Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 208
$150k to spend - 2 years old vs 10 years old..

Going from a Thor Outlaw (gas) to a DP, I am looking to spend about $150k
I might go high as $200k if I find something that is over the time spectacular but $150k is comfortable.

I'd rather let someone else take a nice slice of depreciation off the top go with something that is used.

But how used?

MSRP for a 2015 model might have been around $225k
MSRP for a 2010 model might have been around $450k

So with my budget, would you rather own a $450k rig that is 8 years old
or a newer RV that started out around $225k

In either case I'd bee looking for low miles with the firm understanding that I'd have to do SOME work to get them..

I'd love some input.
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mcdonough, Ga.
Posts: 5,576
My first motorhome was a 1972 Open Road. In five years I replaced one thermocouple. Everything was manual on the coach. The more bells and whistles there are, the more to go wrong. Not knocking fancy, just making a statement.
__________________
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2014 Honda CRV toad
32 years mechanic at Delta Air Lines 15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 24,353
I would go older to get a more upscale model. It's not just the amenities or snob appeal - they are generally built better, with a more capable chassis, quality flooring and upholstery and paint job, and lots of improved details behind the covers.


$150k will get you a solid American Coach, Newmar Essex, Tiffin Allegro Bus, or Winnie Tour, just a few years older than the lesser brands.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition and several other RVs
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I would go older to get a more upscale model. It's not just the amenities or snob appeal - they are generally built better, with a more capable chassis, quality flooring and upholstery and paint job, and lots of improved details behind the covers.


$150k will get you a solid American Coach, Newmar Essex, Tiffin Allegro Bus, or Winnie Tour, just a few years older than the lesser brands.
Thanks buddy.
You replied to one of my other threads a week or two ago.
Very helpful.

I appreciate it!!

Would you say that there is a noticeable difference jumping between $150k to 200k when looking at last decades RV's?
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Blairsville, GA & WPB, FL
Posts: 3,993
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Why did you leave off the 32-34’ limit in this post? Makes a “big” difference in what might meet your requirements. I would not chip a ISL as it’s at the max for a 3000/3200 Allison...not that rigs that small will have one.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Mark D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 715
No doubt go with an older higher cost unit. 5 to 7 years old is when the depreciation slows down dramatically.

It will most l likely have a stronger chassis, better finishing inside etc.

We moved from a midrange to an upper range Coach. The new one has real cherry cabinets with real plywood boxes. I have yet to find pressboard anywhere. The basement is fully heated, its quiet when parked and driving.

I think for the 150 to 200 you can get a nice motorhome. Don't spend your whole budget on one. Hold back 20k to do updates repairs etc.

When we were shopping last year we were looking for an older Marathon / Prevost. The plan was buy an older cosmetically worn out unit then have it rebuilt at the factory. The issues with that plan is that Prevost based units have tighter floorplans due to the lack of or smaller slides. Yes they are high quality builds but but when parked we wanted several things in the floor plan.
__________________
2011 American Coach, American Eagle 45B with 650hp ISX on a Liberty Chassis K3 with two Vizsla's and two cats.....
Mark D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
Thanks buddy.
You replied to one of my other threads a week or two ago.
Very helpful.

I appreciate it!!

Would you say that there is a noticeable difference jumping between $150k to 200k when looking at last decades RV's?
I suppose I could have but I just posted up another thread a minute later that had the specific details of what I am looking for.
Wanted to keep the posts from having too much crossover, but I can see what you mean.

Tried editing.. Permission not allowed..
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
Going from a Thor Outlaw (gas) to a DP, I am looking to spend about $150k on something with a length at or under under 34'

I might go high as $200k if I find something that is over the time spectacular but $150k is comfortable.

I'd rather let someone else take a nice slice of depreciation off the top go with something that is used.

But how used?

MSRP for a 2015 model might have been around $225k
MSRP for a 2010 model might have been around $450k

So with my budget, would you rather own a $450k rig that is 8 years old
or a newer RV that started out around $225k

In either case I'd be looking for low miles with the firm understanding that I'd have to do SOME work to get them..

I'd love some input.

PS.
For what it's worth, here is what we are looking for:

Requirements of rigs we are considering:

Class A Diesel pusher
32-34' (This is the kicker)
Cummins 8.9 ILS
Allison 3000 (though I'd take a 4k in a heart beat)
Air bag suspension
2 slide outs minimum (3 would be nice)
Sleeps 6
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
No doubt go with an older higher cost unit. 5 to 7 years old is when the depreciation slows down dramatically.

It will most l likely have a stronger chassis, better finishing inside etc.

We moved from a midrange to an upper range Coach. The new one has real cherry cabinets with real plywood boxes. I have yet to find pressboard anywhere. The basement is fully heated, its quiet when parked and driving.

I think for the 150 to 200 you can get a nice motorhome. Don't spend your whole budget on one. Hold back 20k to do updates repairs etc.

When we were shopping last year we were looking for an older Marathon / Prevost. The plan was buy an older cosmetically worn out unit then have it rebuilt at the factory. The issues with that plan is that Prevost based units have tighter floorplans due to the lack of or smaller slides. Yes they are high quality builds but but when parked we wanted several things in the floor plan.

Thanks man..
I always allow some padding for remodeling and repairs so I'll be setting aside about $30k to make her my own..

Whomever buys my current Thor Outlaw is going to make a way like a bandit:

Upgraded from 5k Onan genny to 7k

Upgraded 13.5k AC units to 15k high efficiency units

Suspension upgrades:
-Sway bar up front
-Additional stabilizer in the rear
-New Koni shocks all the way around
-New Sumosprings from and rear
-SAFE T PLUS Hydrolic steering stabilizer
-Manged to increase increased the toy hauler load max from 1.5k to 4.5k lbs.

Limo tint all the way around
3M ceramic tint front and sides for reduced heat

Thermo insulation in AD ducts and room
Thermo insulation in fridge cabinet to reduce heat and insulate fridge better
Thermo insulation in front engine cover

Plus a number of other things that were for me
Like a $25k sound system with 9 amps and 25 speakers.

They are going to love it!
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Mark D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
Thanks man..
I always allow some padding for remodeling and repairs so I'll be setting aside about $30k to make her my own..

Whomever buys my current Thor Outlaw is going to make a way like a bandit:

Upgraded from 5k Onan genny to 7k

Upgraded 13.5k AC units to 15k high efficiency units

Suspension upgrades:
-Sway bar up front
-Additional stabilizer in the rear
-New Koni shocks all the way around
-New Sumosprings from and rear
-SAFE T PLUS Hydrolic steering stabilizer
-Manged to increase increased the toy hauler load max from 1.5k to 4.5k lbs.

Limo tint all the way around
3M ceramic tint front and sides for reduced heat

Thermo insulation in AD ducts and room
Thermo insulation in fridge cabinet to reduce heat and insulate fridge better
Thermo insulation in front engine cover

Plus a number of other things that were for me
Like a $25k sound system with 9 amps and 25 speakers.

They are going to love it!
All the type of updates you listed will most likely be on a higher end coach. What suffers when you buy an older coach is the bell and whistles. Entertainment systems etc. But you have the right idea. Goodluck!
__________________
2011 American Coach, American Eagle 45B with 650hp ISX on a Liberty Chassis K3 with two Vizsla's and two cats.....
Mark D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Domo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 1,098
We got our immaculate 2008 Tiffin 36 QSH for $80,000 with 85,000 miles.

It's not even broken in IMHO. We did replace the captain's chairs, added reclining theater seats, removed a jack-knife love seat and installed a fireplace and elevator TV in one cabinet.

Have no problems other than infrequent corroded connectors. No failures of components. No regrets.

We fulltime...
__________________
2008 Phaeton 36QSH, Safe-t-Plus, Quadra Bigfoot
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/ flat tow wiring mod.
Blue ox, BrakeMaster + BrakeAway, diode lights and charge.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 24,353
Quote:
Would you say that there is a noticeable difference jumping between $150k to 200k when looking at last decades RV's?

The difference is a maybe two model-years and not really significant. I just today saw a ad from a guy who wants to sell his 2011 American Revolution 42T, asking $190k (private seller).



If you want shorter, you may have to go back a few ears anyway - the near-luxury coaches went mostly beyond 40 ft after 2009.



I sold my super-clean 2004 American Tradition 40V for $69k and that was two years ago.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition and several other RVs
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 6,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
Going from a Thor Outlaw (gas) to a DP, I am looking to spend about $150k
I might go high as $200k if I find something that is over the time spectacular but $150k is comfortable.

I'd rather let someone else take a nice slice of depreciation off the top go with something that is used.

But how used?

MSRP for a 2015 model might have been around $225k
MSRP for a 2010 model might have been around $450k

So with my budget, would you rather own a $450k rig that is 8 years old
or a newer RV that started out around $225k

In either case I'd be looking for low miles with the firm understanding that I'd have to do SOME work to get them..

I'd love some input.
Budget seems to be Clear - but - what are YOU trying to get to?

I'm pretty sure that that I like Many are totally confused as to what the Mission is?

What do you want - What will you Do With it? - How can we help out if You are not really sure what you want?

To the single Question as to Buying a Higher Quality Coach vs a Lower Quality Coach - Simple older but Higher Quality is Simply Better - IMHO - Better, much Better.

So work on the Mission - List what you are going to need to Meet your Requirements - THEN - start the search to find a Good High Quality used Coach that meets Your requirements. Stay on Mission - Stay in Budget - It's out there but without a Firm List of Needs, not much that we can contribute, especially if the Target keeps Changing/Moving.

JMHO,



__________________
Busskipper
Location - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 Toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Budget seems to be Clear - but - what are YOU trying to get to?

I'm pretty sure that that I like Many are totally confused as to what the Mission is?

What do you want - What will you Do With it? - How can we help out if You are not really sure what you want?

To the single Question as to Buying a Higher Quality Coach vs a Lower Quality Coach - Simple older but Higher Quality is Simply Better - IMHO - Better, much Better.

So work on the Mission - List what you are going to need to Meet your Requirements - THEN - start the search to find a Good High Quality used Coach that meets Your requirements. Stay on Mission - Stay in Budget - It's out there but without a Firm List of Needs, not much that we can contribute, especially if the Target keeps Changing/Moving.

JMHO,



Thanks for the kind approach and solid advice.

The RV we have now is an Outlaw.
A gas guzzling toy hauler that we bought to use at Burning Man every year.

I am our camp's kitchen lead and I bring the heat in the RV.
The toy hauler carries our camps kitchen equipment. Smoker, oven, sink, stove etc.. All propane and commercial restaurant stuff.

I decided to build an art car for burning man.
Probably a Toyota taco chassis chopped up a bit with a 15k watt pro audio sound system with a freezer to pass out Popsicle during the day with hot box to pass out pizza slices at night.

I need to trailer that thing and the Outlaw cannot pull it plus all of our restaurant equipment plus the new stuff I want to buy.
I am going to go with an enclosed trailer to haul everything from Phoenix to Black Rock City Nevada where the burn is every year.

So now, I want a DP that is crazy strong.
I don't want to ever worry about the engine or tranny due to the demand I put on it. Ultimately, I'd like an 8.9 with Allison 4k so that I can have peace of mind that I have more than I need.

I am not certain how much weight I will be pulling, but I know that if I have room in the trailer, I'll find something to stuff in it.

Our Outlaw is 38' feet long. the back 10 feet is garage which leaves us about 28' of livable space.
So stepping down in total length to 34' is actually a nice jump for us to live in.
I am ok pulling a 24' trailer behind a 40' RV, but in an attempt to reduce the gross weight, and make it easier for my wife to drive (without the trailer) as well as gas, I'd like to keep it smaller. 32-34 would be nice but 36' would be fine.
If I have to suck it up, and go with a 38 footer, I will but I'd rather keep it smaller if possible.

That right there just about sums it up, but I'd be happy to answer any other questions in more detail!
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the best Class A or As to look at for 150k to 200k Raz6200 Class A Motorhome Discussions 41 09-27-2017 08:22 AM
Hit milestone today..150k dmurdock Vintage RV's 5 04-21-2017 07:22 PM
Help me finalize my first RV purchase - sub 30ft, $150k budget jbt1125 iRV2.com General Discussion 13 05-22-2015 01:15 PM
Does Anyone Spend Winter In Florida? DCTENT Monaco Owner's Forum 23 07-06-2008 01:53 PM
How much do you spend at CW or other RV store? Mrs. Mik iRV2.com General Discussion 14 02-18-2005 10:06 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.