Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you don't mind used (we think it is the only way to go) I (as many others) recommend a good DP. There are many reasons. The only caveat is that of your exit strategy... It is somewhat difficult to sell an RV older that 10 years. The reason has to do with a bunch of factors, but the most common one is that many lending institutions won't lend money on an RV older than 10 years.

We decided that we didn't really care and bought a 2006 Tiffin Phaeton about 5 years ago. Yes it is now older than 10 years, but we don't plan to sell.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2017, 08:57 PM   #44

I too had your budget and dilemma. I looked at dp and gas rigs. My decision was driven by size and floor plan. I chose a Fleetwood bounder 33c. Just because it fit my needs and budget. I also like the insurance rates (progressive) and warranty (good sam) for a 2014 rig.

I know it's gas and I am good with that. I used to drive diesal trucks in the army. So I understand the difference.

My advice is look at floor plans/size and you will find an rv that fits your needs.
James242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/199...THER-120340037

This is not my bus (I have NO interest in it) but is similar to mine (mine is a year newer). 39k negotiable?!! Lot of bang for the buck here! Imagine having 60k budgeted for repairs lol..you could drive it forever.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #46

Hello all;

There are to many good things in this forum and the reading of it all on this subject may keep you up late, lol.

Gas verses DP. Hmmm. Tell you what my wife and i did. Find a DP that fancies you. Tell the salesman to give you a few minutes - sit down in it? As you set there, Looking at it, smelling it, thinking of the two of you in it, is the first thing that comes to mind....is it gas? DP?

My wife and I over the years have looked, read, been in, and shopped around. To date...we've found a few, but, are still looking. Get it with everything, top of the line? Or, find one a little cheaper...add a little blood, sweat and tears...and have a real gem - because you did it?

You can look till hell freezes a 1/4" thick. But, in the end...when you find the one you want...it will be prefect, whether gas or dp. There are advantages to both. Part of the fun, is the experience in merely getting there. Realizing that when your going down the road, in whatever you pick, someone is going to look at you - and wish it was them.

Whatever you pick, grab each other's hand, hold on - because its a ride you'll enjoy..whatever you pick.

Best Of Luck On The Road...Lois & Tex
TEXASxTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirko View Post
If you don't mind used (we think it is the only way to go) I (as many others) recommend a good DP. There are many reasons. The only caveat is that of your exit strategy... It is somewhat difficult to sell an RV older that 10 years. The reason has to do with a bunch of factors, but the most common one is that many lending institutions won't lend money on an RV older than 10 years.

We decided that we didn't really care and bought a 2006 Tiffin Phaeton about 5 years ago. Yes it is now older than 10 years, but we don't plan to sell.
This is much the reason I bought my 2002 Trek last year (I was shopping for a Trek models years between 2002-2005 models, and this one was in the right condition, with the right upgrades at the right price for me). While I have no intention of selling it, this is our first class A and by buying one of this age as long as it is well maintained I don't expect it to depreciate by much over the next 5 or so years. I know of one that was 5 years older than mine with the 7.4 vs 8.1 engine (40 less HP) that sold the same week I bought mine for $5,000 less than I paid to the first person that looked at it.

One conclusion that I have drawn is that while I think I made a good choice and this is the right type of motorhome for us now, I can see that it may not be ideal in years to come, for one thing if we were to ever travel full time I would want more cargo capacity, but for 2-3 weeks on the road at a time I think it is about ideal for us.

p.s. while I only spent about $20,000 buying my Trek, one thing I did not fully account for was the ongoing cost of ownership, thus far I am averaging about $750-$900 per month in maintenance and upgrades, plus about $75 per month for insurance regardless if it is used or not, all of which does not factor in long term wear items like batteries and tires. Hopefully the rate of this expenditure will slow down now that I am getting things closer to the way I want them, unfortunately I know I have at least another couple of thousand dollars to go before I get there. If I continue at this rate I expect to spend close to $10,000 on the RV this year, not counting travel expenses, fuel, etc.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:57 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
I've had both gas and diesel class A motorhomes. I've been happiest in the diesels, for a lot of the standard reasons. We tried a tried a new gas coach in 2015 and it was a disaster. The previous diesel was expensive (MSRP $360,000) and tags and insurance in our state ran $7400/year. That's a lot of cash out for something we used a lot, but not enough to justify the expense.

After the 2015 gas rig and another, we decided to go back to a diesel. For under $100,000 we bought a 2008 Tuscany 4076 and are very happy with it. The quiet, comfortable ride and the excellent floor plan suit us to a 'T'. It's rated to tow 10,000# so our Grand Cherokee is nothing back there.

We're in AZ and our insurance runs under $100/month with this coach. As I recall, we're paying about $1000/year for insurance. AZ bases the tags on MSRP, depreciated over time. I believe we're paying under $800/year for tags. That's a lot better than $7400!

Tags
class a, gas