monaco versus the smaller motor in the Phaeton.

As usual, floorplan and condition should be your biggest decision makers, but engine type and size should be right behind the floorplan and condition considerations. NOBODY ever complains they have too much horsepower.
What he said X2.. I will add that installed options are considerations too..For example mine had a full length 2 way tray in lower bay, solar panel, elec. cord reel, elec hose reel. and sani con macerator as some options.
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, monaco diplomat, phaeton, tiffin