Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
The Dome light in most cars are wired hot to the light and ground through the switches. This makes it easy to use a self grounding switch in the door jams on the older vehicles. The Parking Brake warning light was also wired this way in several Plymouth's and Fords as well as my IHC Scout II. A lot of the newer cars use the ground wire for computer switches also.
Been there, done that. He is just stubborn and does not believe...
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
The Dome light in most cars are wired hot to the light and ground through the switches. This makes it easy to use a self grounding switch in the door jams on the older vehicles. The Parking Brake warning light was also wired this way in several Plymouth's and Fords as well as my IHC Scout II. A lot of the newer cars use the ground wire for computer switches also.
Thanks for the reply. I have looked up a dome light wiring diagram on the internet. It is exactly as described by you and others in the thread. I never knew they wired vehicles like this.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
I an interested, can you name a few? Not something like a "kill switch" that is a "short to ground".
Monaco uses some switches where the ground is in series to the switch and then others they use the hot. No rhyme or reason for which way when.

Monaco also decided to use the ground wire to activate brake lights. Sure made it more difficult to wire in a Prodigy Brake Controller. Had to install a separate relay to get a 12 VDC positive brake signal for the brake controller.

So never say never.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
Been there, done that. He is just stubborn and does not believe...
Nah, I am not stubborn. I just don't take things said or posted on these forums as gospel. On the contrary, I do believe. I saw a wiring diagram and am satisfied.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
Use a multimeter. It is right every time.
One of the old time tricks if you don't have a volt meter and you're in a pinch to find out which is the + is to stick both wires in a cut open potato. The + wire will foam. Who needs a volt meter anyway!!
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
So never say never.Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard you are correct. Yes, I was wrong. I stand corrected. I should have never said "never".

Life is about learning new things on a daily basis.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #49

Alright everybody, leave randco alone; we've beat him up enough.
And to think, this all started on page 1.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by randco

Nope, the NO Start switch and the NC Stop switch are wired in series to the coil of a relay. The NO set of contacts in the relay are wired in parallel to the NO Start switch.
Well look at a positive pulse input to continual positive latched output with SPST toggle switch to break ground, used in alarm circuits. A diode between the input and the positive output is all that is required to latch the circuit.
Just a FYI.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #51

BCooke,

Thanks for the additional information. In my 25+ years of working on packaging machinery with 24 vdc and 120 vac control circuits I had not seen an application where a circuit was switched between the load and ground.

After getting beat up and doing some research I find a lot of applications where the ground is switched. I can see the practical application as it applies to dome lights and various sensors in low voltage dc applications.

I also did some reading on other types of latching relays and was surpised to see the various other types that I was not aware of.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #52

There is no one smarter than all of us together.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #53

Texas Boomers Club
Late 2nd generation Dodge Ram trucks used switched ground circuitry to control the headlights, parking lights, etc. This caused all kinds of havoc for accessory manufacturers. See one such bulletin from a snowplow supplier HERE.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #54

Randco, no problem, as long as I keep my head........ I find I continue to learn also. It just takes more to convince me as the years go bye.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #55

Some old houses I worked on were switched on the neutral.Made it interesting sometimes.Turn off the switch and grab a wire thinking it was dead.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #56

Over head light in car. Lights in lower compartments. Car alarm switch. All have the ground switched.
JGrosman is offline   Reply With Quote