RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2018, 08:16 PM   #1

08 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Heater cable question & a few others

First
This is a new to us unit where I cannot get heat from the dash/floor vents.
When I rotate the temp dial and reach under the dash, I can feel the cable housing moving back and forth.
Is that supposed to happen or is the sheath supposed to be stationary and an inner cable move?
Also, I could not locate where it terminated under the dash. Any ideas?

On another note, we will be storing the rig until spring. Three of the 4 house batteries are shot (1 was replaced a few months ago by the previoius owner). What are your opinions - should I replace them now or wait til spring?
Also...
I'll be going every month to run the genny and start the engine. How long should they be run?
Should I park it with a full tank of diesel? What about fuel additives?
Thanks in advance
Ike, Sheila & Adam the aging fur kid
Ikeshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #2

There should be a blend door that moves back and forth and opens/closes heat/AC... this common door is usually run by either vacuum or an electric motor... if your coach is a diesel than it would have to have an external vacuum pump to run the blend door... Look to see of any of the doors on the heater system are run by vacuum or electric doors... in either case you will have to sort out the source.... and repair... I've seen cable systems open/close vents but usually have no basic controls on the heat/AC system...

Batteries are always replaced in sets.... batteries that are charged will winter and will not freeze unless the temperature drop in the -30 area... on the other hand.. batteries that are dead, are basically filed with water and will freeze when they get to 31* and bust apart... I personally would pull the batteries, put them in a warm dry space and replace them in the spring... your previous owner did you an injustice by replacing one... they need to be in a set...

If you have a metal fuel tank it needs to be full so that moisture with temperature change doesn't rust the inside of the tank... a plastic tank can sit with any amount of fuel... Its my opinion to start and run a unit ever 45-60 days.. you will need at least one house battery in the coach when you start the generator otherwise the inverter/converter will not function correctly without it... I would put both a chemical to prevent clouding of diesel in cold weather, as the fuel in the tank will not be blended for cold weather... I would also add a product to prevent algae....

After years of running fleet trucks I have a very different approach to winter and how to prevent problems over most of the people on this site... I did stuff to my trucks to protect them with basic simple tasks.. i'm sure you'll get lots of comments... best of luck...

As an example I don't believe starting and running a unit every month is an important issue... think of all the off road equipment that sits months on end, some of them with the same CAT/Cummins engines used in on the road trucks and RV's...
Old 11-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ike! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I agree with most of what jeleg said. If you do replace the batteries then I would plan to take it out for about a 30-minute drive once a month, running the generator with both A/C units on to load it. I'm not a mechanic but most folks say that just running the engine in place is not a good way to do it!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikeshel View Post
First
This is a new to us unit where I cannot get heat from the dash/floor vents.
When I rotate the temp dial and reach under the dash, I can feel the cable housing moving back and forth.
Is that supposed to happen or is the sheath supposed to be stationary and an inner cable move?
Also, I could not locate where it terminated under the dash. Any ideas?

On another note, we will be storing the rig until spring. Three of the 4 house batteries are shot (1 was replaced a few months ago by the previoius owner). What are your opinions - should I replace them now or wait til spring?
Also...
I'll be going every month to run the genny and start the engine. How long should they be run?
Should I park it with a full tank of diesel? What about fuel additives?
Thanks in advance
Ike, Sheila & Adam the aging fur kid
When it come fuel tanks, always keep them full and I use this in the fuel.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Diesel-Fu...80-06/16644702
Batteries===I would get all new, if you change one change them all.
Motor===It would be good to know if it is a Cat C-7 Cat C-9 or a Cummins no mater leave it alone. You will cause more damage starting it for 20 min.
Gen-set===Start every month, this will remove any moisture in the armature. Start run at idle for 5min then start turning on AC or heat pumps both sets. Run at high RPMs for about 30min then start turning them off one at a time. Idle for 5min turn off.
Will you be plugged into shore power to keep the batteries charged.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #5

It's a Cummins and unfortunately it will be in outside storage, not on shore power. I can take it out for a ride if needed, but will only do it when things are dry. No need to mess with salt and snow.
When my wife retires in about 16-18 months, I hope to only see snow in photos and TV. But for now, it will be parked in winter and taken on weekend trips next year.
Any tips and info is appreciated, especially since this is our first MH.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:39 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #7

Thanks for the help!!!

First - thanks to all who responded.
As for the heat... I now have to figure out how to take the dash apart to get to the rear of the control.
BUT.... I was able to track the cable under the dash (after scratching the shneet out of my hands) and discovered that the cable sheath end at the heater box was not in the clamp holding it in place and the end at the control had no clamp to hold it (Broken) so the entire sheath was moving when the dial was turned with no effect at the heater box.
At least now I moved the leaver at the heater box to give me warmth so my feet don't freeze when I drive.
You are all correct - Fleetwood does NOT give a lot of dash heat but warm air is better than outside temp air! Cannot wait til wife retires so I can move out of the Phila area!
Again - many thanks

Tags
cable, fleetwood, heat, heater