Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2022, 08:51 PM   #1

06 Monaco (Cummins 400) Coolant change

I know this topic has been beat to death on here, BUT looking for opinions / insight on changing the coolant on my 06 Diplomat with a Cummins 400 ISL.

A little context. I just purchased the unit 6 months ago, the previous owner converted the coolant to a NOAT by fleet rite. I drove the MH cross country with no issue but getting ready to do the annual maintenance and I noticed in the records the coolant has not been flushed / changed in about 8 years (which exceeds the recommended 6 years on the bottle).

My Question - since I am NOT changing the coolant type can I skip the whole flushing process (distilled water 4 times over, etc) and just drain the current coolant in there and then replace with new pre-mixed coolant (same type / brand) to give it a refresh? I know there will still be some that I won’t get out of the front end hoses, etc. Also, if this is the route I go, will I still need to account for air in the lines? And how do I mitigate / work those out?

Thank you in advance!
716OutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2022, 06:17 AM   #2

That is what I would do. You might also send a sample out to be tested first - the current coolant may be fine.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:22 AM   #3

The problem with not flushing (at least the last one with distilled water before adding coolant concentrate to make 50% coolant) is that you have many gallons of coolant in the lines to the dash heater core, the heater core itself and if a motor-aid water heater to it as well.

So, yes, IMO, at least one rinse is needed or you will have a mixture of new and 8 year old coolant in there.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I did the flush in my 2005 Monaco Diplomat 400ISL, I warmed up the coach and drained the coolant. I then filled with tap water and drained again. I did one fill and flush and with distilled water.

When I refilled the system with coolant, I added to two gallons of OAT concentrate and then the rest was a 50/50 mix. This way I knew that any water left in the system was mixed with the concentrate. I used Final Charge.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
When I did the flush in my 2005 Monaco Diplomat 400ISL, I warmed up the coach and drained the coolant. I then filled with tap water and drained again. I did one fill and flush and with distilled water.

When I refilled the system with coolant, I added to two gallons of OAT concentrate and then the rest was a 50/50 mix. This way I knew that any water left in the system was mixed with the concentrate. I used Final Charge.

Yup.

Another way to insure the proper 50/50 mix is IF (OK, may be big IF) you know the total system capacity, after the final distilled water rinse, just add 50% of capacity in concentrate and top off with distilled water. Most accurate way IF you know the system capacity.

Note: system capacity is quite a lot more than what you just gravity drain because of lines from engine to front for the dash heater core and heater core itself.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:33 PM   #6

Thank you all for the quick replies! Very helpful, so last question, reading the book it says to (after flushing) fill with new coolant and leave the cap OFF and start the engine. I'm assuming this is to help work out the air pockets? How long should I let the engine run before replacing the cap?

Thank you again!
Old 11-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #7

Usually the cap loose until the thermostat opens for a while. Just monitor the level in the tank until it it's stable. Probably get flamed but.....These coolants say around 6 yrs 300k-600k miles use. I doubt a second flush is really necessary in MH use.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 01:33 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You may find after your first trip that it will take some more fluid. Sometimes it takes a little time to eliminate the air pockets.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 04:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'd draw a sample and have it tested - since it is OAT it may still be fine. Even if it tests ok, you could still drain the radiator and refill with 50/50 OAT. That would give you a refresh (partial fill).

Blackstone Labs, Fluid Life, etc can give it a thorough analysis.

[Don't bother to flame me - I'm impervious to it]
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:36 PM   #10

Well good news I tested the fluid and it looks pretty darn good on the strips but I noticed have a leak in the hose from the surge tank running down into the engine, so I guess I will be forced to drain now! Anyone have any advice on where to find a replacement hose? Generic at Napa or an automotive store?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2022, 05:13 AM   #11

I'm just guessing hose the to the tank is just off a roll and does not have special bent/formed kind. Any quality coolant hose should be okay. Gates green stripe is a higher quality. I know it's available in 1/2" I didn't look for smaller.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:34 AM   #12

AFAIK you cannot test OAT coolant with strips. I bought a cheap refractometer from Amazon and it works well. When I changed my coolant the first time I called Old World Industries. They make most antifreezes including Final Charge. I spoke with one of their engineers. He told me that there is no reason to change your coolant based on time in a motorhome. But he also stated that if you are worried just drain a gallon and add a fresh gallon of coolant. The
suggestion to send a sample for testing is a good idea.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 05:47 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I sent my coolant sample to JG Labs...they also do my annual transmission testing. They will furnish a detailed chemical analysis with a recommendation regarding changing.

http://www.jglubricantservices.com/
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:21 AM   #14

Thought I seen shared strips for OAT not sure if one size fits all chemical wise.

Tags
coolant, cummins, monaco