Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2006, 07:11 AM   #1

I saw a reference in a recent post that Michelin has gone to a 10 year warranty. Their website still shows 5 years for motorhome use. Anybody have any further info to confirm or discount the 10 year thing?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2006, 07:11 AM   #2

I saw a reference in a recent post that Michelin has gone to a 10 year warranty. Their website still shows 5 years for motorhome use. Anybody have any further info to confirm or discount the 10 year thing?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:59 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I had that conversation with a Michelin dealer about 6 weeks ago and came away with the understanding that the new guarantee is 7 years. I replaced two Michelins with Continentals. The following document on the Michelin website ( http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...e_Warranty.pdf ) indicates that the warranty period on some long haul truck tires has been extended to 7 years. It lists most XZ and XD series tires. It does not say anything about warranty extensions on other Michelin tires. In the RV section, the only reference it makes to 10 years is that ALL tires on the ground or on a spare should be replaced at 10 years of age.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After we bought our RV, I started doing serious research on tires. A month later, I replaced all 6 of ours. The MH was a 2000 model (tires were 1999 vintage) and we purchased it in January, 2004.

After hearing about the zipper blow outs, I carefully inspected our old tires and found checking on the sidewalls of all 4 outside tires (not the inside ones). I knew that the MH had sat for over a year (and maybe even 6 months longer than that). I was unwilling to take the risk that the checking that I found would result in a blowout.

I don't believe that Michelin or anyone else can truly predict the life of their tires because the use of those tires is so widely varied. They might give you guidelines for that life but:
1. Tires that are improperly sized for their loads will fail very prematurely. Some manufacturers apparently put tires only that could only marginally handle the individual wheel loads they had. Weighing individual wheels is the only way to know for sure.
2. Improperly inflated tires will fail very prematurely. The stories of blow outs while MHs are in storage are probably a combination of improper loading and improper inflation. I strongly believe that once a tire is run significantly under inflated, it's longevity is compromised, even if it is never under inflated again.
3. UV damage can compromise the sidewalls. I spoke with Michelin on this subject. I had sent them a registered letter after purchasing my tires and finding out about more problems with that particular model and size. They recommend covering the tires when not in use for long periods of time.
4. Moisture can significantly compromise tire life. Moisture is normally dispelled when tires are run at operating temperatures. When tires sit for long periods of time (as ours had for over a year), they collect moisture which rusts the steel belts, compromising the sidewalls.
5. Tires are run into curbs and obstructions. The steel belts can be damaged by heavy contact and those belts will bend and break prematurely.

I wanted to know every minute of our tire's history as a way of ensuring their long life. Even with the care that I'm giving them, I'm planning to replace them at 6 years. We do run our coach about every two weeks normally but there are times when it sits for longer periods and I just don't think I can keep the moisture out of the tires well enough to risk running them longer than 6 years.
I also replace engine belts sooner than most but I've never had one fail. 10 years from now, I want to be able to say the same thing about our RV tires. I hope we are that lucky.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Michelin has recently gone to a ten year replacement recommendation (not warranty). This is for Michelin tires that came on a new vehicle. Michelin has a sidewall template to assist owners in checking the sidewalls. If tread and sidewalls are okay, not to exceed ten years is now the Michelin replacement recommendation.

Michelin documented this recommendation in their manual titled Michelin RV Tires, document number MWL42739, dated 06/06. You can order a manual by calling 800-677-3322, option #2.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:29 AM   #6

Regardless of the reccomendation, especially if you live in the Southern States, 6 years will still be most prudent replacement max. It would not be reasonable to try and push things to ten years considering what you are risking.

I have seen spare tires that are hanging on the rack and have never seen use or direct sunlight falling in shreds after 10 years here in the Tampa Bay area so I would not take a chance on the tires that keep my 10 plus tons on the road.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:06 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I know that Michelin has a good tire but 10 years? I'm a little nutzy but I don't think I'm that nuts.I'm going to order the tech bulletin and read this one.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:07 PM   #8

Why doesn't Michelin just go to a lifetime warranty?
Ever try to get a warranty adjustment out of them! I've blown 4 of their tires and they were all my fault!
I run Crossflows so I always know the pressure just by looking.They were always covered when not on the road. I was within load ratings on all four corners, in fact less than 400 lb difference.
They said it was those darn butterflies I ran over so they used the old road hazard excuse.
Thank goodness for Goodyear!
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote