Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #15

Until recently Maryland did not permit motorhomes over 40' long on its roads. My GPS still tells me my combined length is illegal in some states I drive through. Just behave out there and no one will trouble you.

FYI. In WV the width restriction is 8'6" on all roads except local roads with a lane width of less than 10', in which case it is 8'.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
Especially since there's only 6" difference between 102" and 96".
So I failed math
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:44 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfoot View Post
Especially since there's only 6" difference between 102" and 96".
X-2

Rail!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:20 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
40' limit in Maryland? Greyhound and most other tour buses are all 45' So are all the big coaches (Prevost) that music bands tour in. I can't speak as soundly on motorhomes as I can on commercial vehicles, but overall length is a thing of the past in regards to combinations. Back in the 1980's laws changed. Truck length was controlled by "overall length". 65' was the most common, hence the popularity of cabovers. Now, just trailers are measured and most places, except NYC, have a 53' limit with no overall length limit. That's why long conventional tractors (hoods) are so commonplace.
Augerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Normally the width is not a problem except on some state roads in VA that are 14-15 feet wide. Yes that is 7 foot per lane. I am 96 inches and slapped mirrors with semi going opposite direction at 55 mph. Scared the poop out of me! Hard to drive w/o rear view mirror!
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerboy View Post
40' limit in Maryland? Greyhound and most other tour buses are all 45' So are all the big coaches (Prevost) that music bands tour in. I can't speak as soundly on motorhomes as I can on commercial vehicles, but overall length is a thing of the past in regards to combinations. Back in the 1980's laws changed. Truck length was controlled by "overall length". 65' was the most common, hence the popularity of cabovers. Now, just trailers are measured and most places, except NYC, have a 53' limit with no overall length limit. That's why long conventional tractors (hoods) are so commonplace.
Confusing isn't it. It is not true that combination length restriction is a thing of the past, not in WV anyway. Interesting that a motorhome can be longer than a truck. Here is the actual wording from the WV Code :
" A motor vehicle, including any load thereon, may not exceed a length of forty feet extreme overall dimension, inclusive of front and rear bumpers: Provided, That a motor home and a school bus may not exceed a length of forty-five feet, exclusive of front and rear bumpers."
I am not saying it makes sense!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:52 PM   #21
RHR

The only concern I have traveling some of the state routes in PA and WV is they are narrow, and alot of tree branches, etc to scrub the roof and upper side on if not careful.
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote