Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #1

15W-40 in 2019 V10

Just had my MH serviced today and once I got home, and read over all the invoice, I noticed that it stated 15w-40 oil used as opposed to 5-20 or 5-30. Should I be concerned or is the only difference I’m going to see is lower mpg due to higher viscosity? I know Ford specs 5/20 or 5-30......,just trying to decide if I need to go back and make a bunch of noise to replace the oil, or not.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would take it back

I forgot that my Jeep 5.7 Hemi was suppose to use 5W20 and instead put 5W30. My check engine light came on, took it to Autozone and they ran the code, my oil sensor failed and I ended up replacing and changing the oil. Far as I know it didn't hurt the engine for the short time the 5W30 was in.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Just had my MH serviced today and once I got home, and read over all the invoice, I noticed that it stated 15w-40 oil used as opposed to 5-20 or 5-30. Should I be concerned or is the only difference I’m going to see is lower mpg due to higher viscosity? I know Ford specs 5/20 or 5-30......,just trying to decide if I need to go back and make a bunch of noise to replace the oil, or not.
15-40 oil is usually for old Volvos or some diesel engines and Onan generators. Not putting in what is noted on the oil filler cap is just weird, dumb.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Have the correct oil installed, don't forget the filter has the heavy oil in it too.
If the engine is under warranty, 15W40 may invalidate any warranty claims in the future.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:19 PM   #5

Before you go thru any oil and filter changes, look at the oil specs for the engine. The oil in it may be on the list.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:26 PM   #6

As a former powertrain systems engineer, the 15w-40 will not hurt your engine or make a measurable difference in your fuel mileage. The only reason FORD uses 5w-20 oil is to help meet CAFE corporate standards.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
As a former powertrain systems engineer, the 15w-40 will not hurt your engine or make a measurable difference in your fuel mileage. The only reason FORD uses 5w-20 oil is to help meet CAFE corporate standards.
In total agreement,15/40 would provide more consistent lubrication and cooling in a high stress/heat scenario.
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:32 AM   #8

Have used 10w40 for years we live in very hot climate
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
having a father that for many years was in with the api (he ran an oil company) and being in az the oil i run in my class a is the same as the oil i run in my mini cooper and my harley shell rotella t6 15w40.

15W40 means that at cold temperatures the oil has the same viscosity as SAE 15W oil. At high temperatures it has the same viscosity as SAE 40 oil.

The Society of Automotive Engineers or SAE has established an arbitrary scale for the viscosity of motor oils. The scale ranges from 0 to 60.

The numbers from 0 to 25 have the letter W added. This means that they are "winter" viscosity, for use at lower temperatures.

The viscosity of a liquid is its resistance to flow. High intermolecular forces between the molecules cause a high viscosity.

As the liquid warms up, the added kinetic energy overcomes some of the attractive forces. The viscosity decreases. Hot molasses flows more readily than cold molasses.

A single grade oil like 15W or SAE 40 oil has a high viscosity when cold and a lower viscosity when hot. The first number 15W is the viscosity of the oil at cold temperature, and the second number 40 is the viscosity at 100 °C.

The 15W40 designation means that the oil is a multigrade oil. It has the viscosity of 15W when cold and the viscosity of SAE 40 when hot. This means that one type of oil works in all temperatures.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #10

After reading comments, I went back to my service guy who changed out the oil and filter and only charged difference in cost per quart. We both agreed that we should have stated oil type requiring at service write up. My assumption was service person would put in what was on oil cap. Problem solved. Thanks for responses back.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:28 PM   #11

Quote:

MAKE a LOT od noise that could cause big problems
especial in cold weather.

I am sure they are going to tell you it was a typo and claim they used the correct grade oil. Do not accept that answer insist they do another oil change ASAP
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
After reading comments, I went back to my service guy who changed out the oil and filter and only charged difference in cost per quart. We both agreed that we should have stated oil type requiring at service write up. My assumption was service person would put in what was on oil cap. Problem solved. Thanks for responses back.

I don't go to my Accountant and then tell him how to do my taxes.
TELL them that is BS they are a oil change shop.
They are responsible to use the correct grade oil.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 08:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Guess I wasn't clear in my post - the shop drained the 15 - 40 and put in the right oil and new filter. I was only charged the different in price per quart.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
I don't go to my Accountant and then tell him how to do my taxes.
TELL them that is BS they are a oil change shop.
They are responsible to use the correct grade oil.
Reread post #10.

Tags
v10