Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #43

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Problem for me will be if someone knows CC went out of business in 2010.
No Prob.. You bought "NOS"...(New Old Stock)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
I have seen signs at some campgrounds essentially saying that exceptions to the 10 year rule is up to the discretion of the management. And we have seen some much older perfectly restored rigs in these campgrounds.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #45

If something rolled in that looked like the previous poster put up I would move to another RV Park with or without a refund ha ha
chef 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Oil Guy View Post
The advice most will give is that if your RV is attractive and well kept, you will not have much to worry about. This is not necessarily true! Mission Bay Resort in San Diego requires you to show them your registration... AND since it's a city run park, they don't have any latitude to make exceptions. Typical of most "government" operations, they operate on a system of "check boxes", and if that box isn't checked, you don't get to stay!

So, it doesn't hurt to let them know instead of making reservations and showing up, only to be turned around! It's always best to meet those kind of rules head on, instead of thinking you're going to be accepted due to a pristine coach.
I forgot to mention that Mission Bay doesn't have a 10 yr rule.... they have a 15 yr rule instead. I'll go back and stay with them when they go to a 22 yr rule..
Old 02-27-2018, 07:47 AM   #47

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
Having read many of the posts on this thread, my first comment is that I am relatively new to RV'ing and was unaware of a 10 year rule, so its good to know its out there and something that may be worth asking or confirming.

My rig is a 2001, so i am out of date so to speak. I spent 50+ hrs on my rig this winter, compounding and waxing the gel cote. I have replaced fogged windows, did an LED light conversion, replaced my slide toppers and fixed anything that was in need of repair. I would hope that they would have plenty of exceptions to the rule, because age is not the issue its the appearance.
Keep in mind that this foolish rule is so far and few in between, that many have been on the road for years, without ever encountering it and many more, never will.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:03 AM   #48

Our motorhome is well over the 10 year rule.

Personally seems like a pointless rule to me.

I have meet people in some dumpy looking rv's that travel the country and some of the nicest people i have ever meet. I have also meet the same people in million dollar coaches.

On the reverse of this i have meet some of worst people in these same units.

I personally could careless what someone unit looks like as long as it is not in my space dumping water sewage or junk in my space or puffing out smoke and fuel in my space.

I rarely pay attention to what people have nor do i really care. But that his me

I would think if you want to control who comes in a park that is pretty simple one the price make it cost prohibitive and secondly clause"we reserve the right to refuse a campsite for any reason"

Secondly on monthly stays nearly every place we have looked at and thought we might like to visit long term they always say you need a credit check money etc... before we will rent to you. I own many rental properties and we do the same. Nothing unusual about that.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #49

When we attended a family reunion a couple of years ago my wife attempted to make reservation at Mission Bay and was told our MH was too old. So she emailed a picture of our '94 Winnebago Brave to them and they replied it was acceptable.
When arrived, there was an old Bounty at a campsite that was IMO pretty raggety .
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #50

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have encountered several of these parks. From my experience, most all of the parks that are owned property resorts have this clause. In many cases the lots are actually owned and are rented out at the owners discretion. The reasoning is that they are trying to keep the park looking nice. people who own very expensive motorhomes sometimes do not want to park next to folks with older units which may not have been well loved.... While I have a newer (2016) unit I often ask if their policy is firm. Each has suggested that if the unit is very well maintained they do have exceptions. (some of the lot owner units are older than 10 years).

I can see both sides of the issue. I can see why a person with a 500k house would not want to build in the middle of a trailer park..... ( I have seen nice trailer parks too)

Just like some neighborhoods have HOA's....

To each his own....
Steve70605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #51

The 10 yr. rule has been a very big issue in the Prevost community. A 10 yr. old Prevost, depending on the converter, can range from $550,000-$800,000.

In most cases, a 15 yr. old Prevost can easily appear to be only 4 or 5 yrs. old unless you are very aware of the minor style changes. Many in the Prevost Community have blacklisted the parks that have that rule (mainly for Prevost rallies).

I understand the rule as a guideline to keep out worn-out RV's, all rules should have an exception. To me, 15 yrs. would be a good age to start a restriction (for visual).

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
The rule has been changed.

All rigs must show 'pride of ownership'.

No matter the age.
tompn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #53

So...

The x-year rule is the most fair and non-subjective way to do it (if any). Although many folks have outlined the flaws in this, having exceptions due to appearance is subjective and can be problematic.

Granting exceptions due to appearance have the following issues:
1. It is subjective.
2. In cases where a rig is obviously very nice or obviously very trashy, the choice is simple... however there is a lot of middle ground that can get you into trouble.
3. If you don’t have your decision making process well documented, you could open yourself up to litigation because someone could argue you are using illegal criteria to base your decision. For example: if you let a trashier rig, owned by white folks, in ... but you denied a nicer rig owned by non-white folks.
4. If you aren’t 100% consistent with your subjective criteria, you are putting yourself at risk (see item 3).

Have a x-year rule is the safer and easy way out. Everyone of course can see the problems with that.

To me, a x-year rule is easier to swallow than some yahoo basing his inspection on the wind direction.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
We have just crossed the 10 year threshold and we still have people that think our MADP is almost new. I'm sure I could get away with it for a few more years unless they check the title. Bottom line, it is a property owner rights issue. Until the Feds make "age of an RV" a form of discrimination, it is perfectly legal. We as free citizens have the right to spend our money elsewhere.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #55

Forest River Owners Club
Been RVing over 40 yrs and have yet to run into a 10yr rule at any CG/Resort we've stayed at....

Did stay at Grizzly RV Resort in West Yellowstone where they only allowed Class A's in.... Super CG but u did "pay to stay"....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #56

Yes I have seen the 10 year rule at some Rv Park, I got a letter from coach support. It states that this 2001 Dutch Star is a trained assigned Support Coach .Very much like the support animals I now see on flights. I have not used it yet but keep it close at hand.

Seriously some of those same parks Ive pulled in and see the junkman living the dream. Maybe a wood door held on with a bungee cord and flat tires and I'm worried because my 15 year old coach has lost the Gel coat battle. I keep it clean it just won't shine.
valland is offline   Reply With Quote