Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #15

Battery

Some MH when plugged into shore power do not charge chassis battery and only house battery and chassis battery only charges when engine is running and so when MH is just sitting the chassis battery may be used for memory to some part of engine like computer and radio or something.
Try running motor charge up battery and some way disconnect chassis battery
and see what happens and if that is what happens than put a battery discount
On the terminal.
Or have advance auto do a load test before wasting money on new battery and than find out the new battery is being drained and really need a shutoff chassis
switch.
Nick
seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I also agree with OldToolMaker. Shorted or dead cell will drain the battery quickly. His steps are solid.

To find a drain, remove the negative cable, hook a test light between the negative battery post and the cable. If the light comes on then there is a drain (which could be the computer or radio) and removing and replacing the fuses one at a time until the light goes out will show the draw.

I had an old Trans Am that had a car radio drain that would kill the battery in two weeks so I removed the neg term while it sat.

My current motorhome starting battery will get low after 6-7 weeks so I put a battery tender 10w solar charger on it and no more problems.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cteat149 View Post
I do have one on there. I assumed being plugged into shore would charge that battery along with the house batteries. (I guess not) so I kept it engaged.
If you have a cutoff directly on the hot terminal on your engine battery and the battery is dying after fully charging then your battery is toast. The "salesman switch" is only a partial cut off of your house batteries not your engine battery.

If your battery is dead and you are expecting the alternator to charge it back up, you have a lot of driving to do, plus its bad for your alternator. I picked up a pretty good charger that will do a higher amp charge and then trickle charge after. Don't skimp on chargers. My husband bought a cheap charger and stuck it on a bad battery and caused the acid to boil. A good charger would have caught the issue with the battery and shut of. All chargers when charging questionable batteries need to be checked often.

Its pretty common among MH manufacturers that the engine battery doesn't charge with the house batteries.

My engine battery only charges from the alternator. My house batteries get charged from everything including the little solar panel on the top.
My engine battery runs the steps and the levelers. If I'm in and out a lot or move the slides I have to be careful to plug in the charger to bring the batteries back up.

There are normal draws off the engine battery. Even sitting a good battery will drop below a safe level within a short time especially if its cold.

Tags
battery