RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 11:36 PM   #29

I hot wired the generator fuel pump by running a fused wire from the DC input to the generator to the fuel pump. I would install the fuse when I wanted to run the generator and remove the fuse when I didn't need the generator.

With the fuse installed the generator ran and functioned normally. Of course this pretty much negates using the auto start function. Eventually, I located a wire inside the generator enclosure that was energized by 12VDC when the generator was running. I used this wire to energize a relay that switched 12VDC to the fuel pump. Problem solved without spending $$$$ for a new circuit board.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #30

I'd bet that's what it is. When you pull the board out and pull off the wire harness you'll see the 30-40 pins I mean. Vibrations make them loose contact. Next time it won't start or goes out you could wiggle it too and see if starts or stalls when running.
bc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I would not hesitate to change the fuel filter and while doing that be sure the hoses are not kinked.

Fuel filters seem to clog up far too quickly on these. The thing may be eventually starving for fuel. I suspect the fuel pumps heat up and fail prematurely due to lack of cooling fuel passing through. Excess fuel is routed back to the tank so a plugged filter would restrict that cooling effect.

If the generator starts up quickly after a shutdown it may be due to the primer pushing plenty of fuel into the system

Turns out your diagnosis was dead on. Even though it was acting Identical to Tom and Paula's 2011 Camelot's 12.5kw. It would shut down after awhile if it had to much load on it.
Tom finally got the mobile Onan Tech out to his who then changed out his circuit board after temporarily installing a different circuit board and it ran as should.

We tried the board on my coach and it was worse than with my circuit board. Although the symptains still seemed to be electrical. So after the tech checked some more electrical connections with no improvement cause it would now only run for a few minutes with about 50% load on it.

The Tech then wanted to test the fuel flow from the pump. The flow was weak and ironically the pump failed while we we're testing it.

After installing a new pump and fuel filter we we're able to run it for over an hour at 85-90% load without a hiccup or burp.

Hopefully this is the end of my problems. Just can't believe I've gone through 2 fuel pumps in 530 hours of use.

Guess I'll have to start carrying a spare fuel pump as well as a fuel filter
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #32
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Trap, do you exercise your generator every month? I think this fuel gums up those filters much quicker than a gas engine does.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #33

Quote:
Trap, do you exercise your generator every month? I think this fuel gums up those filters much quicker than a gas engine does.
Not according to Cummins.

Diesel — Diesel is a very stable fuel. If the recreational vehicle will be in

storage greater than six months, treat the entire fuel tank with a diesel

stabilizer. Run genset for two hours at 50 to 70 percent load. This process

will circulate the treated fuel through the entire fuel system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2018-01-26-11-04-50.png
Views:	29
Size:	506.7 KB
ID:	190101  
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I use the genny every month, typically we use it for a minimum of 2 nights dry camping every month. If for some reason we don't I will run it for a couple of hours under load each month. We average about 10 hours per month on the Gennie and have had the coach since new.

The coach is almost alway run for a minimum of 150 miles per month in the summer then we head south for the winter where we move at least once a month. We don't like to stay put in one spot for more than a month if at all possible.

I always top up the fuel after every trip and have been using Howe's additive in the fuel, although I am in the process of switching to OptiLube.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #35
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Not according to Cummins.

Diesel — Diesel is a very stable fuel. If the recreational vehicle will be in

storage greater than six months, treat the entire fuel tank with a diesel

stabilizer. Run genset for two hours at 50 to 70 percent load. This process

will circulate the treated fuel through the entire fuel system.
J

Sometimes "Experience" trumps the manual as we all know. For example. Pre-filling the fuel filters when my manual says not to. It won't start and if it does it will die shortly.

Just saying after following this type of thread for many years it appears fuel filters get plugged on these things and my guess it it puts a strain on the fuel pumps.

Might not be the fuel itself of course but algae might grow in those tiny fuel passages.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator