Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2022, 10:03 PM   #1

06 ISL400 Antifreeze

I did a flush and fill 2 weeks ago immediately after I purchased this coach. It was getting hot pulling hills on the way home. I was getting over 220 leaving San Diego heading to Phoenix on the I8. That's a long steady climb but once I got it in the flats it ran about 185-200 the rest of the way.

1st thing I did was flush with distilled and refilled with Zerex G40. I also pulled the side panel and cleaned the condenser from the front and the radiator from the back. I've seen some ISL400's with a coolant filter that has additives. I don't believe my year engine has this filter. With the Zerex G40 do I need to add anything to the coolant? I'm learning as much as I can as fast as I can about these diesels. I know my way around engines pretty good but this is my 1st diesel coach.

I did a trip this past weekend to Glen Helen and back and temps seemed to be fine. It ran up to 213 once but I was running 64 up hill pulling my trailer. I usually don't run that hard up hill but I wanted to give it a test.

I'm going to be draining the system again this weekend as I found a few of not all hoses that need replaced. I just want to get this thing right. It's a beautiful coach but I think it's been neglected on the maintenance side. Engine feels real good just did a oil and filter change today and have the 2 fuel filters coming Saturday.
JoePit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2022, 10:44 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
If I read the specifications correctly g40 is for lighter duty trucks. You need to look at the heavy duty line for your ISL. the antifreeze needs to meet or exceed Cummins requirements. Something like Zerex Heavy Duty Extended Life.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 11:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Anthon View Post
If I read the specifications correctly g40 is for lighter duty trucks. You need to look at the heavy duty line for your ISL. the antifreeze needs to meet or exceed Cummins requirements. Something like Zerex Heavy Duty Extended Life.
Meets all required specifications and then some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220914-220025.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	376434  
Old 09-15-2022, 12:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Anthon View Post
Hmmm. Looks like I might be changing coolant again while replacing the hoses. Can anyone else verify if G40 good for my application or not? Based on the book this has everything that the engine calls for.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:13 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Joe. I used this link to look at the G40.

https://www.valvoline.com/en/zerex-g-40/

If you look at all of their offerings it was not included in the Heavy Duty section. If it meets the Cummins spec you are good. I just did this search above.

While you are at it I would consider looking at changing the water pump, belt tensioner and thermostat, it is very easy with the coolant out.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

220 does seem high, but be aware that you can expect temps in the 206-212 range when pulling long or steep grades and Cummins is good with that. My '04 ISL routinely hit 206+ on steep hills & hot days. The fan didn't even cut over to its highest speed until around 206. Both Cummins and Freightliner said "working as designed".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, free