Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
most '07 models are on '06 chassis so pre def
DEF wasn't required until 2010...did you mean pre-DPF ( Diesel particulate filter)?
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Over 45,000 miles my ISX has averaged 7.6 mpg,
No disrespect intended Mr D, The focus of my posting was to focus on the fact that all those cummins models do not have the same reliability, as you have experienced first hand, nor do they have the same torque curve. I intend to have the OP do his own due diligence to compare the engines for historical problems related to those models. I have my opinion, which is based upon hours of reading through posts here and on trucker sites.

The history of cat diesels can be found by back posts, and the comment concerning the cat 15 came from a dialog with Damon Rapozo Gmail <damonrapozo@gmail.com> Aug 30 to me

'The C15 was a great engine, we used it briefly in 2004. The issues was it was a very thirsty engine, a very large engine so the rear wardrobe ended up being a rear shirt closet, and it is heavy'

I think Damon is very respected on these boards, so I passed on the info. If this is in error, then I was bad!

The OP stated it was a 4000 tranny, which has had a very good record. The comment concerning other cat tranny is very appreciated.

Again no disrespect intended,

kerry
Old 10-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I think these are all great coaches. You can't go wrong with any of these. Each has certain pros and cons.

I had a short list that included floor plans I liked. I made the choice based on what coach within my short list that I could get the best price.

Depending on who you buy from and where the price can vary by $40 to $50K.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #18

All good coaches. One comment is on the length. In some states, under 45' coaches do not require a different drivers license then what you'd use for a car.

I may have missed it, but I don't know if you ever validated that they're all Cummins? As mentioned, the Detroit is a respected engine.

Do get down to specifics on the engine, and post more info on the actual engine in each coach. This will allow more specific responses on that front.

I believe the Essex has Comfort Drive, which is a nice feature. That being said, I also believe Monaco chassis at that level of their pecking order of coaches - are some of the better handling, and more robust chassis in the RV industry...

Best of luck to you, and have fund shopping!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:45 PM   #19

In regard to the engine, my comment was "all have the same engine" was simply meant to mean that for comparisons sake, think of all these coaches having the same engine. I'm NOT downplaying the engine. Just working trying to make this "coach" comparison about the coach NOT the engine.

YES I do understand that the engine is a large part of this decision. But in THIS SPECIFIC comparison, I want the comments to be concerning:
1. The coach
2. The chassis
3. The quality
4. The value
5. The ride
6. NOT ABOUT THE ENGINE
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Essex will have Spartan or Freightliner chassis and welded aluminum superstructure like our Dutch Stars had.
The OP might want to add Country Coach to their "shopping list" as they also have a semi monocoque frame and welded steel superstructure.
And the 2007 EPA model year 600 & 650 hp ISX Cummins do have reliability problems that are known to Cummins, but they are not really owning up to it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:34 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Overall, I would think the most important thing is the floorplan, all things being equal.

All of them will ride great, drive great & have similar maintenance issues. They all will climb the hills within a few MPH of each other. Some of the 2007's have 2006 engines as mine does.

Freightliner has 24/7 phone support, does anyone else? Most support is Monday-Friday daytime only. Does this matter to you?

A report that a coach is in great condition means little. A item by item list has meaning. A pre-purchase inspection is essential, however I have my doubts that anyone could find many of the problems without living in it. These high end coaches have so many complex systems & parts. Just because the inspection shows no issues doesn't mean there aren't any.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
The 2007 Essex will has the Spartan K2, 500HP ISM, IFS, and Comfort Drive. It's essentially the same coach as my 07 Mountain Aire. They share most chassis and body parts. The Essex has more high end appointments and tuned to 50+ HP. It also has the E-plex system and mine does not. The ISM was one of the most reliable engines Cummins has ever built.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
The ISM was one of the most reliable engines Cummins has ever built.
Scotty, don't tell anyone, I'm shopping and I don't need the competition...
Old 10-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

The variety - and passion - of comments here make me chuckle. We are talking really minor detail differences among three excellent coaches. We probably all have our biases on specific points, like Cummins vs Cat or Roadmaster vs Spartan, but at the end of the day it's hard to pin down facts to justify claims about one or the other.

I also think that individual differences in the quality of the specific build and subsequent maintenance will have a greater effect than any tech spec differences. We see sometimes tremendous differences in two coaches of the same make & model, simply because they got built on different days. Each manufacturer builds their share of lemons, even in high end models like these. And some owners care lovingly for their rigs while others drive 'em and forget 'em. In a 10 year old coach, that's probably a much larger difference than whether is has an IFS or straight axle. How you figure that out on a used coach is another question, one with no easy answers.

Given that you say the main points are all pretty much equal in your eyes, I think I would list out all the features I could think of and rate each one on a scale of 1-10 and then add up the score. See if one seems to shine above the others. Or use my other main buying technique: if the technical stuff all seems a wash, buy the one my wife likes best.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #25

Quality of build and materials is pretty much a wash with these coaches in these years. (Going back older in the Beaver line, and I would give a nod to better cabinetry. But all of the years you mentioned, and models, IMO - will have the A game of cabinets and materials for that era coach.) So, it's condition used balanced against what you like as for as looks and layout.

Again on the chassis, in these quality of coaches, all good.

Monaco Roadmaster will have a more BMW like handling. Vs the Spartan, which still great handling, but will be a bit softer not quite as crisp in handling. As mentioned in my earlier post, the Comfort Drive on the Newmar line, does add nice feature for in shifting cross winds while driving down the road. But again, not near as dramatic an improvement between this level of Roadmaster suspension, as both will handle well in cross winds. Tag coaches, which these should all be, will add additional stability and higher CCC. While the Roadmaster coaches will handle very well, I suspect at the end of say an 8 hour day of driving in moderate to heavy cross winds, you will have less fatigue with the Comfort Drive coach.

So this brings you to again personal choices on what is important to you. Maximum handling capability for extreme handling conditions, say in an accident avoidance situation. That could lead you to the Roadmaster chassis coach. Just interested in the most comfort as possible from point "A" to "B"- the Newmar with Comfort Drive would be worth a test drive.

Please note, no input on engine!

All subject to opinion. And please note, I have not test driven the Essex line with Comfort Drive. I did drive a Mountain Aire with Spartan chassis. So my input is based upon reading the lore of other owners with Comfort Drive!

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #26

I faced a similar decision about 18 months ago. I am very happy to have landed in the Newmar camp. Newmar, Spartan, and Cummins provide very good support. Better still, there is a nice sized group of Essex owners working together to overcome a variety of upgrade issues.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:18 PM   #27

yes i did mean the P not the E.. just not onboard in that moment i guess. heck after 60 most dont reread for errors.. and i have read that some of the larger manufactures even bought enough for two years.. probably not the high end ones like asked about..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
DEF wasn't required until 2010...did you mean pre-DPF ( Diesel particulate filter)?
Old 10-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can only answer for the Newmar Essex.
2007 Brochure ---- Owners Guide ---- Information to get RECALLS, TSB's and repairs.
You can also get the build information by using this link by using the coach chassis Vin# or the coach build number which you will find on a kitchen cabinet door or in rear cloths closet.
Last link will tell everything installed in coach plus chassis. Enter information in the top right block.
Good luck in your choosing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote