Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #1

12Volt DC TV or AC

I was thinking about adding a basement TV to my rig. Anyone have any experiece/feedback with the new Jensen 12 volt DC TV's?? or should I go with the regular Jensen plug in model (AC)..
YoungDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #2

We use a regular electric 22" TV in the basement. DW likes to sit outside, watch TV, and do her counted cross stitch. I like it for football in the fall and softball in the spring.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
vizio led type. ac/inverter or find one that runs on 12v.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #4

I vote 120v with inverter. I replaced my anchor panasonic with a visio 26" that weighs 12lbs and draws only 44 watts . Just use a plug into 12v recepticle 400 watt inverter for tv and dvd player.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Why buy the expensive Jensen? I know they tout that they are designed for the rigors of RV use, but there are no reported problems using regular LCD or LED tvs in RVs.

Go with 120vac - you can always add a small inverter if you don't have one and need to use the tv when boondocking.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #6

From my experience the Jensen stuff is over priced and has very poor, if any at all factory support. Warranty what's that?
I tossed mine in the trash
As stated above a small inverter and a good Costco / Wally World
LED/LCD TV works great at a better price and better support
KJINTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club

This LCD I placed in our bedroom has a 120 adapter to 12V, I did use adapter but looked up wiring spec's and saw 12V power input.
So I guess you can use either.
Kids use to watch the TV when we were traveling in older RV could do same on this also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #8

Many TVs can use straight 12vdc.
Just look at the back of the operating display TVs @ Walmart, Sam's Club, Best Buy etc.
Don't ask the 19 year old "sales associate". You know more about most everything, including being 19 years old, (you were 19 for a WHOLE YEAR!).
Look for a power supply, (aka, power brick) in the cord that is plugged in the 120vac.
That power supply will have the required output voltage printed on it. (look for 12vdc, check the output polarity with the meter you brought with you to the store, or after you get it home.)
Get you a car cord that passes 12vdc through it, with a Cig lighter socket @ one end and a plug, (with the correct polarity), to fit the TV, on the other end.
Buy where you get the TV, or Radio Shack, for $20-$30, (OR rummage through the cord pile/bin at a Goodwill store and pay $2.99, or less).
My 19" Polaroid LCD has been working well for 4 years, (used 2-3 hrs daily 200 days a year).

BTW, I use a similar Goodwill cord to run my CPAP machine for 8 hrs every night for those 200 days. Saved $72 (Medicare will NOT pay for a 12v adapter.)

Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the rare occasions when I use a TV outdoors it is a 12 volt A very small 12 volt.

Thought: The best strength meter for use in finding the satellite for your SAT TV receiver is.. in fact, the receiver.. Dish Network's built in software meter is as good as commercial meters costing several hundreds (over 1,000) dollars. Direc, though not as good, is still better than most (if not all) of the under $100 meters.

Get a "Jump start" battery,, And use said portable 12 volt TV at the Tripod site and...

you are golden.