RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
05 vs 08 Monaco Dynasty

Thanks in advance for responding..
I am considering buying a 2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV with 25K miles. I have also seen a 2008 Dynasty with 86K miles. Both are 42 ft.. Should I be wary of the low mileage on the 05 or the relatively high mileage on the 08? I have heard of quality issues with the 08 due to company financial issues around that time? I am not sure yet what part of the model year the 08 was made or what engine it has. The 08 is on an S chassis, and I am waiting for more specific information from the dealer. As this is my first RV purchase I am grateful for any information and opinions you can give.
MBCEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2018, 01:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBCEMT View Post
I am considering buying a 2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV with 25K miles. I have also seen a 2008 Dynasty with 86K miles. Both are 42 ft.. Should I be wary of the low mileage on the 05 or the relatively high mileage on the 08? I have heard of quality issues with the 08 due to company financial issues around that time? I am not sure yet what part of the model year the 08 was made or what engine it has. The 08 is on an S chassis, and I am waiting for more specific information from the dealer. As this is my first RV purchase I am grateful for any information and opinions you can give.
Welcome to the forum!

My main concern on the '05 is not the number of miles but whether or not it has sat in storage for more than one year at a time. If it has, the generator (windings?) may be corroded. Main engine seals and some bushings may also be a problem. 86k miles on the '08 is nuttin'. In either case, get fluid analysis as part of your third-party inspection. A well-maintained Monaco Dynasty of that vintage is a great rig. My only hesitation with the '08 is that this is the era of the financial meltdown and most RV manufacturers were in big trouble. However, your inspector should discover any quality control issues.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Mileage in that range doesn't indicate you should be any more - or less - wary than any other RV purchase. Condition and state of maintenance is the key, not mileage.

The caution concerning a low mileage RV is simply that you should NOT assume that it is in good shape simply because the miles are low. Perform the same "due diligence" that you would do on any rig.

I personally like the '05 vintage Dynastys and would possibly take a longer look at the '08 because of the economic meltdown concerns. Without having any specific evidence, I'm inclined to believe the earlier years were built with a little more care.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBCEMT View Post

Either of these coaches should be excellent. Prior maintenance is the key and if records are available go over them in detail. Both are on the S Series chassis which is very strong. Both should have the same non DPF Cummins ISL. Many 08 miles were actually build in 07 which was 18 months to 2 years before the shut down.

Monaco purchased Cummins engines in large quantities & used 06 engines through their shutdown in 09. You should check the serial number of the engine in both coaches against this recall:

Defect Summary: CERTAIN ISL CUMMINS CM850 DIESEL ENGINES PRODUCED FOR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE APPLICATIONS BETWEEN OCTOBER 17, 2005, AND APRIL 18, 2006, WITH ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER RANGE FROM 46543077 TO 46603939. THE CONNECTING ROD CONTAINS A MACHINING DEFECT IN THE WRIST PIN BUSHING OF THE ROD THAT COULD CAUSE SEIZURE OF THE PISTON PIN.

Consequence Summary: IF ALLOWED TO PROGRESS, THIS COULD LEAD TO ENGINE FAILURE WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THE ROD RUPTURING THE BLOCK CAVITY. OIL AND DEBRIS ON THE ROADWAY COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks so much for the replies. As I am a new (prospective) owner, I do not know who/how to contact for an independent inspection. The vehicle is now at the dealers lot, and he has done his inspection and some maintenance and fluid/filters change etc. We were told this is a one owner coach and was stored in his heated warehouse when not being used. I am in North Carolina and would appreciate info on what type of inspector or company to contact, and what price range for an independent inspection? An independent inspection would give us a lot more piece of mind. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #6

We special ordered a 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft., Diamond IV, in Autumn Sunburst II that was put on the manufacturing line in January of 2007 taking delivery April of 2007. It had the DPF (diesel particulate filter) and never gave us a problem in 69,000 miles and 7.5 yrs.

The 2008 units came with the thin type larger TV's and several updates over the '07 and earlier models. It also had the larger Aqua Hot system installed offering two electric elements.

I don't think 86,000 miles is all that high for a 10 yr. old unit.

Safe travels,
Mark
Old 02-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't help with your decision but wanted to wish you well.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
thanks, and update

Thanks to all of you who helped me with my questions. I would like to give you an update on our purchase.
My wife, Liz, and I were considering an 05 Monaco Camelot 40' (which was her favorite), an 05 Monaco Dynasty 42', an 08 Monaco Dynasty 42'. We finally decided on the 05 Dynasty. I have to say that the two dealers we were looking at (the Camelot was at Lazy Days in Sefner FL, and Camping World in Statesville NC for the 05 Dynasty) were both great to deal with. As we were actually looking at both at the same time of course one of them did not get the sale. Liz is in Florida for a couple of months and the salesman she was dealing with was very understanding and remained supportive even after we decided against him. In fact she will be taking an RV driving class with them before I drive the Dynasty down to pick her up in mid-March.
Camping World was very helpful in the way of providing services, repairs, and information before the sale was final, and they are still doing all they can to help us.
We decided to pay for an independent inspector and hired a RVNIA inspector who is also in NC. He did a very thorough inspection (took over 6 hours) which included lab analysis of the major lubrication and cooling fluids. He found a few small but serious issues, and several minor things. The dealer agreed to repair everything that he noted.
Among the things that he found that we were not even aware of was the Norcold refrigerator recall which had not been done, and we found that this unit was not in the engine recall, and the recall for the AquaHot system had been done on this unit. All in all it was very much worth the hefty bag of coins that the inspection cost.
So, I am 'testing' the RV (read 'joy riding') every chance I get to become used to what it will do, and how I will handle it in preparation for the first long trip to get Liz in FL.
Your advice and assistance was very valuable to us in making this decision and I am certain that you have not heard the last of us. Looking forward to meeting you all online or on the road soon.

Mark and Liz

05 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42'
Old 03-01-2018, 06:08 AM   #9

Congratulations on your new coach.

Last year I purchased our '07 Tradition after having the house and chassis inspected by an independent company. There were a few chassis issues that the owner agreed to fix. If you haven't had the chassis inspected it may be wise to consider this.
In August we attended the Spartan owners class and they found some additional issues with the chassis which we had fixed.

I'm a DIYer for most of the house stuff but don't like doing chassis stuff. In an older coach house stuff seems to break rather regularly but the chassis stuff once up to snuff seems to stay that way.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, monaco dynasty