Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2022, 10:02 AM   #1

$15,000 radiator replacement!!

I need to replace the radiator in our 2006 Holiday Rambler Navigator. The diesel service center reached out to REVRV to see if they have any available. The good news is REV does have a radiator but the cost is $15,000.

I asked the diesel repair shop if there was any other radiator replacement option. Since they are not a fabrication shop it seems they just want to bolt in the new unit and are not interested investigating any other options. I'm not bitter with the repair shop for not wanting to look at other options but this radiator seems excessively expensive.

If you happen to know of any other option, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you
-John
JMonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There are several threads on this forum on radiator replacement. They are expensive, but not $15k. Most folks are paying from $2k-4K for a replacement radiator.
Have they looked into repairing your radiator? That would be the cheapest option.

Call Radiator Supply house in Oregon.
https://radiatorsupplyhouse.com/page...-page?q=monaco

Also call these guys.
https://cgj.com/product-category/rad...onaco-radiator

Use the search engine on this forum and search in the Monaco section for radiators.
This thread is for a 2004 Navigator: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/nee...or-563738.html

Make sure they check the CAC (charge air cooler) as its sandwiched in with the radiator and may also be damaged.
Good luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:27 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You might try some of the RV salvage yards also.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Back in 2015 I had road debris take out my radiator. Both the Cummins shop and I tried to source a replacement. Prices ranged from ~$7k down to ~$2650.

I ended up buying one from CG&J and initially I was thrilled the delivery was fast, price was great, and it was an exact fit. Took one ~5K trip in the fall and then the rig was seldom used until last year.
Another Windsor owner also had to replace his and went with CG&J. Only after ~4 year he had a leak in his and used Irontite to seal.

Then last year after a trip I noticed antifreeze seeping out of mine so I used Irontite to seal!

Then last year on my trip (first big trip in the summer I saw high transmission temps, and I also remembered I had a high temp back in 2015 when I took that trip), so I started watching. Under good driving conditions the transmission temp were good but under any stress (hills, mountains, stuck in traffic) the temps would climb.

So I contacted CG&J to inquire as to how they sized the internal transmission cooler, they couldn't tell me. They did offer to sell me an auxiliary cooler for $750, even after I told them about the seep. Not a happy customer now.

So I went ahead and installed a separate fan driven transmission cooler which solved my problem with the high transmission temp.

So I would not recommend a CG&J radiator. You may save some $$ in the short term but in the long term you may have problems.

I believe Radiator Supply House provided radiators to Monaco, check with them.

Also, I'd have your CAC checked while you have everything apart, mine was bad and had to be replaced.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:29 AM   #5

I don't think they want to change your radiator. I'd look for a shop that does and will have it recored. That bolts in the same as a new one.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonaco View Post
I need to replace the radiator in our 2006 Holiday Rambler Navigator. The diesel service center reached out to REVRV to see if they have any available. The good news is REV does have a radiator but the cost is $15,000.

I asked the diesel repair shop if there was any other radiator replacement option. Since they are not a fabrication shop it seems they just want to bolt in the new unit and are not interested investigating any other options. I'm not bitter with the repair shop for not wanting to look at other options but this radiator seems excessively expensive.

If you happen to know of any other option, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you
-John
WOWWWWW!
$15,000 for a radiator????????? What are you driving, a Terex Titan mine ore truck?????? Over 10 years ago, our rig, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, developed a radiator leak right after we purchased the coach. It's a long, long story but, I ended up yanking that radiator and CAC myself. The radiator, like many before it and after it, at least in Winne/Itasca diesel coaches, is/was an aluminum radiator with clamped on plastic tanks.

The local radiator shop said "impossible" to fix. I had already done research on finding an original replacement. $1,750 and it would take 3 weeks to get and that did not include shipping. He replied, "you don't want one of those" let's see what we can do. Within 2 minutes on his computer, he'd found a COPPER/BRASS exact replacement. He stated he could have it in the morning and, the cost, $1,200!!!!!!! I replied, "Do it". It was delivered at 07:30 the next morning.

The point is, there's got to be an alternative to a $15,000 radiator. Heck, I think my entire CAT C-7 330HP would cost less than that. I'd have to look into plan B, C, D.....
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
I don't think they want to change your radiator. I'd look for a shop that does and will have it recored. That bolts in the same as a new one.
Exactly. If you are capable of removing it yourself take it to a radiator shop.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:36 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Have you checked with the chassis manufacture for the radiator? I would think they are the ones that installed it.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Have you checked with the chassis manufacture for the radiator? I would think they are the ones that installed it.
Monaco Coach Corp manufactured both the chassis (Roadmaster) and the coach (Holiday Rambler). Monaco went through tough times in 2008 and was purchased by Navistar in 2009 and later sold to REV Group in 2013.

The OP has called REV Group and was quoted (indirectly) $15k to replace the radiator.

As is often the case in RV repair it requires the owner to become an active participant in the parts procurement and repair process. If not some these repair shops take advantage of RV owners. Another case in point is a dealer that quoted $50k to replace an engine.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:48 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
John....I went through this in 2011 with my 2005 Monaco Diplomat, rear radiator. Monaco was out of business, so nothing from them. Custom radiators were $3K to $4k back then. Luckily, I found a surplus company that bought up a lot of new/old stock and got the entire assembly, radiator, CAC, shroud and trans cooler for $900.

With that said, I found that the one of the few places who would build one were in Sacramento. It's been too long to remember the shop name, but you might check. Sacramento has a large truck repair community.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:05 PM   #11

This place re-cored member Rightstuffer rad and CAC for 2k total. He said to let them know where you found info reference IRV2 that's is.
https://www.normanradiators.com/
I know it's Texas you could literally take a vacation on money saved.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:02 PM   #12

Vito, thanks you very much for the links and information. I'll be placing calls to these shops tomorrow.

-John
Old 08-03-2022, 08:05 PM   #13

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'll call the Radiator Supply House to see if they can help.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:10 PM   #14

Hi ArtJoyce, $15K is the price we were quoted from RevRV. RevRV, as I understand purchased Monaco and Holiday Rambler's inventory. I'm hoping to find a shop that can provide an alternative replacement as the original is outrageous.

Tags
ace, radiator, replace, replacement