Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2018, 11:13 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question 110 power issues

I have a 2004, 32 Foot Bounder, I keep my RV connected to a 30Amp Shore Power so as to keep batteries charged, etc.
I hadn't been in it for about a month when I opened it yesterday. The first thing I noticed was that the stairs didn't open. In doing some testing I found that my converter wasn't working (burned out?) so that explained the dead batteries. In continuing to investigate I found that non of the 110 equipment was working. Refrigerator, air conditioning, lights, etc. However the 110 outlets work. I have checked all Breakers and Fuses with no issues.
I'm perplexed and not sure what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.
me_cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
all of those things either use 12 volts or need 12 volts to operate. No batteries or converter...no joy.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You need 12VDC for the control on most appliances. If the batteries are dead and the converter isn't working than they won't work

www.bestconverter.com
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #4

If its a 50 amp RV and your using a 50 to 30 amp adaptor, it could be bad.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

See if there's a tripped circuit breaker on the converter.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got 120vac going into the converter? Got 12vdc coming out? If no, got blown fuse or circuit breaker on converter? If no, likely bad converter.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
12VDC is the life blood of a coach. The A/C thermostat is 12VDC, fridge and hot water heater temperature controllers are 12VDC. With a failed converter and the dead batteries pretty much the coach is lifeless. You can get by without 120VAC but loose 12VDC and the coach shuts down.

The batteries may or may not recover but before you start looking at them see what might be the problem with the converter. Unplugged, breaker trip, fuses blown, disconnect solenoid failure,,,. If the converter isn't performing as designed sometimes they are repairable and sometimes the cost and time to repair is not worth it and a replacement is a better option. If the converter is the original then give it a respectful retirement ceremony and bring in a new one. 14 years faithful service while enduring winter cold, summer heat and countless bumps and bangs of road travel.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
12VDC is the life blood of a coach. The A/C thermostat is 12VDC, fridge and hot water heater temperature controllers are 12VDC. With a failed converter and the dead batteries pretty much the coach is lifeless. You can get by without 120VAC but loose 12VDC and the coach shuts down.

The batteries may or may not recover but before you start looking at them see what might be the problem with the converter. Unplugged, breaker trip, fuses blown, disconnect solenoid failure,,,. If the converter isn't performing as designed sometimes they are repairable and sometimes the cost and time to repair is not worth it and a replacement is a better option. If the converter is the original then give it a respectful retirement ceremony and bring in a new one. 14 years faithful service while enduring winter cold, summer heat and countless bumps and bangs of road travel.
Thanks for your response. It has put my mind at ease. I have ordered a new converter.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Thanks to all that responded. I have ordered a new converter.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:32 AM   #10

I think you need a new converter???????

Seriously, Keep us posted, please.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #11

As others have already said, even thou the fridge, A/C etc run on 110v the controllers/thermostat etc. need 12v to operate.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:48 AM   #12

Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:28 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_cooper View Post
Thanks for your response. It has put my mind at ease. I have ordered a new converter.
And to put your mind further at ease, even those of us who know enough about these machines to be dangerous have our own share of problems. My coach is in the driveway plugged into the house. During the summer I'll run the roof vent fans (12VDC) to help mitigate the heat (100+ by late afternoon). Went out to the coach yesterday and first thing I notice is the fans have stopped. Second, no lights. Water heater is off so I didn't try it and the potable water tank is empty so I didn't try the pump.

Batteries at 2VDC, not good and they are two weeks old. Found the outlet in the back of my AC breaker panel is a bit of a loose fit to the plug for the converter. A little wiggle and everything is back up but I don't trust the plug and will need to find a replacement. The batteries should recover but I suspect they now have something less than nine lives remaining.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs up Issue resolved

Just a follow up to say that the problem was resolved.
I ordered a new Power Converter installed it and everything is working properly.
I thought the microwave was blown but by removing the cover, I found a 20 amp fuse that was blown. Replaced the fuse and it too is working.
Many thanks to those who replied. It was very educational as I didn't know that most of the 120v appliances need 12v to work.

Tags
power