Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
10 degrees tonight

Hello everyone,

I have an 08 Revolution LE, it is going to get 10 F in the morning, will I be Ok or should I blow everything out, I plan on leaving the heaters on, we are going to use the coach in a few days.

Thanks Wes
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Short periods of cold weather is fine if you have the heat on. Living in northern Mich I have lots of experience. It temps are in the 40s - 50s during the day and dip to 20s over night is not a problem with no heat. It's when it gets below freezing over 24hrs that you better have the heat on. Pipes will freeze way before a tank of water. If ever in doubt, winterize or run the heat.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

At 10 degrees things start getting risky.

Turn your water heater on for an hour to heat up the tank, then shut it off. That will keep the water heater ok overnight.

Put a 75-100w light bulb in the bay where the water lines come in/out. Maybe a piece of carpet in the bottom to help insulate a bit. There is water just on the other side of those valves and inlets, and several hours below freezing may be enough to freeze one up.

Leave the fridge on, sop that it's cooling unit generates heat to keep the ice maker water line & valve from freezing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks everyone

I went ahead a blew the lines and dumped the water heater, I would not have slept knowing it could have froze . wasn't to bad maybe an hour and half. Had most of the tools already out we had been up blowing out my buddies cabin.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Are you going to leave the heat on? The reason I ask is because if by blowing out the lines you have decided to turn the heat off, you might be at more risk of freezing something then if you had simply left the heat on without blowing the lines.

You may already know this but if not done properly, some droplets of water left in the lines can gather in elbows and freeze. Thats why I prefer to use the pink stuff.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Georgetown,

I left the heat on last night, in the future I was hope to just blow the lines, pink the gray and black stuff and the washer and shut it down, I really didn't want to put the pink in my water lines, I have a small Bumper pull I have always done this way with no problems even down to -18. Does any one else do just this?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #7

Our previous MH was a Fleetwood Revolution, so we have some experience with them in pretty cold weather here in Missouri. The basement heat is ok, but for some reason the water pump is vulnerable even when you drain and blow out the lines. The residual water probably drains back to that low point. Remove the lines on either side of the pump and leave disconnected. Easy job and may save the pump. Draining the water heater is ok but the lines going in and out need to be completely purged. Blow them, after draining the heater and leave the heater drain open. We froze a line after draining the heater once. The ice maker line needs attention as mentioned above. Refrigerator will not protect it much. Either purge it or heat strip it. It will be cold tonight, so good luck.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #8

I agree with vraines about the ice maker being your primary issue. It has very small lines nad if it freezed up near where the valve is coming into the freezer, you will have a small persistant leak that can be a major pita.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I left the heat on last night, in the future I was hope to just blow the lines, pink the gray and black stuff and the washer and shut it down, I really didn't want to put the pink in my water lines, I have a small Bumper pull I have always done this way with no problems even down to -18. Does any one else do just this?
So you could blow the lines then instead of pouring pink stuff down the drains, let the pump suck it through the lines and then down the drains. Can get away with the same amount of pink stuff. Probably just one jug and then you are guaranteed that your pump and anything else is fully protected. I know some people do use air only with success.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Everyone, after blowing the lines I did notice there was water still in the pump, and I unhooked the ice maker line and let it blow too. I also did the washer, So I hope I got it all. We are going to use it off and on during the winter and really didn't want to put the pink stuff in.

Thanks Again
Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #11

I understand about the pink stuff. We used it once a few years back and had to flush the system several times using a vinegar solution to,get the taste out of the water. Guess that is better than frozen pipes, but no more pink stuff for us. Also, if you have a water filter under your sink, drain it also.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Was at an RV dealership yesterday talking to an RV tech. With the hundreds of RVs sitting on the lot I asked how they winterize them. He said they use the pink stuff because you can never ever get all the water out. He said there are to many turns and pipes that run up and down and around corners.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
So you could blow the lines then instead of pouring pink stuff down the drains, let the pump suck it through the lines and then down the drains. Can get away with the same amount of pink stuff. Probably just one jug and then you are guaranteed that your pump and anything else is fully protected. I know some people do use air only with success.
For 10 Wisconsin winters I have ONLY GRAVITY DRAINED my fresh water system, (which includes a 10 gal WH, a Splendide washer and a stand alone ice maker)..... with success!
I have never used air and have used RV anit-freeze ONLY in the Splendide washer pump and in the p-traps.
IMO, frozen water droplets, (and even freezing standing water in pipes, especially PEX pipes), causes no damage, unless there is nowhere for the frozen water, (aka ice), to expand into.
My coach has survived numerous -20 degree F, (aka 20 degrees below zero), nights.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #14

I have tried to blow my lines out but was never able to get ALL the water out. I have found a full proof way to keep anything from freezing. Prior to the weather turning to cold...head far enough south that it doesn't freeze and don't come back till winter is over! Works well for us :-D.